Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 21:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aurora Borealis with 500D

jdp3000
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2013 21:14 |  #1

Hello, this is my first post on the forum, so apologise if the "What is the best lens ..." question has been asked many time before.

I guess the answer to "What is the best lens for the job" - is likely to be something way out of my price range, so instead my question is

"What would be a reasonable lens for the job?" - so not blurry - and with a fairly impressive frame - so wide field of view.

So far my thoughts were tending towards one of these two

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
Sigma EX Macro lens - 28 mm - F/1.8

Can anyone please offer advice on this ? ( or suggest alternate lenses I should be considering )

many thanks

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 05:38 |  #2

Depending on which camera you have - The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for an APS-C; the Canon 16-35 f2.8 for FF.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Ice ­ Can-Am
311 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 23, 2013 09:05 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #3

Get the Tokina 11-16 Before i only used the kit lens witch only has the maximum of F/3.5
And after i got the Tokina my Aurora pics Just differ like night and day.
And to be able to have the f/2.8 through 11-16 mm is awesome.

Just remember on a full frame lens to multiply with 1.6 the mm of the lens.
like if you would have a 14 mm samyang fullframe lens on a crop camera you only have 20 mm.

My FLickr (external link)
Northern Light Catcher (external link)
500PX (external link)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III - EF 16-35 F/2.8L II USM - EF 50mm F/1.8 II - RC-6 Remote Controller and Camlink TPCARBON28 tripod.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 09:28 |  #4

Ice Can-Am wrote in post #15746294 (external link)
Just remember on a full frame lens to multiply with 1.6 the mm of the lens. like if you would have a 14 mm samyang fullframe lens on a crop camera you only have 20 mm.

Er, nope. A 14mm Samyang on a crop camera will give the same field of view as the 11-16 at 14mm.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

Ice ­ Can-Am
311 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 23, 2013 09:50 |  #5

hollis_f wrote in post #15746352 (external link)
Er, nope. A 14mm Samyang on a crop camera will give the same field of view as the 11-16 at 14mm.

I was told that a lens made for full frame camera does not give you the same mm's on a crop camera. how do you know that is not true ?

500PX (external link)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III - EF 16-35 F/2.8L II USM - EF 50mm F/1.8 II - RC-6 Remote Controller and Camlink TPCARBON28 tripod.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 10:53 |  #6

Ice Can-Am wrote in post #15746402 (external link)
I was told that a lens made for full frame camera does not give you the same mm's on a crop camera. how do you know that is not true ?

It's a common misconception. Read this post for an explanation.

jdp3000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 23, 2013 12:05 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #7

Thank you both very much for responding.

The Tokina looks like the way to go , next job will be trying to find a bricks and mortar shop in the UK that stocks them at a reasonable price.

Thanks again for your advice .

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 13:07 |  #8

There's a new version of this lens recently released. The main improvements were for the Nikon version - changes to the AF. The Canon version has had the lens coatings improved, but I've seen two reviews where the difference was minimal.

What it does mean is that the original version is still available for a bit less than the new one. At WEx the new one is £550 while the old is £500.

Ice ­ Can-Am
311 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 23, 2013 14:57 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #9

I bought the cheaper one from B&H photovideo and it came to me after 2 days, :)

From USA to Cologne (ups center) and Cologne to Kef Airport.

500PX (external link)

jdp3000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 23, 2013 16:01 as a reply to  @ Ice Can-Am's post |  #10

This is for a self drive trip to Iceland end of this month, so moving all round Iceland & really hope to get to see the Aurora which is the prime reason for the trip ... but since I only have 18-55 kit lens would I be better off stomping up the extra and getting Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ?

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2013 16:22 |  #11

I'd seriously consider renting the Tokina - LINK (external link)

evan55
38 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 24, 2013 00:51 |  #12

I've taken a few star trail pics with the Tokina 11-16 2.8, it's definitely my favourite lens

60D | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 18-200 | Canon 75-300 | RC-6 | YN-568ex | YN-622 | RØDE Videomic

jdp3000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 30, 2013 13:04 as a reply to  @ evan55's post |  #13

Picked up a Tokina 11- 16 MK 1 .
spending a few days getting to grips with it before the trip.
Thanks for the feedback & advice.

Ice ­ Can-Am
311 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 31, 2013 10:22 as a reply to  @ jdp3000's post |  #14

Awesome, You will love the sharpness of that lens.

feel free to check out my pics with the Tokina. My Flickr. (external link)
If i use my Tokina i put it in the tags as well.
I only shoot raw and use lightroom to develope the raw files. If you use LR you probably know that you can fix distortion there as well.

500PX (external link)

sponsored links

3,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aurora Borealis with 500D
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.