Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critique This

modachroma
40 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 24, 2013 20:19 |  #1

All comments and critique welcome from lighting to editing.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Eric
Not that it matters, but here's what's in my bag: 10D | 5D Mark II with Grip | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 40mm f/2.8 STM | 430EX II | Alien Bees
tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 24, 2013 21:19 |  #2

eyes look soft
should have had the wire from the back of the phone...

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 24, 2013 21:30 |  #3

And eyes (Center of attraction - or as you hope to be) is on the darker side.

Its actually good that you don't have the wire at the back of phone.

Image is not as sharp as you want to see it.

Model is too much turned into doll.

Overall a very good image and did great.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

LifeCliques
33 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 26, 2013 02:03 |  #4

I am not a professional, but since I do notice one thing its that her belt part doesnt really fit. Not fault of your own. The undies look too small, she is probably very tall, so it gives an awkward feel to the image. Also, did you have to move a head off of an image to place in this one to make the perfect image? This could be a lighting issue playing tricks, but the technicalities arent my strength obviously (look at MY photography and you'll conclude that) but I can look from a practical standpoint and note little things. Just looks like the head is enlarged by either how the lighting falls or was taken from another image. Hardly noticable, really, so if you did move the the head you did great with it.

But I think its a great photo. Hard to critique it though.

---------------
-Teralyn
Canon T4i. Hobby photographer. Lenses: Canon 24-70 f2.8L II USM and Canon 70-200 2.8L II USM IS but I don't know how to use em yet. Photos can be seen at www.facebook.com/LifeC​liques (external link). I welcome constructive criticism-

bobscape
203 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 26, 2013 05:24 |  #5

I really like this composition but I am not such a fan of the lighting. It looks like you’ve used just one light to the models left and you could have used another from the camera position. This would have softened some of the shadow in her face, legs and arms.

Bob. :D

Canon 5D, 350D, lots of patience and a sack of other stuff.

modachroma
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 29, 2013 08:22 |  #6

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

As far as Photoshop alterations go, I used the liquify tool to slim down her thighs and some muffin top that was coming out of the corset. Looking at it now, I should have used a layer to add in the garter straps at their original proportions because they did get too skinny when I slimmed down the legs.

Lighting. I'm still learning in this area. One main light with an octabox to camera right and a large PLM high and slightly left for fill. Now that I look at the gradient, I think I could move that light lower.

I could probably stand to add some lightness and sharpness to the eyes. However, a little grain was added to give the picture a little more gritty feeling and I was going for a darker, more shadowy kind of look.
The overall look of the model was supposed to be a little glamazon and barbie doll like, so I'm pretty happy with the overall feel of the image and conveying the idea, but I appreciate the critiques on the finer points!

Eric
Not that it matters, but here's what's in my bag: 10D | 5D Mark II with Grip | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 40mm f/2.8 STM | 430EX II | Alien Bees
tumblr (external link)

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2013 00:39 |  #7

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the thighs looked a bit off.

Overall I like the look, and I can see what you say you were trying for. For for my tastes though, I'd like to also see you try it a bit brighter so that it shows off the details in the stockings, corset and her face more; no law says you couldn't shoot it both ways as long as she was already standing there, right?!

Dale

sponsored links

997 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critique This
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.