Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Mar 2013 (Friday) 09:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a fix to allow 7D A/F at f/8

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,209 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 22, 2013 09:56 |  #1

IMO, Canon really dropped the ball when they disallowed autofocus at f/8 on the Canon 7D. I know that hemongous ISO capability and video is what sells cameras these days, however the addition of the f/8 autofocus capability would allow photographers shooting the 400mm f/5.6L lens to retain A/F using a 1.4x TC. Additionally, it would allow photographers ahooting with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens to use a 2x TC if they desire. I would not desire this but would love the ability to convert my 400mm f/5.6 lens to a 560mm f/8 and still retain (even if rather slow and with center point focus only) A/F.

Is there any type of aftermarket fix which would allow me to retain A/F with the 400mm f/5.6L lens + 1.4x TC. I don't wish to tape off the contact points. However, since people have successfully done that (even with slow focus results); it seems to me that this might be possible!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 22, 2013 10:27 |  #2

RPCrowe wrote in post #15742999 (external link)
IMO, Canon really dropped the ball when they disallowed autofocus at f/8 on the Canon 7D.

Until they decided to activate F8 AF on the 5D3, only 1 series cameras have ever had F8 focus.

Taping pins/non reporting TC's is going to be your only route.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 22, 2013 16:14 |  #3

IMO, Canon really dropped the ball when they disallowed autofocus at f/8 on the Canon 7D. I know that hemongous ISO capability and video is what sells cameras these days, however the addition of the f/8 autofocus capability would allow photographers shooting the 400mm f/5.6L lens to retain A/F using a 1.4x TC. Additionally, it would allow photographers ahooting with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens to use a 2x TC if they desire. I would not desire this but would love the ability to convert my 400mm f/5.6 lens to a 560mm f/8 and still retain (even if rather slow and with center point focus only) A/F.

Is there any type of aftermarket fix which would allow me to retain A/F with the 400mm f/5.6L lens + 1.4x TC. I don't wish to tape off the contact points. However, since people have successfully done that (even with slow focus results); it seems to me that this might be possible!

Plus one
I would rather of had this feature than all the freebies given to us in the version 2.0 firmware upgrade.
Something practical for users and sells 100-400 f5.6 lenses and extenders

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 22, 2013 16:33 |  #4

Is this only pertaining to extenders?

alann
Goldmember
2,611 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 23, 2013 00:11 |  #5

Yup... 1DX. :)

My FLickrPage (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 05:32 |  #6

Submariner wrote in post #15744301 (external link)
I would rather of had this feature than all the freebies given to us in the version 2.0 firmware upgrade.

If you want slow, inaccurate, unreliable AF then why not just tape the pins? It would be just the same as switching the restriction off in the firmware.

But a firmware change would result in Canon going out of business as it spent billions trying to handle all of the support calls from people whose AF wasn't working properly.

Submariner wrote in post #15744301 (external link)
Something practical for users and sells 100-400 f5.6 lenses and extenders

Until the users, fed up with the AF not working properly, returned the lens, the extender and their camera.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 23, 2013 05:41 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

IMO, Canon really dropped the ball when they disallowed autofocus at f/8 on the Canon 7D. I know that hemongous ISO capability and video is what sells cameras these days,

What Humongous ISO capability? Anything above 800 on the 7D is unusable...more 'grain' than a beach...

And I know what you mean about a/f...

I have a 100-400 and a 2x converter...nice 1280 mm (effective) on the 7D but 'live view' is a pain in the arse...if I wanted to use a big screen, I wouldn't have brought an SLR.

Mind you, 8fps is handy for motorsport...

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

grasshopper315
115 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 23, 2013 07:11 |  #8

STIC wrote in post #15745968 (external link)
What Humongous ISO capability? Anything above 800 on the 7D is unusable...more 'grain' than a beach...

Untrue. I shoot and print indoor sports at 1600 with little grain and noise and needing only little pp. 3200 is also still very usable, but takes some pp with nr.

snapperz
100 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 23, 2013 08:03 |  #9

hollis_f wrote in post #15745961 (external link)
If you want slow, inaccurate, unreliable AF then why not just tape the pins? It would be just the same as switching the restriction off in the firmware.

But a firmware change would result in Canon going out of business as it spent billions trying to handle all of the support calls from people whose AF wasn't working properly.

Until the users, fed up with the AF not working properly, returned the lens, the extender and their camera.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. The 5DIII AF with taped pins is pretty atrocious in my experience yet Canon have committed to making it work with a firmware update.
Making a camera/lens combo AF by taping the pins and optimizing firmware to facilitate AF at f8 are very different things.
Admittedly it may not be in Canons financial interest to do it.
I imagine the 7D would do it less well than the 5DIII/1DX and servo AF would probably be a no-go but I don't see why a useable system for f8 AF on stationery subjects couldn't be done.

