Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

QUESTION ABOUT HOW YOU PRICE FOR SPORTS SHOOTS

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 19, 2013 10:06 |  #16

I’ll respond my take on it as I don’t do this as 100% of my income. But Do I really work in this business? Yes. Do I work it full time? No. Have I shot high school sports and been paid a game fee of $250+? Yes. Have I shot for less? Of course. I’ve one daily I’ll shoot with a game fee of $75, but I also don’t have to be there the whole game, and typically will cover another game for them that same day. Couple that with sales, the game fees will easily be half of what I make. Have I turned down game fees of $75 for a high school game? Yep…just last month. The publisher required exclusivity for all images for 90 days. Not worth it to me. And just to point out last month I did make on average over $200 per game just for High School. And I’ll add that I do know of several other stringers that command higher rates than this. Not too uncommon.

And it would be my opinion that comparing wire services to the OP is apples to oranges. I don’t shoot for wire services, but last I heard they receive commissions on sales (35-50% although that is dropping as well), and its guaranteed assignments week in and week out. But of course that’s for the full timers. That’s not me and that’s not the OP. They are making more money than I am shooting sports on a yearly figure at the ‘lower’ game rate. Guaranteed income will always dictate lower per unit fee. But again I don’t shoot for wire services so the above info is just what I understand it to be reading blogs.

And as I said, the bottom line is you typically don’t pick the fee…you just get to pick if you accept the terms they’re offering. If the OP (or the other poster in here) thinks it is worth their time to shoot two hours, then edit two hours for $75 or $95 per game then great. If that was my only option for that time period then I’d probably do it too. But until then I’d pass.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

sponsored links
bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 20, 2013 00:00 |  #17

primoz wrote in post #15731451 (external link)
When reading these things, I have always been wondering about two things... One, do you guys really work in this business or are you just trying to be smart with prices for which you work. Or second, do you just happen to be so luck to live in such place of the world, where real life didn't come to it yet?
$250/game as starting point? Shooting some semi-pro local match? Really? Reuters, Getty, AFP and AP are paying their stringers with 100-200eur ($130-260) for shooting top sport events (World cup races/matches, World championships, NBA, NFL, NHL, etc.). That's daily rate per event, and you don't keep copyright of a single image shoot there. And considering you have to be above average shooter to be even working for these agencies, I really really doubt, there's many people shooting high school sport for such money.
I mean I agree, I wish I would be paid 10.000eur/day too, but reality is unfortunately much different. So please let me know, how many of you really shoot local football match for $250+. And I mean only those of you who actually get paid for this and with this amount, not those who wish to be paid this ;)

100% of my income comes from photography and it allows me to put food and the table and money in the bank; which I an very thankful for.

That being said, the numbers I said earlier are definitely the real numbers that I work with. I have been fortunate enough to establish a niche with some great clients (and their referrals to others) to allow commanding those rates. I live very much in "real life" and have worked very hard to establish myself. Now, will I take the occasional AP job, sure, but that is not how I model my business.

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

sch_photo
172 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 20, 2013 06:32 |  #18

I only shoot for my income. The thing is that I am very diversified in what I shoot. I work for 3 high schools, a university, 4 youth football leagues, three little leagues, and string for a few papers as well as a wedding here and there and some senior portraits.

So for me to take a semi-pro game at $75 per game for 5 games in the summer with the goal of developing a relationship isn't a big issue and is not devaluing the product. As I said the team I shot for switched to someone that was free, so explain to me who is really devaluing the product? Me @ $75/game, the team, or the girl who is working for nothing? I don't see the problem with giving something a try as long as you are committed to dropping it if you feel the deal is only a one way street. I shot a social event last spring on an online sales option with the understanding that if I didn't get enough sales I would charge a day rate. If they call again for this year I will charge my day rate, and if they say they won't pay it, or want to pay less then I won't provide coverage for it.

I do have a game rate that pays me $250 per game and I charge that 18 times between August and May.

Equipment list: Canon 1Dx, Canon 1D mk III, 50D, 400mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L, 17-40 4.0L, 24-105 4.0L IS, Sigma 15mm 2.8 FE, (2) 580EX II

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 20, 2013 13:30 |  #19

And for the guy comparing shooting marketing shots for the school and shooting editorial shots for a wire service- these are two very, very different things.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

BigOne
42 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2013 16:54 |  #20

Hi!

