Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 19:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Opinions Plz: 60D or T4i ?

doxiedaze3
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 27, 2013 19:30 |  #1

looking to upgrade....
which would you choose?

~*~Kristin~*~

https://www.facebook.c​om/KristinTaylorPhotog​raphe (external link)

sponsored links
outmywindow
672 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 27, 2013 19:39 |  #2

Personally I would choose the 60D over the T4i, and the reasons are more to do with smaller aspects than anything that is too drastically different from the T4i. Both of them have ~5 fps continuous burst, they both have 18mp aps-c sensors, and they both have 9 cross type af points. However the 60D has a slightly larger body that IMHO is easier to grip on to and hold for extended periods of time compared to the T4i, the build quality is improved over the T4i, and it has the top LCD screen for quickly viewing/changing the iso/aperture/shutter speed/battery level/drive mode etc. Also the rear mode wheel and the D-pad on the 60D are nice as well.

However either way, I think its mainly a matter of taste at this point. Back when only the T2i and later the T3i were the only Rebel series options the distinction was much more clear.

Just a soul with a camera

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2013 19:59 |  #3

The T4i has video-focus capabilities, which would be a killer feature if you shoot video. Regardless, I'd recommend waiting for the 70d announcement, expected very soon.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 27, 2013 20:08 |  #4

What kind of photography do you shoot?
What camera do you have now?
And why do you want to get a new camera?

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 27, 2013 20:47 |  #5

rjx wrote in post #15763402 (external link)
What kind of photography do you shoot?
What camera do you have now?
And why do you want to get a new camera?

^^^^
What he said.

+ You need to try them out if you can.

I tried to upgrade from XXXD to XXD (when 40D came out) and I hated it. The IQ was the same, the weight and bulk was much more, this bugged me and I didn't care for top LCD and joystick if it came with a heavier package. I use camera a lot for travel / days out with family and my neck didn't like the difference at all. To me, a Rebel with a grip ($40 if you buy 3rd party) is the best thing since sliced bread - it's large and comfy with grip on, small and portable without, with no sacrifices in IQ.

I didn't realize T4i had the same burst rate as 60D. I knew it had the "pro" AF. To me it's the best camera for the money right now. You should try for yourself.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 27, 2013 21:37 |  #6

They are very different ergonomically. The T4i is smaller and "packs" its controls into a smaller container, whereas the 60D is bigger and the controls are more "finger tip accessible".

Some people are happy with the Rebels "as-is" and just learn to work with the control set efficiently.

Some people use Rebels with "grips", which makes them bigger for people with hands that "want" better handling ergonomics. There are some other "plus" features about grips, but the handling is probably the most popular "pro" about them.

And then, some people just want the bigger camera. In fact, it doesn't stop there. I believe the 7D is a bit more "hefty" than the 60D. And then there is the 5Dx line that is bigger still (due to a larger sensor), and then the 1Dx bodies are pretty hefty, largely because the size is like having a 5D body with a built-in grip!

So really, it would advantage you to find a place that carries both Rebels and one of the xxD bodies -- I believe the 60D and the 50D are pretty much the same size. Handle both. If you have small hands, you may actually prefer the Rebel!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 27, 2013 21:41 |  #7

For an upgrade, I'd go for the 60D.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2013 04:26 |  #8

doxiedaze3 wrote in post #15763280 (external link)
looking to upgrade....
which would you choose?

60D is you don't shoot a lot of video and like the larger sizes

the 60D was selling on the Canon refurbished site for $600

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 28, 2013 08:00 |  #9

i've owned a rebel and a 60D, 60 hands down. if you go for the rebel save the money get the t3i or t2i.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2013 10:31 |  #10

Pretty vague. Depends on what you shoot, what your upgrading from, and why your upgrading.

Lien
280 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 28, 2013 11:57 |  #11

The ergonomics of the 60D is much better over the Rebel line of cameras. But the T4i has a DIGIC 5 chip which should handle high ISO better than the DIGIC 4 of the 60D. I personally would go with the 60D for the better handling.

Canon 6D | Fuji X100 | Fuji XE-2 | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon EF 70-300 IS USM | 430EX | 270EX

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2013 14:43 |  #12

Kristen seems to have "left the building", nothing more to say unless she chimes back in, and at least tells us what she's "upgrading" from and responds to some of the comments!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Opinions Plz: 60D or T4i ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.