Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 25 Mar 2013 (Monday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High MP Canon in 2014?

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,604 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 26, 2013 08:39 |  #31

^
Sony is amazing. Wish Canon could catch up to that. Low light low noise. *yum*

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links
JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 26, 2013 08:57 |  #32

jdizzle wrote in post #15756830 (external link)
Here's one. There was another video I found as well and the results weren't worth the effort.

http://allenscamera.co​m …pecials.html#.U​U-MsPq9LCQ (external link)

Are you trying to tell me I need a chap tripod? :)

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2013 09:51 |  #33

JAcosta wrote in post #15756918 (external link)
Are you trying to tell me I need a chap tripod? :)

Hehe! ;) Just sharing the info. :)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2013 09:55 |  #34

Lowner wrote in post #15756819 (external link)
I'd prefer Canon not rush this one. Its crucial to get it right. They have some serious ground to make up and it needs doing with care..

At this point where they are so far behind it might be better to skip the whole cycle and concentrate on what's next. So Canon puts out a body finally matching what others are doing and in the mean time everyone else sprints ahead. It might be better to look down the road and accelerate those programs and not waste effort trying to match the current market.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sploo
premature adulation
2,530 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 26, 2013 10:11 |  #35

Lowner wrote in post #15756819 (external link)
I'd prefer Canon not rush this one. Its crucial to get it right. They have some serious ground to make up and it needs doing with care.

Unlike many here, I want as many MP as I can get, but I also want shadow noise to be a thing of the past.

I know, I was just hinting that I'd seen plenty of "High MP Canon body in 2013" posts, and even some rumours for the 5D3 having 30-45MP in 2012.

Definitely agree on the desire for killing the shadow noise issues. High MP would be nice - but I'd prefer the choice - i.e. fix the shadow noise with a new sensor technology, then release something in the mid-20s and mid-30s (or higher) MP range to cover both types of user (ala D600 and D800).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 26, 2013 10:55 |  #36

sploo wrote in post #15756791 (external link)
Why do I keep getting the feeling you could add an automatic thread generator for "High MP (or DR) Canon in XXX", where XXX = current year + 1 ;)

+1 on your +1 :lol:

It seems like there is a canned unofficial press release that a new high MP camera from Canon is right around the corner. This news item is then re-released every few months. Sooner or later I guess they'll have to be correct.

(Seems like the same thing for the next version of the 7D and the infamous EF 200-400 1.4x.)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

sploo
premature adulation
2,530 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 26, 2013 15:16 |  #37

jrbdmb wrote in post #15757217 (external link)
+1 on your +1 :lol:

It seems like there is a canned unofficial press release that a new high MP camera from Canon is right around the corner. This news item is then re-released every few months. Sooner or later I guess they'll have to be correct.

(Seems like the same thing for the next version of the 7D and the infamous EF 200-400 1.4x.)

Well at some point they're going to have to release a new crop body that doesn't have the same 18MP sensor they've been using since, what, the release of the 7D?

I love the Canon bodies - the 5D3 is almost perfect in handling for me (barring the bizarre decision to move the zoom functionality vs the 7D), but the sensors are indeed now greatly lacking when you consider that the competition seem to be continually moving forward.

As for the 200-400 1.4x... that's just weird. It's not like it's vapourware (I understand it was made available to select people during the 2012 Olympics - and that the feedback was positive). So, surely they've either got a troubling flaw with it, or having problems producing it in large numbers. Can't think of why else they'd design a high-end lens then just not release it.

gjl711
55,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2013 16:35 |  #38

sploo wrote in post #15758258 (external link)
... So, surely they've either got a troubling flaw with it, or having problems producing it in large numbers. Can't think of why else they'd design a high-end lens then just not release it.

I'm guessing it's that. Even if quantities were low, Canon would at least put it out there.

sploo
premature adulation
2,530 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 26, 2013 17:21 |  #39

gjl711 wrote in post #15758608 (external link)
I'm guessing it's that. Even if quantities were low, Canon would at least put it out there.

Just did a few searches, and there's talk of a Q2 release (http://www.canonrumors​.com …roduction-to-begin-in-q2/ (external link)), plus the people who've used it (or rather, the prototypes) seem to think it's stunning. Not something my wallet could stretch to though!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,096 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 26, 2013 17:37 |  #40

jdizzle wrote in post #15755033 (external link)
Have you seen the results with the AA filter removed from the 5D3? Not as good as one might thinks. :)

I read two articles with this result,.

ie: removing the AA filter is not the panacea some people think it is. How it has become such a "Webmand" is beyond me.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 26, 2013 17:45 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15758883 (external link)

ie: removing the AA filter is not the panacea some people think it is. How it has become such a "Webmand" is beyond me.

Photos from the D800e are stunning. Fine detail is amazing. If that is the result of having no AA filter, I'm all in.

Lowner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 27, 2013 03:49 |  #42

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15758883 (external link)

Of course the sensor and in-camera electronics have to be designed to cope well without it. But others have dropped it with gains in quality so I expect no less of Canon. As I've already commented, Canon are currently lagging behind by some margin which is very odd when for years they led the field.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

gjl711
55,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 27, 2013 06:53 |  #43

Lowner wrote in post #15760515 (external link)
Of course the sensor and in-camera electronics have to be designed to cope well without it. But others have dropped it with gains in quality so I expect no less of Canon. ..

Not sure why there would have to be any adjustment to the sensor or electronics. The AA filters has a purely optical effect and removing it just lets more un-blurred photons pass. :):) But removing the AA will not solve the issues Canon has at present. It will sharpen up the image in certain cases a tad but it will also increase moire. It will do nothing for pattern noise and DR.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 27, 2013 06:59 |  #44

gjl711 wrote in post #15760726 (external link)
Not sure why there would have to be any adjustment to the sensor or electronics. The AA filters has a purely optical effect and removing it just lets more un-blurred photons pass. :):) But removing the AA will not solve the issues Canon has at present. It will sharpen up the image in certain cases a tad but it will also increase moire. It will do nothing for pattern noise and DR.

Exactly...

Interesting reads
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XTI​/XTIA4.HTM (external link)
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/t​he_naked_sensor.shtml (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 27, 2013 09:16 |  #45

Absolutely crazy...........

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

9,376 views & 0 likes for this thread
High MP Canon in 2014?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.