Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Mar 2013 (Friday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&W *FILM ONLY* Photography

JessicaLynn22
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 22, 2013 12:31 |  #1

I am currently shooting photographs with a canon 35mm SLR camera, this is the first time doing film (since digital has taken over) - anyways, I am posting because I want to do some experimenting, such as double exposure - im looking for tips as to when I should shot (time of day), which film is best for this task (100 or 400 film) what objects to shot for the first exposure (groud or actual image) - id appricate the help, as I said earlier, im new to film shooting. THANK YOU!

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,396 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 22, 2013 13:40 |  #2

I would check for camera which has separate shutter and rewind mechanism.
Much more easy for multiple exposure.
Moskva-2

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8538541185_8b6aa0202d_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kf095/853854118​5/  (external link)
Busy homework. (external link) by Ko.Fe. (external link), on Flickr

If you taking handheld pictures in low light - 400. If on bright day - 100.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 23, 2013 02:56 |  #3

I really like the bokeh on that shot.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 23, 2013 06:12 |  #4

JessicaLynn22 wrote in post #15743507 (external link)
I am currently shooting photographs with a canon 35mm SLR camera, this is the first time doing film (since digital has taken over) - anyways, I am posting because I want to do some experimenting, such as double exposure - im looking for tips as to when I should shot (time of day), which film is best for this task (100 or 400 film) what objects to shot for the first exposure (groud or actual image) - id appricate the help, as I said earlier, im new to film shooting. THANK YOU!

Double exposures on film require the ability to either

1) Re-cock the shutter without moving the film frame in the camera.
- - - - - - or - - - - - -
2) Advance the film, cocking the shutter, and then rewind the film precisely one frame.

I don't know of ANY 35mm SLR cameras made since the early 1960s that have the ability to do either of these steps.

Some twin-lens reflex cameras including the Mamiya C-33 that I have allow the shutter to be cocked manually without advancing the film.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,559 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 23, 2013 08:38 |  #5

SkipD wrote in post #15746001 (external link)

2) Advance the film, cocking the shutter, and then rewind the film precisely one frame.

I don't know of ANY 35mm SLR cameras made since the early 1960s that have the ability to do either of these steps.

I had a Canon Rebel in the 90's that had the option to shoot without advancing the film to easily allow for multiple exposures on the same frame.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 23, 2013 09:07 |  #6

jra wrote in post #15746233 (external link)
I had a Canon Rebel in the 90's that had the option to shoot without advancing the film to easily allow for multiple exposures on the same frame.

That's good to hear. I've simply never seen a 35mm camera that could do that.

How did the feature work? Was there a control that allowed the film advance lever to be moved but disconnecting the film advance internally or was there a separate shutter cocking device?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 23, 2013 10:22 |  #7

SkipD wrote in post #15746299 (external link)
That's good to hear. I've simply never seen a 35mm camera that could do that.

How did the feature work? Was there a control that allowed the film advance lever to be moved but disconnecting the film advance internally or was there a separate shutter cocking device?

The problem that I suspect jra is referring to is that most of the EOS camera had built-in motor drives/winders that precluded multiple exposures, unless the camera had a function to do so (like my EOS 3).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 23, 2013 10:25 |  #8

JessicaLynn22 wrote in post #15743507 (external link)

1. What camera do you have?
2. Film is film. Choose whatever works for the situation. I'm a big fan of Fuji Acros (100), Delta 100 and Neopan 400. For low-contrast scenes (e.g., cloudy day), Pan F+ and a tripod are a great combination.
3. The developer is just as important as the film you choose. My favs are Perceptol, XTOL and Pyrocat HD.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

J ­ Michael
955 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2013 10:34 |  #9

Consider which elements are included and how an element in one exposure might affect one in another. An easy one - full moon with telephoto lens over landscape shot with a wide angle.

In some cases you want to mask part of the image with one exposure. You can use a black card for this, but note that the card edge will be sharper when the aperture is smaller.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2013 11:16 |  #10

Haven't used film since the late 80's, but multiple exposures was something I missed when I moved to Canon digital bodies. If it can be done with the Canon, I couldn't figure out how to do it. My Nikon D800 can do it, the number of shots is variable from 2 to 10.
Have fun with film, I'll admit I don't miss it.

JessicaLynn22
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 23, 2013 12:27 |  #11

**Tony S: im using a canon ae-1, so ill have to manually rewind to do second shots but my main thing now would be, what do I shoot first if doing two exposures? do i shoot a main object first or sky/ground?! I know sounds silly, right- but im new to film/experimenting double exposure with an SLR. Thank you for your time/help

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 23, 2013 12:35 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #15746001 (external link)

Some twin-lens reflex cameras including the Mamiya C-33 that I have allow the shutter to be cocked manually without advancing the film.

My Nikon FE and FE 2 (which I still have) you can cock the shutter without advancing the film, via a little lever next to the film advance.

http://www.thecamerasi​te.net …ras/Pages/nikon​%20fe2.htm (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 23, 2013 13:35 |  #13

JessicaLynn22 wrote in post #15746903 (external link)
**Tony S: im using a canon ae-1, so ill have to manually rewind to do second shots...

No rewinding necessary. After you take your first shot, simply depress the rewind button on the bottom of the camera. This disengages the film advance mechanism until after you wind the lever once more. So, after pressing the button, cock the shutter with the winding lever - the same frame stays right where it is. If you want to do triple exposure, you have to press the rewind button after the second exposure. And so on.

but my main thing now would be, what do I shoot first if doing two exposures? do i shoot a main object first or sky/ground?! I know sounds silly, right- but im new to film/experimenting double exposure with an SLR. Thank you for your time/help

Lots of creative things to do. You might try an illuminate subject against a dark background so that it takes about 1/4 of the frame in the corner, then move closer to the subject and take it again, this time in the center and towards the opposite corner.

You should probably google "double exposure" and show images in the results. That ought to get your neurons firing. :)

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2013 11:18 |  #14

Sometimes 400 speed is not enough for really dark places, but it is the only BW film speed that I use in 35mm (TriX). You can either push or pull the development depending on your needs. For double exposure, most TLRs have a seperate cocking and winding mechanism, and you can do multiple exposures in cheap rebel cameras.

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6195/6127854022_f1ef56cc5e_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6661999649_ab4077408b_z.jpg

www.raniedib.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2013 13:20 as a reply to  @ Ranie Dib's post |  #15

You can with the Canon EF and the Canon F-1

sponsored links

1,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&W *FILM ONLY* Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.