Gear

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 08:06 |  #10

snapperz wrote in post #15746159 (external link)
Making a camera/lens combo AF by taping the pins and optimizing firmware to facilitate AF at f8 are very different things.

Er, how?

There is no 'optimizing' of the firmware, all they will do is rewrite the switch that goes - "If aperture is equal to, or greater than, 8 then do not allow AF" to "If aperture is greater than 8 then do not allow AF".

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2013 09:08 |  #11

STIC wrote in post #15745968 (external link)
And I know what you mean about a/f...

I have a 100-400 and a 2x converter...nice 1280 mm (effective) on the 7D but 'live view' is a pain in the arse...if I wanted to use a big screen, I wouldn't have brought an SLR.

But that still wouldn't work with f/8 AF anyway. So far as I am aware, there isn't a DSLR made by any manufacturer that can AF at f/11.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 23, 2013 12:01 |  #12

hollis_f wrote in post #15745961 (external link)

Always keen to learn. Are you saying that making the 7D restricted to F8 would make it awfully slow at autofocusing; as its too dark for the sensor to focus quickly?

I always thought it focused at its widest aperture and then stopped down to the set aperture, to take the picture.

So I guess that means a zoom would take the widest aperture for a given focal length and then reduce that by one stop for the tele-convertor?
So how do the 1 series do it ? Are their sensors more expensive or bigger? To enable them to do it?
I guess I was confused as I heard the 1Dx initially didn't do F8, likewise the 5D3 , but both were going to be changed by a firmware upgrade?.
Does that mean when the 5D3 does support AF at F8; it too will be slow to focus?
Or is it a function of expensive sensor technology?

Maybe I am confused but I thought I read somewhere that Nikon supported F8 autofocus in mid range priced cameras.
Trying to get my head around this. I.e. will Canon deliver F8 supporting bodies in the mid range in the future? Or is it a fact that if you want reach you need a very big wallet and or a crop camera .))

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Josh13
164 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2013 12:25 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #13

I have a 7D 400 f5.6l and a non reporting Tamron 1.4x tc. In anything other then Bright light and high contrast situations it does not lock on with auto focus. In bright light and high contrast situations it is slow and inaccurate at best and is not even close to acceptable. It will just hunt all day long with no lock. Even if it were allowed to auto focus with a reporting teleconverter f8 auto focus would be basically useless. They would have to do more then just turn the feature on in the firmware for it to be useful.

5DIV, Elan 7n, 400 f4 DO I, 100-400mm II, 1.4x TCIII, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Tokina 12-28 f4, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8 STM, Flashpoint 620m, YN14EX.
A7rIII, A6300, 100-400 GM, 85 f1.4 GM, 90 Macro, 55 f1.8, 16-35 F4, 35 f2.8, Batis 25 f2, Samyang 14 f2.8 AF, MC-11.
D500, 200-500, Tokina 300 f2.8, 35 f1.8
S110, D20, Hero 6, 3+

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,531 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2013 12:47 |  #14

Submariner wrote in post #15746826 (external link)
Always keen to learn. Are you saying that making the 7D restricted to F8 would make it awfully slow at autofocusing; as its too dark for the sensor to focus quickly?

I always thought it focused at its widest aperture and then stopped down to the set aperture, to take the picture.

Yes (sort of). It would make the AF too slow and inaccurate in such a way that Canon doesn't feel it's a good enough combination to allow; and they feel that it would negatively impact their users enough that they disable it in their firmware. The ways around this are, as mentioned, using non-reporting TCs or taping pins so that the TC can't report that aperture back to the camera.

Here's a pretty good writeup on the Canon AF system, overall: http://www.the-digital-picture.com …-Autofocus-Explained.aspx (external link)

Basically, as mentioned earlier, the firmware just looks to see what the maximum aperture of a given lens is to determine whether to allow/disallow auto-focus. With a zoom lens like the 100-400, most likely, it doesn't even look at the range of apertures; it just checks what the maximum aperture is at the longest focal length to determine the maximum aperture. And then just says "oh, f/8? Nope, disable AF".

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 23, 2013 14:37 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

grasshopper315 wrote in post #15746066 (external link)
Untrue. I shoot and print indoor sports at 1600 with little grain and noise and needing only little pp. 3200 is also still very usable, but takes some pp with nr.

Just how large do you print?

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

sponsored links

2,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a fix to allow 7D A/F at f/8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.