Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

*facepalm* This is why I tell people who know nothing about photography to get a P&S!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 22, 2013 16:17 |  #91

Hey, my first car, as a teenager, was a simple Volkswagen Bug. Nothing fancy, in fact I never looked to getting a "luxury" car 'till, well, umm, forget that, I've never looked to owning a "luxury" car, although I did "dream" about the Corvette Stingray that came out when I was young...in fact, I didn't even get a "modern" car until, gosh, I was "Married With Children", in fact, my first was a used station wagon that I managed to pick up from a car dealer who was a client of mine. When I told him I was looking for a used station wagon for $1,000 he actually laughed at me! But then, maybe a week later, he called me up and said "you'll never guess at what I have for you here"!

Hey, when you think about it, that's kind of like finding a used camera on a special $1,000 deal here! Whoo Hoo!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 23, 2013 02:54 |  #92

A lot of PS users add call wide angle and tele converters "lenses" and think they can change lenses.

I have a friend who thinks like that. She's convinced that adding a tele converter is changing lenses.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2013 05:35 |  #93

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15745803 (external link)
A lot of PS users add call wide angle and tele converters "lenses" and think they can change lenses.

I have a friend who thinks like that. She's convinced that adding a tele converter is changing lenses.

It's still more than many DSLR/mirrorless owners do ;)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,016 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 23, 2013 13:51 |  #94

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15745803 (external link)

I thought I could add a macro lens to mine. It turns out not.

Blame Canada for what PS users call things? No, blame Canon. An e-mail from customer support:

Dear Xxxxx Xxxxx,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, there are no macro lenses that will work with the G15 camera. The G15 camera is compatible with the TC-DC58E tele-converter lens and Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC58L. It also uses the Filter Adapter, FA-DC58D. For further assistance, please call our Canon Presales Department . . .

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 23, 2013 15:14 |  #95

I was going to add into this, salespeople that know nothing about cameras. I was at Best Buy one time, just looking at what they had (not much, big surprise). A lady came in and asked the sales guy what would be recommended for shooting her son's little league games. The salesman came back and said she wanted something at a high frame rate. I faked looking around for another few minutes, trying not to groan at the continued wrong explanations. Finally, the salesman left for a second, and I told her she's actually looking for something capable of a fast shutter speed if she's looking for clear, crisp pictures, and that the frame rate has little to do with that.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2013 18:53 |  #96

Luxornv wrote in post #15747350 (external link)
I was going to add into this, salespeople that know nothing about cameras. I was at Best Buy one time, just looking at what they had (not much, big surprise). A lady came in and asked the sales guy what would be recommended for shooting her son's little league games. The salesman came back and said she wanted something at a high frame rate. I faked looking around for another few minutes, trying not to groan at the continued wrong explanations. Finally, the salesman left for a second, and I told her she's actually looking for something capable of a fast shutter speed if she's looking for clear, crisp pictures, and that the frame rate has little to do with that.

Actually, he was right. Pretty much every camera is capable of 1/4000s shutter speed, way more than the minimum needed for sports (Most sports photos are in the 1/250s to 1/2000s range).

However, to catch the EXACT moment, you need a high frame rate...hence why the 1D cameras have been the weapon of choice of countless sports photographers over the years.

Of course, a camera with a great (fast and accurate) AF system is also preferable when shooting sports.

-=Gear=-

ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Mar 24, 2013 06:13 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #97

My partner has an old 8mp Sony P&S which she uses all the time and always on green box mode, she has no concept of shutter speed or ISO. She's not interested in another camera and she consistently produces fantastic photographs which often make me envious of her compositional abilities ( she is an artist by profession). I'm a RAW only purist with Zeiss glass and full frame DSLR but wish I could produce photos like she does.

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

ckramos
179 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 24, 2013 07:05 |  #98

This thread is a facepalm. I thought it might have been different. S.ole.S

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 24, 2013 07:07 |  #99

ckramos wrote in post #15749071 (external link)
This thread is a facepalm. I thought it might have been different. S.ole.S

Thank you for your input! It is highly valued and our future activities will reflect the policies which will be put in place thanks to your brilliant and benevolent feedback! :D

-=Gear=-

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 25, 2013 05:35 |  #100

Luxornv wrote in post #15747350 (external link)

When I was shopping around for a Fuji camera (torn between X-PRO1 and X-E1) I asked the salesperson where the continuous focus setting was. She didn't know what continuous focus was, so I had to explain. When she got it, she stated that those cameras didn't have autofocus in the first place, they only did manual focus. To her credit, she didn't seem too sure of it as she said it.

Eh, I don't blame her. She was probably just trying to pay the bills; I wish all salespeople were experts in their fields but you can't realistically expect that at the Best Buys of this world. Plus, she kept her booth open for me a few minutes after closing hours, which is more than I've got from most vendors. I'd start a thread on the strangest things we've heard from salespeople, but I'm afraid it'd be unnecessarily mean.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

12,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
*facepalm* This is why I tell people who know nothing about photography to get a P&S!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.