Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just got a loan, yipee. What to buy? Please help

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,277 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 23, 2013 09:58 as a reply to  @ post 15745682 |  #136

Rarit-T

What are your thoughts on renting equipment before you buy? A few have suggested it. Opinions in this thread have run the full spectrum from "400mm will be a bit short" to "have just two lenses and get creative". A dozen different lenses and maybe 4 different bodies have been suggested to you. If you haven't actually handled (for at least a couple of days not just 2 hours) this stuff you will not know if they will meet your shooting desires and you may feel disappointed after a purchase.

Rent, rent, rent, then buy for keeps. Think about it.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

sponsored links
cameraperson
817 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 23, 2013 10:30 |  #137

alann wrote in post #15745595 (external link)
Have you ever used a loan to purchase a car ?
Just sayin. ; )

Yes. It was a huge mistake. Never buy new unless you have to.

Xsi, 18-55

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2013 11:13 |  #138

I find it hard to believe that no-one else on these forums has used credit to finance a camera. That said you would want to be sure of what you buy. Used is not always a bad thing, renting before buying sounds great but not everyone can do that, where I live it has never been an option.

As for never buying new unless you have to, what a crock...at least with new you know how its been treated, same as a car really. The only cameras I have purchased used are the 1DIII and 5D classic, I have no regrets buying all the cameras Ive had new

just worked out that from 2005 to 2012 I brought and sold 5 camera (i used) and it cost 7450 sold them off for 3200 so it cost me 4250 for five cameras over 7 years

I still have three cameras (two purchased new) so Im happy with that

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2013 11:22 |  #139

Rarit-T wrote in post #15740176 (external link)
I'd prefer new - i know where it has been and will have the full waranty. And again I have never dropped this amount of cash so really want new; kind of screwy, i know.

Warranty is only one year on canon body's and lenses.

The shutter life rating is merely an expectation(with a true distribution that canon would never reveal) on when it will fail.

So again why do you want such expensive toys? You sound an aweful lot like myself. Also there is absolutely NO reason to call someone else bitchy. Because honestly you are coming off as ignorant and childish.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 23, 2013 11:51 |  #140

aladyforty wrote in post #15746672 (external link)
As for never buying new unless you have to, what a crock...at least with new you know how its been treated, same as a car really. T

Yeah. Buying a car brand new is pretty dumb too. It's one thing if the one you want simply isn't available used, but I'll take a 1 yr old car with 10,000 miles over a new one any day.

Warranties on canon bodies and lenses are only 12 months. If warranty is that important then you can always buy one from Adorama for about $30 for 3 yrs. (give or take depending on value) and it's a better warranty too.

Also, even new, you have no idea how it has been handled in transport and in the store. What kid dropped it from a 12 ft ladder or when the skid fell off the truck at the loading dock.

But hey. I won't be offended if you don't want to take the advice of mine or others. It's your money. Blow it as you wish.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 23, 2013 12:47 |  #141

aladyforty wrote in post #15746672 (external link)
renting before buying sounds great but not everyone can do that, where I live it has never been an option.

That may in fact be true for many because of the country they live in. However a lot of rental places now just ship the rental items to you so it doesn't matter where you live. I guess there are the few that live in area that there's no delivery service, but even for a lot of them the town that they go into for food/supplies does.

BTW, I just googled camera rentals in Australia and this is what I found in the FAQs from the very first rental place I clicked on:
I can't make it to pick up from you. Can you deliver?
Yes we can. For greater Sydney we either use a courier or deliver ourselves, for places further away we use Express post Platinum with next business day delivery guaranteed (please let us know your post code and we'll find out if it fits to AuPost's area for this service).

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 23, 2013 13:30 |  #142

kfreels wrote in post #15746790 (external link)
Yeah. Buying a car brand new is pretty dumb too. It's one thing if the one you want simply isn't available used, but I'll take a 1 yr old car with 10,000 miles over a new one any day. .

Must be a lot of dumb people in the world.

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 23, 2013 14:05 |  #143

Fill your boots and do what you want.

I would shop carefully for used (with warranty) and spend the difference playing with my new toys on a vacation.

Cameras and Lenses are no different than anything else. The first owner takes the biggest hit on depreciation. The second owner will as well but certainly not as much. Bodies will depreciate the most. Good glass will still depreciate but not as much as a body will.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 23, 2013 14:51 |  #144
bannedPermanent ban

cheezz wrote in post #15747084 (external link)

That there are.

cameraperson
817 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 23, 2013 15:24 |  #145

cheezz wrote in post #15747084 (external link)

There are, but that's what cash for clunkers was all about, making used cars scarce so you'd have to buy new. It was to make you dumb and buy a new car.

OP: Just blow it. Go get the best you can. It's fun to get new stuff....until the bill comes and comes and.....

Xsi, 18-55

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2013 18:15 |  #146

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #15746943 (external link)
That may in fact be true for many because of the country they live in. However a lot of rental places now just ship the rental items to you so it doesn't matter where you live. I guess there are the few that live in area that there's no delivery service, but even for a lot of them the town that they go into for food/supplies does.