I need help with price for pictures of soccer games.

http://gkrajncic.blogs​pot.com …ribor-nk-olimpija-01.html (external link)
Those are samples of my pictures..

I must always send 20 edited pictures,
this is 17 pictures of game, and 3 pictures of fans..
Like this:
http://www.nogometni-forum.si …ndex.php/prvali​ga/item/77 (external link)

Usually i'm on the soccer game, about 90 minutes + time for driving 40 minutes (on both sides)... (23 kilometers and 20 minutes in one side) and time for editing about 15 minutes.

How much is normal price for this?

(i dont know if is this important but i use Canon 1d mk3, 16-35 II, 70-200 2.8 is and 300 2.8 is)

thanks for reply!
and sorry for my bad english..

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 21, 2013 02:16 |  #21

BigOne wrote in post #15737094 (external link)
I need help with price for pictures of soccer games.

You know what is nowadays standard rate for this sort of things around here when working for local clients ;) 50eur/match would be really good already, but realistically, 20-30eur, if anything at all is pretty much normal thing.
But you guys set those prices yourself, so you will have to live with it now. I said many times to quite few of you in past... you can easily go low, but once you have that price it's basically impossible to set it higher. Now shooting football match for 20eur (or sometimes for "experience" only) is reality for many of you. Too late to cry now, sorry to say that.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

BigOne
42 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2013 17:56 |  #22

Yeah..
Oprema je dejansko že dostopna vsakemu, zato pa tud cene hitro padajo..
In tud vedno več nas je takih, meni podobnih ki tud pripomoremu k padcu cen.
Ampak kak se boš pa drugače naučil? Tud vi proji ste mogli nekak začet.. ampak takrat je blo drugače kot danes..

I wish to be born 10 years earlier..

thanks Primož.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 30, 2013 18:44 |  #23

I'm a bit late to this thread but if you can shoot and edit video you will make more in my market that photos. Marketing of HS athletes is done with video, not stills.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 31, 2013 16:46 |  #24

primoz wrote in post #15731720 (external link)
I doubt it's much different in USA, but in Europe, when you string for Reuters, AFP, AP or Getty, you get daily/event rate and that's it. No percentages of sales or anything, which is actually pretty normal thing when you are stringer. You get paid for covering event, and you don't get paid for (possible) sale. And as I wrote, you lose copyright, not for transmitted images, but for all images you shoot on that assignment.
As I wrote, it can be different in USA, but considering these agencies have more or less same conditions (with minor price difference) all over the world, I would doubt there's much difference in USA either.

Getty has 2 contracts, a buy out and a hybrid. The buy out rate is more that you wrote above (as it should be since they are keeping copyright), the hybrid is less but you earn commission.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

liam5100
944 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 02, 2013 22:06 |  #25

primoz wrote in post #15731451 (external link)
When reading these things, I have always been wondering about two things... One, do you guys really work in this business or are you just trying to be smart with prices for which you work. Or second, do you just happen to be so luck to live in such place of the world, where real life didn't come to it yet?
$250/game as starting point? Shooting some semi-pro local match? Really? Reuters, Getty, AFP and AP are paying their stringers with 100-200eur ($130-260) for shooting top sport events (World cup races/matches, World championships, NBA, NFL, NHL, etc.). That's daily rate per event, and you don't keep copyright of a single image shoot there. And considering you have to be above average shooter to be even working for these agencies, I really really doubt, there's many people shooting high school sport for such money.
I mean I agree, I wish I would be paid 10.000eur/day too, but reality is unfortunately much different. So please let me know, how many of you really shoot local football match for $250+. And I mean only those of you who actually get paid for this and with this amount, not those who wish to be paid this ;)

I 80% agree with you on this, however there are exceptions to that very true rule. I often shoot for a regional high school sports magazine and often times per event is a higher payout than some of the aforementioned agencies, especially when the high school fields are miles away and not states.

Rule applies, but there are exceptions.

I do have to say, I love this line though.... "time donation shoots"

Bill -
Equipment : Quaker Oatmeal box with a little tiny hole in it... and a 400 2.8

sponsored links

4,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
QUESTION ABOUT HOW YOU PRICE FOR SPORTS SHOOTS
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.