Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 30 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clients that don't want their photo's shared on blog/facebook

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 31, 2013 13:45 |  #16

You're running a business to make money, it's not a vanity project.

If we assume the couple have a good (enough for them) reason for this request, your options are:
Shoot the job, get paid, have no additions to your portfolio.
Dont shoot the job, dont get paid, have no additions to your portfolio.

Only one of those makes a healthy profit, why are you thinking about it for more than a second?

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 31, 2013 17:46 |  #17

Meeting with them today to discuss in person. I think the compromise will be that they will pick the photos I can use.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 31, 2013 18:14 as a reply to  @ pstyle1's post |  #18

Believe it or not,,, some people dont use Facebook. And, some people want privacy. As a photographer,, you should respect their wishes..there will be other clients to build your portfolio with

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 31, 2013 18:25 |  #19

I'd ask what specifically their concerns are. Some people dont want photos used for marketing --at all--, others dont want their faces shown, others dont mind if you use their photos in prints/albums just not on the internet, others just want to remain anonymous and not be tagged with their full names.

One couple I had did not want to sign the model release. I asked about their concerns, and they actually didnt mind their photos being online, they just didnt want their names attached to the photos.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 31, 2013 18:29 |  #20

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the term, but I have done quite a few portrait sessions and weddings. This issue comes up quite frequently and I always ask if I can use (a few of) their shots before the shoot / wedding for my own portfolio. If they hesitate or prefer not to, it's a simple no, and I won't post the shots on public sites.
I do use a private portfolio that I can give people temporary access to, but I use that more to get people to think about what kind of shots / setting they want. For a paper or private portfolio, I'm not as strict in asking permission since it's similar to inviting people to my house to look at my work.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 31, 2013 18:39 |  #21

What abbypanda said.....

abbypanda wrote in post #15774011 (external link)
Why don't you compromise and ask her if you could use 1 or 2 that the 2 of you choose together in your portfolio. Show her the better ones and let her pic from them with you. Allowing her some say might really help. You could also offer a little freebee for it (8x10, free summer session in the coming months after the wedding, im sure you can think of something). I wouldnt get in the habit of it but if you are trying to build a portfolio might wanna think of something to make this work.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 31, 2013 20:43 |  #22

Just met with the clients. The groom is an advertising director and was mostly concerned about me selling their photos as stock photos or to ad agencies etc.. They were cool with me using them in my portfolio, so 'sall good! Just needed a bit of communication!

They're a very good looking couple, so the shots will be very usable!

-P

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 01, 2013 06:44 |  #23

Everyone signs a contract that gives me a right to do it. That said, why would I not want to be sensitive to the needs of my client. One was a police officer and didn't want photos of his private event made public. I get that. Another couple were simply very private by nature. I get that, too.

While I'm proud of my work, I enjoy showing it off, I also like appearing busy with new work being posted often . . . these things aren't that vital to me and I have enough other work I can post. Making my clients happy is job #1 and if keeping the images of their wedding private is important to them, it's important to me, too.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

RobTs
71 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 02, 2013 11:56 |  #24

We have a clause built into our contract but make sure to verbally ask permission with every single client so they feel comfortable. We have never had a single client feel uncomfortable this way. If they don't want their photos shared, there is nothing wrong with that.

Facebook (external link)

Apex174
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2013 14:51 |  #25

I once had a client who was in law enforcement, I mean not your regular policeman and asked that his pictures not be posted online. I didn't post them online but we agreed that I use their image in a physical sample album that I use to show prospective clients.

5D-II + III, 400D w/ BG-E3 & 40D w/ BG-E2
50 1.8, 17-85 IS USM, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS
430EX, 580EXII

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 14, 2013 01:49 |  #26

Apex174 wrote in post #15820777 (external link)
I once had a client who was in law enforcement, I mean not your regular policeman and asked that his pictures not be posted online. I didn't post them online but we agreed that I use their image in a physical sample album that I use to show prospective clients.

Yep I've photographed ASIO (like FBI) and Federal Police that couldnt be named and you just accept that you wont use any shots from that wedding for your general marketing. No dramas.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 22, 2013 21:18 |  #27

if my client asked me not to show the photo's on FB , why question them? its their wedding. maybe you can ask them if you can use it in a printed album for display in office?

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 23, 2013 01:38 |  #28

I'm getting married. I've asked my photographer not to use photos of my partner and I without running them past us first. Why? Privacy, mostly. I'm a reasonably private person.

So when customers ask me not to share their images, I don't.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

4,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Clients that don't want their photo's shared on blog/facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.