Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Jan 2013 (Monday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Mini review of the Lenovo w530 after a few weeks...

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 28, 2013 15:25 |  #1

I have had my new laptop about 2 1/2 weeks; and I have used it extensively while traveling for photo editing lots of Lightroom and Photoshop with a wacom intuos 5 tablet.

The weight, size and battery life is excellent for travel. The speed and responsiveness of the machine is excellent.

My Configuration:
Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
Windows 8 Pro 64
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready with color calibration sensor
NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
16 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
180GB Solid State Drive, SATA3
I put a 1TB WD hard drive in the ultra bay slot but I also ordered the DVD Recordable 8x Max, Dual Layer for the Ultrabay so I can swap it into the bay as needed.
I also purchased a ThinkPad USB 3.0 1TB Portable Secure Hard Drive for extra storage and to easily swap Lightroom catalogs with my desktop upon returning home.

The screen and color calibration software was surprising very good. The color accuracy of the extended gamut display is excellent. The horizontal viewing angles are very good and vertical viewing angles good in the normal laptop display positions. If you vary from the normal vertical viewing angles you do see a change in color but in real life normal viewing angles the screen is much better than any laptop display I have used and the 95% Adobe RGB gamut really makes a difference in the accuracy of my photo editing while away from my desktop. It saves me lots of time in that my edits are very accurate and only need minor tweaks if anything upon viewing my photos when returning home and loading everything on my desktop.

Some of the Lenovo propitiatory software such as the Lenovo Power manager driver still needs to be fixed by Lenovo to properly work with Windows 8.

All the Adobe programs from the master collection plus Lightroom and a couple of 3D programs run beautifully and are a pleasure to use on this laptop.

The overall look and build of the laptop is excellent and it is built to take some abuse. I also really like the fingerprint reader it makes logging into Windows very easy, secure and fast.

So far I am very pleased with my purchase.
If anyone has any specific questions I will do my best to answer them.

sponsored links
butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 05, 2013 17:39 |  #2

Just an update. I had time to run my Spyder 4 Elite on the diplay. Calibration was 100% sRGB and 98% Adobe RGB. The screen calibrates very well. Definitely the best laptop display I have ever used. The built in color calibrator is good for quick calibration and nice to have when away from home as I am not going to pack my Spyder 4. The Spyder 4 calibration is better but the difference is small the Spyder 4 gives me more fine tuning capabilities.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2013 21:16 |  #3

That laptop is no joke :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2013 18:08 |  #4

BrickR wrote in post #15581317 (external link)
That laptop is no joke :)

It is awesome and for the weight ( just under 6 pounds) and battery life it is a pleasure to use even with multiple large files and several programs running at once it is fast and feels like a desktop. I really like the keyboard, definitely the best keyboard I have ever had on a laptop. No problems with windows 8 either the touch pad makes navigating windows 8 simple. Plug in the Wacom Intuos 5 tablet and it supports all the windows 8 gestures. This laptop is a breeze to upgrade and should last a very long time. The build quality is superb too, very rugged build. I love the security features that Lenovo builds into these laptops as well. I would highly recommend it, at least you feel like you get allot of power for the money and because you can easily upgrade it you will stretch your investment over many years.

Here is a link to another review from a graphic professionals perspective:http://gfxspeak.com …ation-so-not-an-oxymoron/ (external link)

Randi
Goldmember
1,106 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2013 09:25 as a reply to  @ butterfly2937's post |  #5

I am considering purchasing this laptop with my tax refund. I will be using it mostly for photo editing, watching movies and television shows via Netflix and Amazon Prime, web browsing, and perhaps some mild game play. Would you recommend I customize it using the same settings you used?

Canon 7D | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Bower 85mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L | 580 EX II | Manfrotto 190XB/496RC2
flickr  (external link)

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2013 09:36 |  #6

Randi wrote in post #15746344 (external link)
I am considering purchasing this laptop with my tax refund. I will be using it mostly for photo editing, watching movies and television shows via Netflix and Amazon Prime, web browsing, and perhaps some mild game play. Would you recommend I customize it using the same settings you used?

