Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just got a loan, yipee. What to buy? Please help

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,019 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2013 10:31 |  #166

aladyforty wrote in post #15749528 (external link)
I wish these forums had a like and a dislike button :-)

In a way, they do. If it's a thread you like or dislike, you can rate the thread (see "thread tools" at the top).

If it's a forum member you like or dislike, you can express that by quoting the member, then either expressing that you like what they said and how they said it, or you can say that you think they are wrong, or snobbish, or full of themselves, etc.

I think this is better than just a like/dislike button, as you can point out what it is you like or dislike, and explain why.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 24, 2013 10:46 |  #167

Gomer wrote in post #15749531 (external link)
I just reached the point of TLDR.

I reached the point of "Ignore" with that one guy posting about buying a miata... LOL

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 24, 2013 13:12 |  #168

Rarit-T wrote in post #15740141 (external link)
@ delhi:
Wow, my first post and so many great answers- how i fund my stuff is up to me buddy. I do not like that shirt your wearing but i do not tell you, lol. But the short answer is yes - depreciation is irrelevant if i never intend on selling it! A camera is for life not just for christmas! Alternatively do you want me to wait 3 years to save the money up? Or pay a measley £600 to get my dream toy now; thanks ever so for your concern - it is duly noted and forgot. I could not argue with the 7% loan :)

How you fund your stuff may be up to you, but you opened the topic up for discussion by posting about your chosen funding method in the thread subject.

Film cameras may have been for life, but I believe that digital cameras have put an end to this. Whereas in a film camera the body was relatively unimportant because the image quality was dictated by the lens and the film, with a digital camera the sensor and processor affect the image quality significantly and newer cameras can have a marked improvement on image quality for a given lens.

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 24, 2013 13:22 |  #169

For the person who buys used cars only....I got some used tires for sale.

For the OP: I would do the same thing if I were to indulge myself.... I won't be starving as a result.

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 24, 2013 13:26 |  #170

XterraJohn wrote in post #15750058 (external link)
How you fund your stuff may be up to you, but you opened the topic up for discussion by posting about your chosen funding method in the thread subject...

But he has also tried to close that discussion by stating over and over that he is looking for advice on what to buy, not how to buy it.

Yet, the preaching continues.... :rolleyes:

Tom

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 24, 2013 15:50 |  #171

Rarit-T wrote in post #15740075 (external link)
Ok, I want to do nature photography (including birds) , architecture and landscapes and have just under £4000 to spend.Issue 1 – which camera?
Issue 2 – which lens?

Other questions:
I also want to do some sunset shots so can anyone recommend a good polariser for a good price for L lenses.
What bag will fit these lenses at a good price.
A good monopod – I have a good tripod already.
A good memory card at a good price – compact is best is it not?
I am hoping that (maybe wishing) that because I am dropping £4000 in one hit I might be able to haggle a bit and get some freebies – has anyone known this to happen? Maybe the filters for free?

Hi,

I won't comment on your camera body choices because I'm not familiar with either of your options.

For the lenses: the 24-105 is a good choice, very versatile. It has some issues at the wide end (which you can deal with in pp), and you may want to consider this since you're wanting to photograph architecture, but honestly, it's such a useful range.

For the longer lens: I'd suggest one of the zooms, rather than the prime, again for the flexibility. As for the choice between the 70-300 and the 100-400, it would depend if you expect to use the 300-400 length a lot, or just occasionally. If a lot, I'd recommend the 100-400. Extenders are fine for occasional use, but you wouldn't want to be using one all the time. You lose one stop of light, and they affect AF speed as well. However, if you think you'd use 300-400 only occasionally, then the 70-300 is an outstanding lens. Of the two, it's smaller and easier to carry around, is newer, has a better IS system, and is extremely versatile.

One thing you don't mention is a flash, but you should definitely have one on your list, especially if you're going to do portraits and macro. Any of the Speedlites will be fine.

You should also budget for an extra battery for whatever camera you choose.

