Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D vs. canon 50D.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,886 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 29, 2013 08:29 |  #16

If you want to see some real world examples, check out this thread. As NickB points out, the bulk of the thread is a bunch if whiners and 5D fanboyz but there are a few posts in the thread with examples. It's an old thread but then the 5D is a very old camera.
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=6151​06&page=11

Post #158 is interesting because it shows the 50D vs the 5D noise test pushed 2 stops viewed 100%. Pretty much no difference to my eyes.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 29, 2013 09:09 |  #17

if you already have a full frame, use that inside in low light, use the 50d for fast action. 50D is a very good camera, very underated by others.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Drrobinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 29, 2013 10:22 |  #18

gfspencer wrote in post #15768404 (external link)
Sell the 50D and get a 6D.

I ultimately plan on getting a 5D M2. I just know that these two are about the same price so I was wondering which one to keep.

Charlotte NC, Wedding Photographers
Anchor & Veil Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"My Anchor holds within the Veil"

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 29, 2013 14:44 |  #19

The 5D. That way you can easily swap between the 5D and 5D II using the same lenses.

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,157 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 29, 2013 15:53 |  #20

I'd be scared to get 5D over my 50D, because of the lack of MFA in 5D, which almost nullifies its advantage as a FF camera. FF advantage over crop is the most pronounced when you are doing shallow DoF (fast lenses) portraiture. But fast lenses require very accurate AF (because of the shallow DoF), and if you don't have MFA, the FF camera at least should allow you to do accurate manual focusing - but 5D doesn't have LiveView, and I have doubts its focusing screen is good enough to do it visually, with fast primes. So it is quite likely you'll end up spending a lot of $$ to let Canon calibrate your lenses to your 5D. (May be Canon doesn't service 5D anymore?) I'd go for 5D2 instead.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,793 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 29, 2013 16:17 |  #21

gjl711 wrote in post #15768503 (external link)
If you want to see some real world examples, check out this thread. As NickB points out, the bulk of the thread is a bunch if whiners and 5D fanboyz but there are a few posts in the thread with examples. It's an old thread but then the 5D is a very old camera.
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=6151​06&page=11

Post #158 is interesting because it shows the 50D vs the 5D noise test pushed 2 stops viewed 100%. Pretty much no difference to my eyes.

You're entitled to your opinion, even name calling and accusations but it doesn't make you right. The 5d is still better than the 50d for portraits and landscapes until you can prove me wrong. And the overall number of postings in the two dedicated threads of these particular bodies should offer proof enough that the majority of users also think the 5d is the better overall body. Your one thread link doesn't mean anything when compared to the overall body of work and postings here on this forum.

pulsar123 wrote in post #15769989 (external link)
I'd be scared to get 5D over my 50D, because of the lack of MFA in 5D, which almost nullifies its advantage as a FF camera. FF advantage over crop is the most pronounced when you are doing shallow DoF (fast lenses) portraiture. But fast lenses require very accurate AF (because of the shallow DoF), and if you don't have MFA, the FF camera at least should allow you to do accurate manual focusing - but 5D doesn't have LiveView, and I have doubts its focusing screen is good enough to do it visually, with fast primes. So it is quite likely you'll end up spending a lot of $$ to let Canon calibrate your lenses to your 5D. (May be Canon doesn't service 5D anymore?) I'd go for 5D2 instead.

I shoot with fast primes and I've found that bodies that I've owned that have MA are almost always the ones that need it. I have had no trouble whatsoever with front or backfocusing with any body that didn't have MA built into the body. The 5d focuses fine unless you really want to compare it to a 5d miii, 7d or 1d series body. But even then the 5d does just fine during normal shooting sessions.

And Canon does service the original 5d. With 5 gazillion of these bodies out there, they may have parts forever.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 29, 2013 16:36 as a reply to  @ post 15767695 |  #22

I use a 50D and have shot a good bit with a 5D. I won't go so far as to agree that the 50D is better in nearly every way, but I would put the 50D above the 5D as far as what I need from a camera.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

babel_fish
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 29, 2013 23:07 |  #23

Mavgirl wrote in post #15770146 (external link)
I use a 50D and have shot a good bit with a 5D. I won't go so far as to agree that the 50D is better in nearly every way, but I would put the 50D above the 5D as far as what I need from a camera.

I think this boils it down pretty well. Myself, I just want a FF sensor, a shutter button and an M setting. Sure, the display on the back is crap, but I was previously happy without one. For me, 5D is just perfect.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell
"dude, are you even paying attention!,
Mike

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 30, 2013 00:53 |  #24

babel_fish wrote in post #15771241 (external link)
I think this boils it down pretty well. Myself, I just want a FF sensor, a shutter button and an M setting. Sure, the display on the back is crap, but I was previously happy without one. For me, 5D is just perfect.

+1 agreed.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

Drrobinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 30, 2013 08:49 |  #25

This is all great stuff. I think m going to buy the 5D today!

Charlotte NC, Wedding Photographers
Anchor & Veil Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"My Anchor holds within the Veil"

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 30, 2013 11:55 |  #26

ksbal wrote in post #15768627 (external link)
if you already have a full frame, use that inside in low light, use the 50d for fast action. 50D is a very good camera, very underated by others.

Agreed.
Went from 50D to 5DM2 and other than FF and better ISO, the 50D is just as good.
AF is better, a bit, with my 50D.

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

sponsored links

5,979 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D vs. canon 50D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.