I can tell you after a few months of use I could not be happier with this laptop in fact it is the best laptop I have owned to date. You get allot of machine for your money and this laptop is a powerhouse and the screen is beautiful with excellent color. It calibrates really well with both the built in calibrator and my Spyder 4. The screen is great for video and watching movies too but you will love it for your photo work. It is so simple to upgrade too. Go with the best processor you can afford. I highly recommend this laptop you will love it. You can not beat the power and productivity in a 6 pound package.

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2013 09:47 as a reply to  @ butterfly2937's post |  #7

The optimus technology which switches between the 2 video cards really works well for extending battery life too. I also really like having the extended life battery which I can pop in if I need longer battery life. It is larger but it I really like the way it angles the laptop in a very comfortable working position when you are going to be working for hours at a time.

Randi
Goldmember
1,106 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2013 09:49 as a reply to  @ butterfly2937's post |  #8

Awesome... I really appreciate your fast reply! I cannot wait until my refund is deposited. Thanks so much!

Canon 7D | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Bower 85mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L | 580 EX II | Manfrotto 190XB/496RC2
flickr  (external link)

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2013 09:56 as a reply to  @ Randi's post |  #9

One more thing the wacom Intuos 5 with the wireless package is a wonderful addition and it supports all the Windows 8 gestures. Lenovo has also done a good job with their touch and swipe capabilities of their track pad it works well with Windows 8 too. I find the navigation to be no problem at all.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2013 10:02 |  #10

What was the cost of this laptop?

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2013 16:41 |  #11

rick_reno wrote in post #15746446 (external link)
What was the cost of this laptop?

I went through this in another thread but here you go. I purchased mine on 12-31-2012. Make sure you configure on line and then call and talk to a salesman. You will get an even better price.

It depends on how you configure it but compared to the competition (Dell mobile workstation, HP 8570w, or a MBP retina) I got the most machine for my money with a display with a 95% Adobe RGB color gamut ( actually it calibrates to 98% Adobe RGB) plus a power house of a machine up-gradable to 32 GIG RAM, the best in class battery life too. Call and talk to a salesman and you will get a better price. Just the laptop was $2147.14 ( I got 16 GIG RAM on 2 dimms see above info) I then added 3YR Onsite Next Business Day + Accidental Damage Protection + Priority Technical Support for $339. The ThinkPad Battery 28++ (9 Cell Slice - T410/20/30, T510/20/30, W510/20/30) for$159.99 and a Lenovo Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable $14.99 and a ThinkPad USB 3.0 1TB Portable Secure Hard Drive $186.99
I got free shipping and with all the discounts + tax my grand total was $3028.96
Keep in mind there are a million different ways to configure these machines. This laptop will last me for many years and run all the software I need in a 6 lb. package.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 23, 2013 18:41 |  #12

Nice review. I have the w520 and love it.

Rick, depending on config you should be able to get it for under 2k. Sign up for their coupons and like butterfly said give them a call and ask for a better price.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Golden ­ Hunter
806 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 23, 2013 20:16 as a reply to  @ palmor's post |  #13

Just a note on the Lenovo prices... I have the w530 as well, only with the 3610 processor and was shocked at the prices Lenovo wanted to upgrade the HDD and RAM. I purchased mine with the least ram and smallest HDD I could get and upgraded the ram to 32GB and installed a Samsung 256GB SSD. I also deleted the dvd drive, as I wanted the open bay for a second 1TB conventional storage drive. I saved $750 on the RAM and HDD upgrades and the savings on the DVD drive paid for an external dVD drive and the 1TB drive that went in it's place. I realize that not everyone feels comfortable doing this, but if you are capable of your own upgrades, there are huge savings to be had. One note, if you chose to upgrade yourself... be sure that you inquire as to whether you need to upgrade to WIN8 PRO to recognize more than 16GB of ram ( with Win7, "home premium" only recognizes 16GB and I am confident that win8 likely has this limitation as well )

Oh... BTW, I have no complaints with my W530. I also got the HD display and it is stunning. Very nice machine.

Brent
5D Mark2 // 16-35 f4L // 70-200 f4L // 17-40 f4L // Sigma 50 f1.4//
580EX2

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 29, 2013 15:03 |  #14

Is there an option to get a BluRay that Reads/Writes?

sponsored links

4,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Mini review of the Lenovo w530 after a few weeks...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.