Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Mar 2013 (Friday) 08:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S 17-85 Auto-Focus Hunting

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 29, 2013 08:58 |  #1

I've sewarched the forum for 20+ minutes and not found a thread on my problem.

I have a 17-85 USM 4-5.6 IS that hunts for focus. It hunts about 3 times per second and never locks for longer than 1/3 second.

It does this in all light conditions (bright and dim).
All apertures large and small
All zoom lengths (wide-tele)
All camera modes (Single, AI)
Both cameras (T3i and 20D)
All selected focal points or individual
All camera modes (green box, Tv, Av, P, M, etc.)

Contacts appear to be clean and not damaged.

Does anyone have experience in fixing this or can someone point me to a related thread?

Thanks!

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

sponsored links
slangford
40 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 29, 2013 09:10 |  #2

Easy. Google 17-85 aperture cable problem.

Can pretty much guarantee that's what you have got - i've repaired dozens of them!

Joemt
505 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 29, 2013 09:31 |  #3

I have the same problem, I've been using the lens on a 30D in manual auto-focus. Not as much fun
but presents a challange. I do not own a "non-autofocus" lens, do they have a greater sensitivty
for adjustment? I would hope so....it's sure easy to miss the sweet spot this way.

Joemt.

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 29, 2013 10:42 as a reply to  @ Joemt's post |  #4

Same problem here. I found that if I turn the camera 90 degrees, so the IS & AF switches on the lens are facing towards the ground, the lens works fine.

How much does Canon charge to replace the cable? Will the problem come back in a few years with a new cable? Or Canon did a good way to fix it?

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

slangford
40 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 29, 2013 11:12 |  #5

To replace the cable is a complete stripdown of the lens, so there's a bit of work in it. I can manage the job in about an hour, so budget for an hour or so labour, plus replacement part cost ( the proper way to repair this problem is to replace the whole aperture assembly, which the cable is soldered to, but you can also get the cable on it's own if you're really good at soldering)

The problem occurs because the aperture ribbon cable goes round a very tight radius 180 degree turn. The replacement cables will have the same problem, so it will fail again eventually (usually several years down the line).

cpam.pix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 29, 2013 11:24 |  #6

Thanks, everyone!

POTN comes through with the solution again!

I love this place.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2013 17:53 |  #7

RWK wrote in post #15768904 (external link)
Same problem here. I found that if I turn the camera 90 degrees, so the IS & AF switches on the lens are facing towards the ground, the lens works fine.

How much does Canon charge to replace the cable? Will the problem come back in a few years with a new cable? Or Canon did a good way to fix it?

I had mine fixed last year at the Canon facility in Jamesburg. I think it was $100.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 29, 2013 19:26 as a reply to  @ Mk1Racer's post |  #8

Thanks for the info. I'll send it next week sometime.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

sponsored links

4,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S 17-85 Auto-Focus Hunting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.