Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 11:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ahkphotography

AHKPhotography
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 27, 2013 11:36 |  #1

Hi All;

Very new to the site and very new to trying to get feedback on photographs etc. I've started a website ahkphotography (external link) which shows off my fiancee's photographs. It is very much a hobby and something that i feel she has a talent for.

Whether it be rose tinted glasses or not, i would love for some of you folks who i have seen some of the work and admired greatly to have a look, comment on the guestbook and feel free to send in some pictures for the guest galleries.

We are also looking to partner up with other sites (including this one) to include on the links page. I dont know how to go about this, but if there is anyone interested from either this site or others please drop me an email.

Many thanks, apologies if this is not the right place to post such a comment.

Jack

sponsored links
Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 27, 2013 11:53 |  #2

I would get rid of the music. Your favorite Kenny Loggins song or whatever that was might be someones least favorite. I would also just have a gallery on the front page like a 1000x667 pixels without the moving in and out and panning all over. Make the logo on the top of the site link to the home page.

Some of the pictures look dark but I am on a $75 monitor here at this office so it might just be that....

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2013 12:00 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #3

^^^ What they said.

I've always hated anything auto starting on a website, I wouldn't have so many links on the main menu, or at least nest them.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 27, 2013 12:25 |  #4

Welcome to POTN, she takes nice photographs. Music has to go. I'd like see you fix it so if I'm looking at an image in one of the galleries, say "more favorites" and I hit the go back button on my browser it would take me back to the gallery. It's going back to the home page where I have to listen to more of that music and re-enter the gallery to see another image.
She has a good eye, I like her choice of subject matter and composition in many of them. I would strongly encourage her to continue with her hobby.

AHKPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 27, 2013 12:34 |  #5

Hi All, so far thank you very much for the feedback, i am very pleased that the main objection thus far has been my doing. One of her favourite bands are called Runrig, so I think i will leave the video but not have it on Autoplay as i can see why that is annoying. I'll look in to the other changes... but please all keep the feedback coming!

Any comments on Angela's work would be amazing if it could be left on the guestbook.

Thank you to all thus far though

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 27, 2013 16:11 |  #6

Not to be harsh or anything, but most of her shots look like they were shot with a p&s camera. What is your and her objective for the site? To showcase? To sell?

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

AHKPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 28, 2013 04:39 as a reply to  @ xchangx's post |  #7

Not to sell, if you want to call it a showcase then that's what it is. She has a hobby and thought it would be nice to put them up on a website. It isn't an attempt to compare camera sizes (euphemisms i see regularly on here) nor it is an attempt to be a professional. She enjoys photography and takes i think and seemingly others think some very good photographs.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 28, 2013 07:33 |  #8

If you're showing still photos, don't make them like videos. Show the whole images so the composition can be seen for what it is. Also, make the displayed images larger on the front page so that they can be seen without resorting to a magnifying glass or software tools.

Kill the music.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

PhotosGuy
75,886 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 28, 2013 09:07 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #15764610 (external link)
If you're showing still photos, don't make them like videos. Show the whole images so the composition can be seen for what it is. Also, make the displayed images larger on the front page so that they can be seen without resorting to a magnifying glass or software tools.

Kill the music.

And a lot of those (small) images look to be out of focus. Maybe that happened in the slide show conversion, but it's not something that makes me want to look into her galleries.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

767 views & 0 likes for this thread
ahkphotography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.