Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D help

Cassandra
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 24, 2013 20:22 |  #1

Hello everybody! I just got a refurbished 7D from Canon about a week ago. I've played with it a little bit and just brought it back out to play with it some more. Everything so far has seemed fine with the camera but tonight I decided I wanted to see what the depth-of-field button did in live view as the manual says "the depth-of-field preview effect can be clearly visible in live view" That's where my "issue" starts. Camera was set in AV mode and in live view because I really wanted to see this "clearly visible depth-of-field preview". So I was pushing the depth-of-field preview button, in live view, and trying to change the aperture but it wasn't changing. At all. Nothing. It also makes the shutter noise at the half depressed position like it's taking a picture, even though it's not. I can take it out of live view and it works just fine. I reset the camera back to factory settings. The battery still has a full charge on it. Turned the camera off and on. It's still happening. So is this user error or do I possibly have a defective camera?

sponsored links
Cassandra
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 24, 2013 20:26 |  #2

I shall add that it doesn't let me change the ISO either. White balance, and Af/drive work fine. And this is only happening live view.

almeeker
102 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 24, 2013 20:32 |  #3

Cassandra wrote in post #15751371 (external link)
I shall add that it doesn't let me change the ISO either. White balance, and Af/drive work fine. And this is only happening live view.

Call Canon help line.

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2013 21:59 |  #4

What lenses and apertures were you comparing? Were you saying nothing was happening because you were looking in the view finder and not noticing any change or you were watching through the front of the lens and not seeing the blades close down?

M mode the same way?

Can you make the changes to ISO in other modes?

Have you removed the batteries and pressed the button to "reset" the camera?

Which firmware version do you have?

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 24, 2013 23:45 |  #5

Cassandra wrote in post #15751356 (external link)
Hello everybody! I just got a refurbished 7D from Canon about a week ago. I've played with it a little bit and just brought it back out to play with it some more. Everything so far has seemed fine with the camera but tonight I decided I wanted to see what the depth-of-field button did in live view as the manual says "the depth-of-field preview effect can be clearly visible in live view" That's where my "issue" starts. Camera was set in AV mode and in live view because I really wanted to see this "clearly visible depth-of-field preview". So I was pushing the depth-of-field preview button, in live view, and trying to change the aperture but it wasn't changing. At all. Nothing. It also makes the shutter noise at the half depressed position like it's taking a picture, even though it's not. I can take it out of live view and it works just fine. I reset the camera back to factory settings. The battery still has a full charge on it. Turned the camera off and on. It's still happening. So is this user error or do I possibly have a defective camera?

Cassandra wrote in post #15751371 (external link)

Okay, we have three issues going on here:

1.) Changing aperture in Live View mode...What are you doing to try to change it?

In Av a simple roll of the main dial should change the aperture...It doesn't?

2.) ISO can't be set while pressing the DOF preview button...This is normal, release the DOF button and try again.

3.) Shutter-like sound at half-press of shutter button but no picture is taken...Are you in AF Quick mode...If so, then this is normal. If you do not wish to have the shutter-like sound, simply switch to AF live mode.

Mark

Cassandra
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 06:44 |  #6

Motor On wrote in post #15751658 (external link)
What lenses and apertures were you comparing? Were you saying nothing was happening because you were looking in the view finder and not noticing any change or you were watching through the front of the lens and not seeing the blades close down?

M mode the same way?

Can you make the changes to ISO in other modes?

Have you removed the batteries and pressed the button to "reset" the camera?

Which firmware version do you have?

I'm using a 17-55 2.8 lens and in live view mode the only aperture that I could use was 2.8. There is no viewfinder to look through in live view. When trying to change the aperture to something else, it doesn't nothing.

M mode works completely fine. Tv however does the same thing as Av. It's almost like it's in some sort of auto mode. The ISO is changing, but I can't physically change it. In Av, I can't change the aperture and in Tv, I can't change the shutter speed.

I have reset the camera to factory, and taken out the one battery, not the clock battery. And there is a reset button? I'll figure that one out later.