BTW, I just googled camera rentals in Australia and this is what I found in the FAQs from the very first rental place I clicked on:
I can't make it to pick up from you. Can you deliver?
Yes we can. For greater Sydney we either use a courier or deliver ourselves, for places further away we use Express post Platinum with next business day delivery guaranteed (please let us know your post code and we'll find out if it fits to AuPost's area for this service).

well, Sydney aint the whole of australia, I live in country south western australia and I'm a courier so I know the price charged for courier Items and its not cheap. Always amuses me how people think Australia is just Sydney Broome and ayres rock (Uluru) ! Next day guaranteed delivery don't exist in my town unless its within this state and not always then. I can rent in my capital city which is a 5 hour drive away but rent for a week and I would have almost forked out the price of a rebel body.

original poster, get what you want but be sure you do a bit of research, if you are going to keep the camera a long time, get the best you can afford, have a think about some used ones. Not everyone upgrades as often as I have

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 23, 2013 19:14 |  #147

aladyforty wrote in post #15747823 (external link)
well, Sydney aint the whole of australia, I live in country south western australia and I'm a courier so I know the price charged for courier Items and its not cheap. Always amuses me how people think Australia is just Sydney Broome and ayres rock (Uluru) ! Next day guaranteed delivery don't exist in my town unless its within this state and not always then. I can rent in my capital city which is a 5 hour drive away but rent for a week and I would have almost forked out the price of a rebel body.

Well, I wasn't implying that you should rent from the place in Sydney, like I said it was just the first place I clicked on after the search to see if places in Australia offer shipping of rentals like many do here. I also don't know what National shipping rates are in Australia but here it doesn't cost all that much from east to west coast unless it's overnight, I'd image there would be others places that offer this that are closer to were you live, you say you're in the southwest so maybe Perth.

Anyway my point wasn't totally directed at you specifically but for people like yourself that do live 5hr drive(in your case) from a place you can rent, that there might be a place that ships for a price that's a viable option so that you can try before you buy, especially for the really higher $$$$ items you can't make up your mind on.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2013 19:57 |  #148

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #15747986 (external link)
Well, I wasn't implying that you should rent from the place in Sydney, like I said it was just the first place I clicked on after the search to see if places in Australia offer shipping of rentals like many do here. I also don't know what National shipping rates are in Australia but here it doesn't cost all that much from east to west coast unless it's overnight, I'd image there would be others places that offer this that are closer to were you live, you say you're in the southwest so maybe Perth.

Anyway my point wasn't totally directed at you specifically but for people like yourself that do live 5hr drive(in your case) from a place you can rent, that there might be a place that ships for a price that's a viable option so that you can try before you buy, especially for the really higher $$$$ items you can't make up your mind on.

I have wanted to rent say a lens when I've been up there in the city, I think one time I wanted to rent for a day but the price was rediculous, Im gathering its not so bad elsewhere.

I just made my purchases from reading threads like this about various lenses cameras. Watched a lot of Utube clips as well :D Ive sold off very few lenses over the years but upgraded the bodies.

I personally think the glass is the most important thing, however if someone like the original poster says he plans to keep the camera a long time and wants "new" only, Id be doing heaps of research.

I personally have always found thats its easier to buy the previous model when the new one has just come out because of the dramatic price drop. I have no plans to buy the 5DIII right now as much as Id love it because I personally think its too much to spend. However if the OP is hell bent on getting it maybe its worth it it for him. I know if I was using credit Id have to be very sure of what I was buying as who wants to be paying for a camera they don't really like a year or so down the track.

I do see the point that some are making about the buying of used gear but some people have been quite rude in the way they have commented. Its not our place to question how he pays for the equipment. What ever he ends up with I wish him luck

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 23, 2013 20:10 |  #149

Rarit-T wrote in post #15740075 (external link)
Sorry if this is repeating many issues (which I know it is) but I have been researching this for two weeks now and my head is muddled. I have a 450d at the moment and am not totally experienced by any means; so any overly abundant tech language will add to my woes :)

Ok, I want to do nature photography (including birds) , architecture and landscapes and have just under £4000 to spend. I also will do some macro stuff every now and then but compared to my 450D I have a feeling I will cream myself at the quality anyway!

Here's my dilemma...

Issue 1 – which camera?
The 6D or the 5D mark 3?
I was originally going to go for the 6D as that seemed suitable for my needs but the 61 point auto focus on the 5D threw a spanner in that thinking. I don't really need the wi-fi or GPS and thought that the auto focus will allow me to track flying birds a lot more accurately than the 6D. The extra megapixels will always come in handy if I need to crop and for printing stupidly large prints. I just read a thread on here about the sensor being better than on the 6D than the 5D m3! Another spanner. My feeling is here that for longevity, the 5D m3 will be better; I really do not want to spend 3 years paying off a loan and feel I made the wrong choice! But obviously the compromise is the price because I am going to need everything from a bag to filters to lenses and the body.

