Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cd season compilation

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 28, 2013 23:09 |  #1

ive been shooting for the local NAHL (tier II juniors) team in town this year and while ive improved in my PP and gotten some pretty good shots (not NEARLY the keeper rate that some of these super pics on the board are) but good shots none the less...

there is a 'sponsor/billet parent/family/meet and greet night' this saturday night...

i was approached by a couple of people who wanted to know if i considered selling a Season CD...

now to be honest i hadnt considered it but if its something someone might be interested in, then sure. im game...

THIS is my plan:
my wife doesnt mind 'minding the store' so to speak with some 'order forms' i can make up in about 10 minutes, a laptop with a slide show of the images running and her taking orders...

THESE are my questions:
i have pics (edited from a LOT of pics) from nearly every home game this year. while theyre not ALL Sports Illustrated/ESPN or otherwise publishible they cover the entire team. i dont expect them all to fit on a CD and i am wondering what a 2 or 3 disc set should sell for. $25 ? add about $4 for packaging and shipping (mailers are about $0.75 and postage is over a buck-fifty (or so ive read on some sites)...

i would be burning these on my computer at home after taking orders with pre-payment...

my BIGGEST concern is that i need all of this figured out by saturday night at 6pm....

sponsored links
Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 28, 2013 23:16 |  #2

Man, that seems like an awfully low number.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 28, 2013 23:58 |  #3

Chris wrote in post #15767698 (external link)
Man, that seems like an awfully low number.

what the $25 for the disc?

i looked again and did some 'cipherin' and i believe i can probably get them all on one CD. theres about (or WILL be) 800 photos...

these arent like the 4-6 super duper killer photographs that are posted here by the GOOD photographers, its of the players during warmups with a puck or three in front of them, players on the bench, some crowd shots, the mascot with fans etc...

skippix
124 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 29, 2013 05:07 |  #4

first, DON'T undervalue your work. it doesn't matter if you don't think every shot is an SI cover...for most people, seeing someone in jersey, playing or not, means the world.

second, take a look at what your peers are doing. if there's no one else shooting and selling, look around at similar leagues elsewhere. find their websites, shoot some emails, make some calls. one thing you don't want to do is way undercut the market. even if you "own" your market (ie, no competition), you still don't want to establish yourself as the give-away guy.

next, look at this from a business standpoint. to be fair to you (and your wife), think of ALL the time (attending, shooting, selecting, processing, archiving, etc) that you have put into this so far. just for grins, let's say you've got a total of 50 hours in it. let's say (conservatively) that your cost of business is "only" $30/hr. to break even, you need to make $1500. now it gets tricky. how many players are involved? you'll need to play with some numbers to get an idea of what type of product mix and pricing could get you the sales necessary to hit your break even number.

consider some things you can do to maximize this opportunity to sell. if you have already gone through all the images and have 800 of them ready-to-print, you are way ahead of the game. you could offer single 8x12 prints for $20, or the high-res file for $25, or the low-res file for $5. you could offer a single game disk or a single player complete season disk (with a guaranteed number of images) either low-res for $25 or high-res for $75. you could offer the whole season low-res for $100 or high-res for $250. (the key is the number of games you shot.) lastly, you could offer some high-end edits to make commemorative poster-sized prints. there are plenty of inexpensive templates (some labs offer them for free) for making mock magazine covers and such.

again, while you as a photographer might not think an image is that great, someone else as a parent might think you have captured the iconic shot of their kid and might be willing to spend a couple hundred. you never know. i captured a killer shot of a kid smashing a grand-slam homerun in his last at-bat in college baseball and his mother told me i was ripping her off to ask for $20 for an 8x10. i've had other parents spend $1-2k, buying any and every shot i took that they could identify their kid's jersey number. all i could do was guarantee that if they weren't thrilled once they got their purchase, i'd take it back, no questions asked.

i know time is short, but don't rush yourself to just give away the store. take some time to figure out some options that will let you create a win-win for everyone (including your wife!). one other thing to consider is to get an online sales account (like at http://www.exposureman​ager.com (external link) ). set your prices slightly higher and offer your on-site sales as a discount off your normal prices. just have some flyers (even half-pagers) with your contact info that people can take home. that way, you can get some sales immediately as well as residual sales down the road. (along these lines, have a pad and collect email addresses from as many people as you can, if you don't already have them.)

hope this helps, good luck!

Skip
feel free to visit my website (external link) | some resources (external link) | collections (external link) | epic panoramics (external link)
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably wind up somewhere else" - David Campbell, PhD

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2013 20:01 |  #5

Sell it as a slideshow without high res prints. Use a program such as Proshow Gold or ProShow Producer. These programs will allow you to copy protect the show so it cannot be copied.If they want prints from images in the show, direct the to your web site to purchase them. I've been doing the season slideshows this way for several years. I charge $265 to present the show at the teams annual banquet. My typical show is 15-20 min and I run it in an endless loop during the banquet. I charge $20 per copy, in a case with a nice jacket.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 29, 2013 20:41 |  #6

Mike R wrote in post #15770650 (external link)
Sell it as a slideshow without high res prints. Use a program such as Proshow Gold or ProShow Producer. These programs will allow you to copy protect the show so it cannot be copied.If they want prints from images in the show, direct the to your web site to purchase them. I've been doing the season slideshows this way for several years. I charge $265 to present the show at the teams annual banquet. My typical show is 15-20 min and I run it in an endless loop during the banquet. I charge $20 per copy, in a case with a nice jacket.

THANKS!

sounds like a good way to go...

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2013 20:42 |  #7

Ltdave wrote in post #15770767 (external link)
THANKS!

sounds like a good way to go...

Let us know how it works out.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 30, 2013 23:12 |  #8

Mike R wrote in post #15770773 (external link)
Let us know how it works out.

the inital plan put forth by the team was "player, parents and sponsor appreciation night"...

i told them i probably would NOT have a 'booth' for the fans to 'get to know' what the sponsors offer or have available. i dont shoot much other than the hockey right now (an my daughter's dance and band). id really like NOT getting into the 'standard' wedding/senior portrait gig. too many people in this little town doing it...

well, kind of last minute (2 days ago) i was asked by a fan if i considered selling a compilation cd/dvd. see the the first posts for more info...

well i had a dozen different shots of stuff i WANT TO shoot (as examples) plus some game day shots. i had my laptop scrolling a slide show of about 300 different pictures. i have about 500-600 i could put on the cd/dvd (not sure which at this point)...

my wife wonderfully sat and took orders during the course of the game. she spoke to a good number of fans (about 600-625 in attendance tonight) and took orders for SIX whole discs...

now it WAS short notice and there wasnt much 'advertising' by the announcer or other flyers but this is only about 6-8% of the people she talked to and MAYBE 1% of the total attendance. kind of sad...

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 01, 2013 23:20 |  #9

Ltdave wrote in post #15767682 (external link)
i was approached by a couple of people who wanted to know if i considered selling a Season CD...

now to be honest i hadnt considered it but if its something someone might be interested in, then sure. im game...

While I appreciate the valid advice of not undervaluing your work, if you don't sell them this season, you'll never sell those pictures.

Gotta sell pumpkins before Halloween and xmas trees before xmas.

If I wasn't selling prints, I'd do it for sure. But once you sell the CDs, they'll get copied around and other people are getting pictures of themselves.

So optimize for profit based on market dynamics.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

858 views & 0 likes for this thread
cd season compilation
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.