Don't buy cheap UV filters, they will ruin your images.

As for a bag: it depends if you want to carry a laptop or not. The kit you propose to buy will be fairly heavy, so I'd suggest a backpack rather than a sling bag. Go to the store, try them out, see which you like best. I personally like the Tamrac Evolution series, but there are loads of options available.

I would wait before buying a monopod. You may well not need one.

And lastly, I'd also recommend either an online class to help you get to know your new camera, or a decent book on exposure and lighting.

Good luck, and enjoy your new kit!

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 24, 2013 15:56 |  #172

I cant find a :rolleyes: big enough for this thread

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,843 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 24, 2013 16:28 |  #173

panicatnabisco wrote in post #15750496 (external link)

Wat? lol

notastockpikr
414 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 24, 2013 17:39 |  #174

I was initially inerested in the title of this thread until about three posts in when the OP started to dump on respondents for questioning the OP about going into debt to buy "toys". If the OP wants to do this, it is really his business. But, as one respondent stated, the OP did say, in the thread title, that he got a big loan to buy all this stuff. As a result, when you are going to announce it, then be prepared for the comments or don't say anything about loans.

With all due respect to the OP, I'm only offerring friendly advice here. Going into debt as much as you are to purchase eccentially "toys" is not the best idea. If you were making some money with your equipment, then that's another thread. It sure sounds like the OP has been caught up in the "who's got yh best and nicest, most expensive gear" craziness. Also, forgive this assumption, but the OP sounds rather young in age.

Save your money for the equipment you want. Practise your craft with the equipment you have and great photographers are not made because they have a 1Dx and a 600L II. My 2 - cents as it were.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2013 17:46 |  #175

notastockpikr wrote in post #15750783 (external link)
I was initially inerested in the title of this thread until about three posts in when the OP started to dump on respondents for questioning the OP about going into debt to buy "toys". If the OP wants to do this, it is really his business. But, as one respondent stated, the OP did say, in the thread title, that he got a big loan to buy all this stuff. As a result, when you are going to announce it, then be prepared for the comments or don't say anything about loans.

With all due respect to the OP, I'm only offerring friendly advice here. Going into debt as much as you are to purchase eccentially "toys" is not the best idea. If you were making some money with your equipment, then that's another thread. It sure sounds like the OP has been caught up in the "who's got yh best and nicest, most expensive gear" craziness. Also, forgive this assumption, but the OP sounds rather young in age.

Save your money for the equipment you want. Practise your craft with the equipment you have and great photographers are not made because they have a 1Dx and a 600L II. My 2 - cents as it were.

Yeah.. looks like you should have continued reading past post #3. :rolleyes:

Kel
Gear

notastockpikr
414 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 24, 2013 17:59 |  #176

1Tanker wrote in post #15750810 (external link)
Yeah.. looks like you should have continued reading past post #3. :rolleyes:

It's good that you pointed that out to me. So, when I post my thoughts and opinions the next time, should I check with you? :wink:

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2013 18:08 |  #177

the OP is about 30 from memory, I find it hard to believe that these forums are frequented by people who only buy used or have never taken out a loan for equipment. I just got the impression the OP was excited about finally getting some new equipment, one way or another if you want to buy new equipment, it has to be paid for. Perhaps he would have been wise not to mention loans on here....note to anyone else...don't mention how you get your camera lenses etc....In the end you cant take your money with you

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 24, 2013 18:36 |  #178

panicatnabisco wrote in post #15750496 (external link)

How's this?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Tom

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 24, 2013 18:49 |  #179

i would go with the 5d-3 and the 24-105 lens that comes with it,you can't go to far south,with a kit like this !best of luck....

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2013 19:41 |  #180

notastockpikr wrote in post #15750848 (external link)
It's good that you pointed that out to me. So, when I post my thoughts and opinions the next time, should I check with you? :wink:

You got it ;) lol

Kel
Gear

sponsored links

24,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just got a loan, yipee. What to buy? Please help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.