Issue 2 – which lens?
If I am spending this much I am obviously going for the best quality images I can! So which lens?
I going to get the body with the 24 – 105mm L kit, so my understanding is that this should be good for landscapes (with the full frame sensor ) and general portraiture. It should cover most basic needs but will it produce good quality macro shots (not a biggie!)?

For nature:
option 1: 70-300mm L with 1.4 extender mk3 – I only started researching this combo tonight so am a bit foggy on how good this is, but the consensus seems to be good IQ (although not as good as the 400mm prime) and fast auto focus. Does it work effectively with the extender?

Option 2: 100-400mm L IS. I suppose this lens will fit in nicely with the 24-105 mm L. But from what I have read the quality is slightly less than the 400mm prime especially at full length and a bit soft around the edges; but it does have IS and will compliment the above lens.

Option 3: the 400mm prime L – I know it doesn't have IS but the arguments are 50/50 from what I have read – it has a faster focus and slightly better IQ. I feel I could get by without IS and improve my hand held stability – I may be deluding myself!

All of these take me just over my budget and leave me no room for a bag or for filters; I am thinking that because I am getting £1000 lenses it would be prudent to get some protective UV filters.

Other questions:
I also want to do some sunset shots so can anyone recommend a good polariser for a good price for L lenses.
What bag will fit these lenses at a good price.
A good monopod – I have a good tripod already.
A good memory card at a good price – compact is best is it not?
I am hoping that (maybe wishing) that because I am dropping £4000 in one hit I might be able to haggle a bit and get some freebies – has anyone known this to happen? Maybe the filters for free?

If you got this far I thank you for any advice and/ or suggestions. I am scared dropping this cash! Probably my biggest ever spend excluding a car purchase – exciting and spooky! Thanks again.

Wow, you want to do a lot of different things with your camera, wich is fine.
You have a lot of choices, but i'll tell you what I would do.

Camera)
First thing first, for birds you don't need a full frame, apsc will do just fine, but if you take that road, its costly, lets say a

5d3)
with a great autofocus, but you lose a lot of reach, from the sensor.
Maybe a refurbished,

6D)
(still lose reach)would be great for everything but not a good as for shooting fast erratic movements such as wildlife, but great for landscape, city, sunsets and more.

7DII)
I would get maybe the new 7DII coming soon, after 5 years of waiting you could wait another 5 months ;)

New cameras with great deals for now

7D used to be expensive but now you it at a cheap price.Its grainy when you crop, I prefer the 5dmkII, very fats AF compared to the 5dmkII

5DmkII

Great camera. IQ is very nice, comes with a 24-105 wich is great all around.
Tokina 11-16 its a dx model, but its still great and real sharp.

LENSES

Why don't you go and rent some nice lens for the week ends, its not expensive, or maybe buy a used one from someone you know, or have it check before you buy it from a camera dealer.

Since you get a $6000 loan, and like new stuff, the 5d3 with a converter and rent a lens , specially on a nice summer day.Get a nice flash, 580exII
A tripod and a camera bag and a fast flash card.

Like I said, renting is a great way to go.
10x$25=250, wich is not too bad for a whole year!

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2013 21:45 |  #150

sega62 wrote in post #15748113 (external link)
Wow, you want to do a lot of different things with your camera, wich is fine.
You have a lot of choices, but i'll tell you what I would do.

Camera)
First thing first, for birds you don't need a full frame, apsc will do just fine, but if you take that road, its costly, lets say a

5d3)
with a great autofocus, but you lose a lot of reach, from the sensor.
Maybe a refurbished,

6D)
(still lose reach)would be great for everything but not a good as for shooting fast erratic movements such as wildlife, but great for landscape, city, sunsets and more.

7DII)
I would get maybe the new 7DII coming soon, after 5 years of waiting you could wait another 5 months ;)

New cameras with great deals for now

7D used to be expensive but now you it at a cheap price.Its grainy when you crop, I prefer the 5dmkII, very fats AF compared to the 5dmkII

5DmkII

Great camera. IQ is very nice, comes with a 24-105 wich is great all around.
Tokina 11-16 its a dx model, but its still great and real sharp.

LENSES

Why don't you go and rent some nice lens for the week ends, its not expensive, or maybe buy a used one from someone you know, or have it check before you buy it from a camera dealer.

Since you get a $6000 loan, and like new stuff, the 5d3 with a converter and rent a lens , specially on a nice summer day.Get a nice flash, 580exII
A tripod and a camera bag and a fast flash card.

Like I said, renting is a great way to go.
10x$25=250, wich is not too bad for a whole year!

You just confused issues, by contradicting yourself. You say that OP doesn't need FF for wildlife, and then say that 7D is grainy when cropped. Wildlife (especially birds), is where you crop tight, more than anywhere else!? :confused:

Kel
Gear

sponsored links

24,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just got a loan, yipee. What to buy? Please help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.