Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a photography chair/stool

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 28, 2013 08:31 |  #1

I am looking for a mini/foldable chair/stool to take on my outdoor photography trips, I have seen some used by sports photographers before but haven't been able to find any online.

Just a mini/foldable stool to sit on during long exposures or adjusting camera settings..

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

sponsored links
jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 28, 2013 09:30 |  #2

Do a web search for "folding camp stool"

From amazon: http://www.amazon.com …%3Afolding%20ca​mp%20stool (external link)

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

Eastcoast
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 28, 2013 10:27 |  #3

I use one called "walkstool" not particulary cheap but lightweight, comes with its own carrying bag.

You can check them out here:

http://www.walkstool.c​om/ (external link)

and I got mine at Leevalley in Canada. They are available on amazon and at B&H

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&InitialSearch=​yes&sts=ma (external link)

I highly recommend this.

John
Be careful out there!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 28, 2013 10:49 as a reply to  @ Eastcoast's post |  #4

Yup I use one of those 3 legged folding tripod'ish stools .... snagged it out of our camping gear. Sure makes it nice for long exposures and working low to the ground.

Sens0r
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 28, 2013 10:51 as a reply to  @ Eastcoast's post |  #5

Thanks a bunch! These will do..

In fact, that simple search on Amazon yeilded camping equipment makes me want to buy a tent and go camping..

Seems like photography is making me go out more often and doing newer things everyday :)

On to the U.S park search..

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 28, 2013 10:56 |  #6

Sens0r wrote in post #15765198 (external link)
Thanks a bunch! These will do..

In fact, that simple search on Amazon yeilded camping equipment makes me want to buy a tent and go camping..

Seems like photography is making me go out more often and doing newer things everyday :)

On to the U.S park search..

I am loving it, I have lived in oregon all my 27 years, yet in the last 1 year since getting into photography I have seen more of the state then ever before. Havea few out of state camping/hiking trips planned too. The wife is loving it (old hobby was racing RC cars, would travel and camp but at dusty dirty tracks for long weekends lol).

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 28, 2013 21:42 |  #7

I also highly recommend the walkstool. We have two of them!

Canon 5d MK IV, Canon SL2 & Canon G1X MK II

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 29, 2013 07:03 |  #8

Another + for the Walkstool, especially for those of us with figures that can no longer be described as 'sylph-like' without a very stretchy imagination.

I had one of those cheap camping-shop 3-legged stools that worked very well. Until the time I was sitting on it backed-up into a gorse bush as far as I dared. Then I heard an ominous tearing noise and watched in stunned silence as the metal leg ripped through the nylon and thrust up between my legs. Luckily (??) I avoided dreadful injury as the remains of the stool tipped me backwards into the gorse. My friend dragged me out (once she'd stopped giggling) and helped patch up the worst of the scratches.

That was the day I decided that a Walkstool was definitely not too expensive. It's since done an admirable job of keeping my bottom out of gorse bushes and similar.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Mar 29, 2013 07:10 |  #9

Here's another thought. <link (external link)> - serves 2 uses. I carry some pouched lens in mine - you might want to carry lunch and a drink.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 29, 2013 09:30 |  #10

Walkstool here. When you get out to the flightline, just about everyone uses one. So they must be pretty good. Had mine several years.... Of all things, seems like it came off EBAY which was cheaper than the AMAZON Retail.

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

tomevision
114 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2013 01:07 |  #11

It's not doesn't collapse, but I bring at least 1 Full Apple Box with me on every location shoot!

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 1Ds Mark II | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 70-200L f/2.8 IS | 4-580EX II | Gitzo GT2540 | Markins Q3/TB-20/PG-50 |

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 01, 2013 10:59 |  #12

Another big vote for Walkstool. These things are awesome. I actually use mine all the time, not just shooting images. I use it all winter long ice fishing. It's very small and light and it's rated to 500 lbs unlike the cheaper knockoffs you see at outdoor stores. And it's made in Sweden, so it must be good! So many people that see mine end up buying one. My dad just bought one to use golfing, he can't stand for a long time but often plays courses in Ireland and Scotland that don't have carts or benches at the tee boxes!

If you must know...

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Apr 01, 2013 14:23 |  #13

Naturescapes.net carries the walkstool, though they are currently out of stock. If you sign up for emails, they send out discount coupons periodically.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

promod
494 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2013 22:20 as a reply to  @ Bearmann's post |  #14

Walkstools are great . I have two plus a couple of these when I will be shooting for extended periods of time ..

http://casual-male-big-and-tall.destinationxl.com …nt=11&scrollTop​=6104&pg=3 (external link)

"if you are tired of starting over , then don't QUIT "

sponsored links

8,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a photography chair/stool
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.