Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Mar 2013 (Monday) 22:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My very first light purchase, need advice

sjwolfhope
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 30, 2013 13:35 |  #16

jimmyt wrote in post #15772630 (external link)
I will order too.
http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​27cb97b9da (external link)
can you look at this RF-603 trigger, this set 30$, another set cost $90 what difference?

You want the C1 version for the 60D, rather than the C3. The C3 has the wrong cable for your camera. The $90 price is what I said about being quirky - it is not what they are selling for. Look at the prices they sold for under the xxx sold and you will see prices like $30.45 and $29.55. Make him an "Best Offer" of $29.55 or so and see what they answer back. Tell them you want free shipping also - they offer that on the C3 version. Tell them you are also buying the YN-468 II. They reply pretty quickly, usually within a day. If they won't work with you on the C1 version, there are other options. I bought my second set of two off Amazon for about the same price.

The cable provided with the RF-603s is only used if you want remote shutter control. For remote flash, put one RF-603 into the hotshoe and the other with your flash at the desired location. Put flash in Manual mode and shoot away. You will not get E-TTL with the YN-468 II using off-camera flash. Only the more expensive flashes have that capability. For off-camera flash you will probably be better off with manual control anyways. I already have a Yongnuo YN-460 II which is totally manual and works well. Going for the YN-468 II for times when I could use E-TTL on camera. But also want to be able to use two off-camera flashes. Considered the more expensive YN-565 and YN-568, but don't want an on-camera flash that is any bigger than the YN-460.

Steve W.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 30, 2013 18:04 |  #17

sjwolfhope wrote in post #15772011 (external link)
I would definitely go with the YN-468 II - it is the updated version of this flash. Has a better battery door and some other improvements. Supports Canon E-TTL. I think that any YN-468 still for sale would have been built a while ago. Some of the early YN-468 flashes had a problem with a capacitor in the head. There is a DIY method of repairing it, but why take a chance of getting one with a suspect part. I am planning on buying a YN-468 II next week. Here is the link I am buying it from: http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link) Don't bother with a "Best Offer" as they only give only a few cents off.
It is sent from the US (North Brunswick, NJ). I emailed them about any included warranty. They replied that they provide a one year warranty and the unit is sent to the USA site.
Also get the RF-603 triggers rather than the RF-602s. This same company sells them but their pricing seems quirky. A price for a set of two should be around $30 or so. For your Canon 60D you want the C1 version. That has the right shutter release cable for your camera. There is a C3 version but that is for other Canon cameras with a different shutter release socket on the camera. The RF-603 units are identical for both versions - only a different cable. Hope this helps.

Steve W.

Are you getting the "TTL" or "ETTL"? I just noticed there's seperate listings for both and I'm not sure which one to get. And just wondering, is there a reason why you're not purchasing from the supposed "official" yongnui (it costs $89 there), I'm just wondering.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sjwolfhope
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 30, 2013 19:07 |  #18

Naraly wrote in post #15773394 (external link)
Are you getting the "TTL" or "ETTL"? I just noticed there's seperate listings for both and I'm not sure which one to get. And just wondering, is there a reason why you're not purchasing from the supposed "official" yongnui (it costs $89 there), I'm just wondering.

Not sure what you are getting at with TTL or E-TTL. There is only one version of the YN-468 II and the description says it supports E-TTL. I picked that particular E-Bay site since it is in the US (NJ). The "official" Yongnuo site is in China which means longer delivery times and maybe duty charges. There are apparently 3 or 4 sellers that utilize a warehouse in NJ - think the sellers are based in China. I bought my first set of RF-603s from another one of those sellers and got good service and fast delivery. Also they said they provide a 1 year warranty from the US. Buying from the Yongnuo site requires you sending it back to China (Hong Kong) for warranty service. And the US site is cheaper right now - wasn't about a week ago.

I realized reading your last post that my previous answer was to another person. But think my comments apply equally to your concerns. Are far as your other items - I bought an 8 ft light stand, flash bracket and umbrellas for about $60. Not the best but more than adequate for my needs. As far as the triggers (RF-603s), you could probably use your built in camera flash to trigger a remote flash. Did that at first but decided I wanted an RF wireless system. Your 60D has different triggering capabilities than my T1i, but not sure what.

Steve W.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 30, 2013 20:22 |  #19

sjwolfhope wrote in post #15773553 (external link)
Not sure what you are getting at with TTL or E-TTL. There is only one version of the YN-468 II and the description says it supports E-TTL. I picked that particular E-Bay site since it is in the US (NJ). The "official" Yongnuo site is in China which means longer delivery times and maybe duty charges. There are apparently 3 or 4 sellers that utilize a warehouse in NJ - think the sellers are based in China. I bought my first set of RF-603s from another one of those sellers and got good service and fast delivery. Also they said they provide a 1 year warranty from the US. Buying from the Yongnuo site requires you sending it back to China (Hong Kong) for warranty service. And the US site is cheaper right now - wasn't about a week ago.

I realized reading your last post that my previous answer was to another person. But think my comments apply equally to your concerns. Are far as your other items - I bought an 8 ft light stand, flash bracket and umbrellas for about $60. Not the best but more than adequate for my needs. As far as the triggers (RF-603s), you could probably use your built in camera flash to trigger a remote flash. Did that at first but decided I wanted an RF wireless system. Your 60D has different triggering capabilities than my T1i, but not sure what.

Steve W.

Oh ok I get it now. I was just confused because I was seeing different listing, some saying "TTL" in the title, and others with "E-TTL", so I thought there was two options for the yn-468 II. Thanks for the link to that listing, I'm going to go ahead and purchase from that one since the shipping time is faster.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
My very first light purchase, need advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.