Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 29 Mar 2013 (Friday) 18:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Baseball Individuals

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2013 18:41 |  #1

I teach high school and the normal group that does team/individual photo can't do the spring sports. So, I've been asked to do them.

Any tips on baseball individuals? I don't really want to do the kneeling, holding a bat shot. I thought about having them at bat...make it kinda look like a baseball card. Any tried and true crowd pleasers anyone would be willing to share?

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2013 19:43 |  #2

I had a year when it was raining hard on picture day. Which the coach said could not be changed and he suggested that I just take them in the gym! I explained that the gym was not their "home", they belong outdoors. I decided to shoot the kids in the locker room, standing in front of an open locker, with one arm up and hand on top of the door. The parents loved it. It was different than what they had in the past.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

tstowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2013 20:02 |  #3

Great idea.

I'm also the yearbook advisor...that's how I got into photography in the first place. The normal guy that does the team photos is from out of town. If it rains...do it in the gym. I HATE that! The golf team in the gym. The cross country team...in the gym. Always drove me nuts.

Only down side is the baseball team doesn't get locker space. One positive though, if it rains I can always switch the day.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2013 20:09 |  #4

tstowe wrote in post #15770654 (external link)
Great idea.

I'm also the yearbook advisor...that's how I got into photography in the first place. The normal guy that does the team photos is from out of town. If it rains...do it in the gym. I HATE that! The golf team in the gym. The cross country team...in the gym. Always drove me nuts.

Only down side is the baseball team doesn't get locker space. One positive though, if it rains I can always switch the day.

Where I shoot, They tell me the day and there's no flexibility. The coach's just want to get it over with and the parents never complained about the gym shots in the past. The coach was surprised that I cared.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 29, 2013 23:36 |  #5

http://mikejanesphotog​raphy.photoshelter.com​/portfolio (external link)

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

tstowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2013 23:48 |  #6

Thanks Mike. I know you shoot the big leagues but what do you think about the shots where they make it look like a cover of a sports magazine?

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 30, 2013 19:58 |  #7

I shoot from 5 year olds up to MLB...the kids love the "big league" poses and the magazines have increased a lot since introducing them - they usually want an action shot or the pose, but anything like mentioned before (set up shot) is good - they like 'em....should add pretty much most leagues expect the basic boring poses, so any differences is good - I actually print a sheet with 4-5 on there and they can choose or come up with their own.

tstowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 31, 2013 07:50 |  #8

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #15773715 (external link)
I shoot from 5 year olds up to MLB...the kids love the "big league" poses and the magazines have increased a lot since introducing them - they usually want an action shot or the pose, but anything like mentioned before (set up shot) is good - they like 'em....should add pretty much most leagues expect the basic boring poses, so any differences is good - I actually print a sheet with 4-5 on there and they can choose or come up with their own.

What do you think about something like this? http://www.toddstowe.c​om …q#!i=2432958320​&k=jsWJD75 (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 31, 2013 20:28 |  #9

I've never been a huge fan of the SI knockoffs, IDK why and just personal preference I guess, but always wanted to create my own even though not very good with it - actually for posters going to be buying a few templates from a friend who is amazing at that stuff.

This is one I do, very basic and customize it for each sport (FIRST DOWN for football, CORNER KICK for soccer, LEAD OFF for baseball - or something like that). It's from 2010 as only one I have on the computer, not sure what changes made last couple years but sure there's been a couple here and there. Used to have the side headlines customized for each kid and what not but took them off for just the one big one, saves some screwing around.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 02, 2013 13:33 |  #10

Mike R wrote in post #15770670 (external link)
Where I shoot, They tell me the day and there's no flexibility. The coach's just want to get it over with and the parents never complained about the gym shots in the past. The coach was surprised that I cared.

Just because the parents aren't complaining to you doesn't mean they liked them.
It's a difficult situation at times because the coach is the person that you need to please but the parent writes the check.
Last year a photog did soccer T&I in the gym, Facebook lit up with complaints between parents. I bet they get the job again because no one had the backbone to complain to the coach.
We're dealing with a situation this year where a board member doesn't feel the need for the individual portraits. Just wants group shots for sponsors etc. Our portraits are what sets us apart because we do a real portrait not a snap shot. The parents appreciate that.

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

sponsored links

2,317 views & 0 likes for this thread
Baseball Individuals
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.