Firmware is 2.0.3

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 06:56 |  #7

Tv and Av are auto modes.

i just tried this...

is your autofocus' box red when trying to make changes? I found I couldn't change ISO until the box went back to white.

otherwise, everything worked properly. i could hear the aperture close down when I hit the DOF preview button, so that worked as well.
im using the same version of firmware as you.

Cassandra
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 07:04 |  #8

rrblint wrote in post #15751930 (external link)
Okay, we have three issues going on here:

1.) Changing aperture in Live View mode...What are you doing to try to change it?

In Av a simple roll of the main dial should change the aperture...It doesn't?

2.) ISO can't be set while pressing the DOF preview button...This is normal, release the DOF button and try again.

3.) Shutter-like sound at half-press of shutter button but no picture is taken...Are you in AF Quick mode...If so, then this is normal. If you do not wish to have the shutter-like sound, simply switch to AF live mode.

1. I'm using the normal dial on the top of the camera to change the aperture. And it does nothing. Note, this is only in live view. With live view is off, everything works how I'm used to.

2. I am no longer pressing the DOF preview button, it's basically when I noticed the "issue". And still it's the same thing.

3. It's like, I half press the shutter button, the camera sounds like it's taking a picture although it isn't, then it autofocuses and I fully press the shutter button and then it takes the picture. So, I switched it to live mode and it no longer makes the shutter sound. But I still can't change the aperture or ISO.

A little more background on my shooting experience. I have had a Rebel XT for the last five years. There is no live view on that camera. So live view is a whole new beast for me although I don't believe that it should be. It just doesn't make any sense that I cannot change settings in Av or Tv mode (aperture/shutter speed, ISO).

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 07:18 |  #9

are you setup to see what your settings are on the back of the camera? (in the live view window?)

you should be able to see the settings changing when you move the dial...

Cassandra
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 07:21 |  #10

Flores wrote in post #15752558 (external link)
Tv and Av are auto modes.

i just tried this...

is your autofocus' box red when trying to make changes? I found I couldn't change ISO until the box went back to white.

otherwise, everything worked properly. i could hear the aperture close down when I hit the DOF preview button, so that worked as well.
im using the same version of firmware as you.

The Tv and Av mode that I'm used to (Rebel XT) allowed me to change the aperture in Av mode and the shutter speed in Tv mode. I also had full control over the ISO.

The af box stays white until focus is achieved then it turns green. Still no changes can be made.

And I still don't get the DOF button, but that is the least of my issues at the moment.

Cassandra
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 07:31 |  #11

Flores wrote in post #15752624 (external link)
are you setup to see what your settings are on the back of the camera? (in the live view window?)

you should be able to see the settings changing when you move the dial...

The settings are there. Although I can't change anything. I tried pushing the "quick menu" and all it brought up is the picture styles, raw/jpeg and i'm guessing movie size. But if I'm in the normal view finder mode, it displays ISO ability to change aperture/shutter speed, af drive, everything. I have no idea if that is normal between live view and view finder. If it is, then I'll let that be.

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 25, 2013 07:38 |  #12

The number 3 issue is most likely the mirror flip, your focus setting in LiveView is set to one that flips the mirror, most probably

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

Cassandra
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2013 07:50 |  #13

Scapevision wrote in post #15752663 (external link)
The number 3 issue is most likely the mirror flip, your focus setting in LiveView is set to one that flips the mirror, most probably

Yeah, I think I "fixed" the mirror flip issue. It wasn't an issue, but I get it now. I change the af mode from quick to live mode and that stopped the double shutter. I'm still stuck with the issue of not being able to change the aperture and iso in av mode in live view (same with shutter speed and iso in tv mode). I have a camera store about 15 minutes from me so I think I'll go there after work to see if they might be able to help me hands on. I just don't know if I'm missing something or something is wrong and I need to return the camera.

rrblint
22,242 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2013 08:07 as a reply to  @ Scapevision's post |  #14

You are in "Movie Mode"...Change the little switch at the top of the camera, just to the right of the OPTICAL viewfinder from the "movie camera" icon to the "still camera" icon and try again.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

rrblint
22,242 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2013 08:11 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #15

This should cure the remaining problems.

Mark

sponsored links

2,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.