Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 07 Feb 2006 (Tuesday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Best Train Shot......

reole
716 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 20, 2013 14:37 |  #1681

bryanlee1981 wrote in post #15734767 (external link)
@reole - Yeah I have some from the other side but the background was pretty cluttered. I'm actually in Hawaii now. I haven't lived in Jax for a couple years. I suppose I should update my location, lol.

when people start worrying about backgrounds (which = real life, not set up) that prevents themselves from taking pictures of whats in the foreground..... you need to just say "who cares" and take the shot.

its not how you take the picture, its the final result before editing.

sponsored links
Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 23, 2013 07:40 |  #1682

reole wrote in post #15736624 (external link)
..... you need to just say "who cares" and take the shot.

Quite right, if all you want is a snap.

Mark.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 23, 2013 10:55 |  #1683

RWK wrote in post #15728547 (external link)
I don't know about best. But I like this one. Taken 7 years ago, when I bought the Rebel XT.
QUOTED IMAGE

RWK, are those passenger trains in Alaska? I assume that is inter-city? Wow, didn't know that.. I assume that is targeted towards tourism?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 23, 2013 12:57 as a reply to  @ Scrumhalf's post |  #1684

The ARR doesn't do anything intercity. The coaches in the back are some of the cruiseship companies coaches. In the winter the only passenger trains running are on the weekend. Anchorage to Fairbanks on Saturday & returns on Sunday, ARR coaches only. During summer it is daily - 1 train each direction with tour coaches on the end of the train.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

reole
716 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 23, 2013 23:47 |  #1685

Madweasel wrote in post #15746114 (external link)
Quite right, if all you want is a snap.

your point? the line between porfessionals, semi professionals and amateurs is quite thin now.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 24, 2013 13:00 |  #1686

reole wrote in post #15748578 (external link)
your point? the line between porfessionals, semi professionals and amateurs is quite thin now.

I didn't mention anything about professionals and amateurs. If you take a shot without concern for the background you're taking a "record shot"; a snap that says, this is what I saw. It's consideration for the smaller details, such as lighting, background, and other distractions that lifts a shot from a snap to a piece of art, which is what most people on this forum are apiring to. As I say, if all you want is a snap then go for it. You're not taking it for me anyway.

Mark.

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 24, 2013 13:18 |  #1687

reole wrote in post #15748578 (external link)

I disagree. The ease of making images may have been thinned, but everyone has eyes to see what's in front of them before they shoot. Granted that we can't always get just what we want, but when they take the time to process an image & post it in the forum, we have to think that they were doing the best that was possible under those conditions. So if we see where the image might have been improved by something simple, like taking the car keys out of their pocket & moving it away from a humongous pole, then we're going to say so.
And don't give me a title "Just a quick shot", either. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 24, 2013 14:53 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #1688

JoeyBowman wrote in post #15465402 (external link)
I cant speak for the Dash 9 in the shot, but NS still has a lot of locomotives that are set up for "long hood forward" operation. I see them all the time down here in the Carolinas.

I doubt that Dash-9 is set up for long hood forward operation. Most of the newer locomotives have "safety cabs" and there is no need to operate long hood forward.

2cruise wrote in post #15532124 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

No. 11 used to belong to the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum, where I am a volunteer...

Frosticles wrote in post #15579038 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Are those Deltics? The Deltics have a very interesting prime mover.

vettracer wrote in post #15621201 (external link)
Took the family to the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum in Campo this weekend. they have an interesting collection of old equipment. Also a fun train ride south to the Border and back.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I thought that 1366 looked very familiar when I scrolled down. :mrgreen:

Here's a shot of the steam locomotive in your second shot with a bit of an antique treatment. This was when we had it outside for it's 100th birthday celebration last year.

IMAGE: http://johnwright.smugmug.com/Trains/Pacific-Southwest-Railway/Pacific-Southwest-Railway/i-mGR7jSL/0/XL/IMG_100-2740-40D%280620316796%29-Edit-2-XL.jpg

John

Richard1959
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 24, 2013 17:07 |  #1689

JWright wrote in post #15750336 (external link)
Are those Deltics? The Deltics have a very interesting prime mover.

They are Class 37 English Electric V12 diesels later in life some were fitted Mirrlees Blackstone MB275Tt or Ruston RK270Tt. The Deltics were a large class 55 their engines were a deltic form engine

Sometimes I take good photos other times !!!!
EOS 5DMkiv EF100-400L f4.5-5.6, EF24-105L f4, EF16-35L f4 EF50 1:1.8 II, EF28 1:2.8 & 580EXII and some triggers. Lightroom & Photoshop CC

My Flickr (external link)

reole
716 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 24, 2013 20:28 |  #1690

opinions are like butt holes....

MPCman
858 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 25, 2013 01:39 |  #1691

[offtopic]
I'm planning a roadtrip through the SW USA and am trying to include some train stuff. If anybody has idea's on my trip, feel free to comment in this thread:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1286283

Thanks!

I hopefully will be able to add a lot of nice pics to this thread afterwards :D
[/offtopic]

7D, EOS-M, 100-400 L, 15-85, Tokina 11-16 2.8, EF-M 11-22, 55-200

reole
716 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2013 07:35 |  #1692

Madweasel wrote in post #15750021 (external link)
I didn't mention anything about professionals and amateurs. If you take a shot without concern for the background you're taking a "record shot"; a snap that says, this is what I saw. It's consideration for the smaller details, such as lighting, background, and other distractions that lifts a shot from a snap to a piece of art, which is what most people on this forum are apiring to. As I say, if all you want is a snap then go for it. You're not taking it for me anyway.

oh so you think most shots taken in the 1950s and 1960s as far as motorsports went, you think the photographers thought about how the backgrounds went or were they more interested in what was going on in a foreground? sometimes record shots as you call them or snap shots last longer or have more long term effect than setup or thought out shots.

Frosticles
588 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 25, 2013 09:16 |  #1693

reole wrote in post #15752651 (external link)
oh so you think most shots taken in the 1950s and 1960s as far as motorsports went, you think the photographers thought about how the backgrounds went or were they more interested in what was going on in a foreground? sometimes record shots as you call them or snap shots last longer or have more long term effect than setup or thought out shots.

This. :)

Kind regards, Kevin
My Fickr - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/28825728@N08/ (external link)

reole
716 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2013 12:06 |  #1694

gotta keep the amateur in you but strive to be the professional....

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,192 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 25, 2013 12:56 |  #1695

this guy passed by my office a couple of hours ago :-)

an old Norfolk Southern Steam Engine passed by my office.

didn't seem right to have a color photo of something so old and unique.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8594236002_241aa33162_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pw_photo/859423​6002/  (external link)
Southern630-Sepia-WM (external link) by PLL Photography (external link), on Flickr

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

sponsored links

1,319,196 views & 7,271 likes for this thread
Post Your Best Train Shot......
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.