Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 03:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe summoned by Aus Government...

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 22, 2013 03:24 |  #46

Well, that's one point. The other point is that normally when purchasing a product from another country they will honor warranty - provided you ship the goods back to that country of purchase. I'm happy to do that - pretty easy with data. ;)

Lame excuse indeed.

I've worked with international companies (even sat next to the CEO of one at a table years ago at a conference) - where they are warm towards you, inviting and direct and honest at Q&A time. Adobe comes across nothing like this now - and quite the opposite. The impression is that he's just a greedy sod, who doesn't respect us as clients and treats us like some politicians treat people. Dodge questions, beat around the bush, give lame excuses, etc - we're just a means to an end to this bloke.

My personal opinion is that Adobe needs a new CEO. This one's losing the plot. The developers at Adobe do a fantastic job - and they deserve a better CEO to represent them too!

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 22, 2013 04:07 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

There's no such thing as price gouging. If customers aren't willing to pay the price, they won't, and the price will drop. If they are willing, then the price is set correctly. Adobe should ignore the summons, or respond with a letter saying, "bite me."

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

kram
obvious its pointless
2,610 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 22, 2013 04:08 |  #48

There are few areas where the forces of capitalism dont work the way they should. Smaller markets for software is an example....and from Adobe's point of view, the price elasticity is not big that pricing it crazy generates a bigger profit :)

I have had the same issue with The Economist. The issue in the US is sub 100$ most times - the same here in Dubai is 337$!!

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 22, 2013 04:11 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Jahled wrote in post #15733838 (external link)
Get real mate, who want's to be shanked on pricing just because it's regional; even beyond the taxed from cradle to grave culture, the mark up is harsh

Then don't buy their product. It's really that simple. If you choose to buy, you can't say that you were gouged.

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 22, 2013 04:11 |  #50

Read more here...
http://www.adelaidenow​.com.au …ry-e6frea6u-1226602766888 (external link)

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 22, 2013 04:14 |  #51

"Cogs wallop" is going into my day-to-day.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

agb
160 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 22, 2013 04:38 |  #52

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15742280 (external link)
"Cogs wallop" is going into my day-to-day.

Except that it should have been "codswallop" Meaning a load of rubbish.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 22, 2013 04:39 |  #53

ScubaDude wrote in post #15742278 (external link)
Then don't buy their product. It's really that simple. If you choose to buy, you can't say that you were gouged.

...sure he can. You can say anything you like. You seem all for the free market: but you don't believe in free speech? If you believe in free speech, you should be supporting his right to say anything he likes: its that simple.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2013 04:45 |  #54

It's 'codswallop', not 'cogswallop'.

So, they'll charge you Aussie prices if you're dumb enough to buy locally, but you can get foreign prices when you order from BHphoto, or another internet retailer, as easily as you can buy lenses or cameras from overseas retailers? Easy enough - no wonder local retailers are doing it tough!

agb
160 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 22, 2013 04:50 |  #55

Shadowblade wrote in post #15742310 (external link)

So, they'll charge you Aussie prices if you're dumb enough to buy locally, but you can get foreign prices when you order from BHphoto, or another internet retailer, as easily as you can buy lenses or cameras from overseas retailers? Easy enough - no wonder local retailers are doing it tough!

I doubt if I can get an upgrade from Cs5 to Cs6 through BHphoto. And the price difference between the Adobe US download site and the Aus download site is $199 vs $337.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2013 05:04 |  #56

agb wrote in post #15742318 (external link)
I doubt if I can get an upgrade from Cs5 to Cs6 through BHphoto. And the price difference between the Adobe US download site and the Aus download site is $199 vs $337.

That's just asking people to use VPN or proxy IPs...

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 22, 2013 05:48 |  #57

Shadowblade wrote in post #15742310 (external link)

I'll never live that down now! :oops: Thanks for the correction. :)

Thanks for the link. It's not often a company trying to win business is willing to be so arrogant upfront. The fact that the company is effectively stating that 'customers can go elsewhere if they don't like it' proves to me as though they already know that they have the industry standard - and anyone working in that industry are already backed into a corner.

I suppose the big question is however - where will the Australian government go from here (if at all) after Adobe's, Microsoft's and Apple's response.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 22, 2013 19:56 |  #58

adza77 wrote in post #15742377 (external link)
I suppose the big question is however - where will the Australian government go from here (if at all) after Adobe's, Microsoft's and Apple's response.

As I understand it, the beef with Apple is the cost of iTunes downloads, not any of Apple's hardware. The studios negotiate the prices for those media so I wonder if any of them are getting called to testify.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2013 05:55 |  #59

ScubaDude wrote in post #15742274 (external link)
There's no such thing as price gouging. If customers aren't willing to pay the price, they won't, and the price will drop. If they are willing, then the price is set correctly. Adobe should ignore the summons, or respond with a letter saying, "bite me."

ScubaDude wrote in post #15742278 (external link)

Actually, no it's not. what if there is no choice? You *must* have Lightroom, because that, for whatever reason, is the requirement for your study, work, whatever. You can't not buy it. You have to bend over and take it.

Imagine, if you will, that all cars in the USA doubled in price, and you HAVE to buy a new car. No choice. The guys on the other side of the nearest border buy it for half the price, but you don't have access, because you are not from there.

You must buy a new car, it is for your new business, and there are tax benefits to buying new. Do you decide to just scrap your business plans because the prices for cars doubled? Or do you suck it up? Your call.

People who don't have to buy it, pirate. It's that simple.

For a short time, Lightroom actually dropped in price to match the US pricing. Guess what? Just about everyone I know who previously pirated it, *BOUGHT* it. You know, with money...

Funny how that works...

Z...

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 23, 2013 22:50 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

EtherealZee wrote in post #15745980 (external link)
Actually, no it's not. what if there is no choice? You *must* have Lightroom, because that, for whatever reason, is the requirement for your study, work, whatever. You can't not buy it. You have to bend over and take it.

Imagine, if you will, that all cars in the USA doubled in price, and you HAVE to buy a new car. No choice. The guys on the other side of the nearest border buy it for half the price, but you don't have access, because you are not from there.

You must buy a new car, it is for your new business, and there are tax benefits to buying new. Do you decide to just scrap your business plans because the prices for cars doubled? Or do you suck it up? Your call.

People who don't have to buy it, pirate. It's that simple.

For a short time, Lightroom actually dropped in price to match the US pricing. Guess what? Just about everyone I know who previously pirated it, *BOUGHT* it. You know, with money...

Funny how that works...

Z...

It's absurd to say that you have no choice. Of course you have a choice. Either go with Corel or any of the DOZENS of other image editing options, use your photos straight out of the camera, or sell your camera. If I owned the company, I would just pull out of the Australian market and refuse to sell there until the government butted out of my business.

sponsored links

5,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe summoned by Aus Government...
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.