Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear vs Skill

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,277 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2013 18:35 |  #16

shinyknights wrote in post #15780357 (external link)
Then gear does matter! :D

Gear matters only in getting the right equipment to match the photographers vision. To many are on the gear-go-round. A great quote by Weston.
"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it." - Edward Weston

But learning to truly see is the most important part of it all.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2013 18:39 |  #17

shinyknights wrote in post #15780270 (external link)
Why do people say that it isn't the gear that makes the photos look stunning?

It's gear that gives you bokeh.
It is the photographer who knows when shallow DOF is desirable as well as the amount and type.

It's gear that gives you bounce from your flash lite.
It is the photographer who knows where to bounce the flash from to get the best results as well as balancing the flash with ambient appropriately and getting a pleasing overall composition rather than just a well exposed snapshot.

It's gear that gives you soft boxes for soft shadows.
It is the photographer who knows how to use them to control the light to get pleasing shadows, not just soft shadows.

It's gear that allows you to go ISO 3200.
Shooting a photograph at 3200 ISO does not make it a good photograph.

It's gear that allows you to remove oblique reflections using polarizing filters.
It is the photographer who knows when reflections are best left in or removed.

Gears are important in photography!!
Yes. But the photographer is more important.

One just needs to learn how to hold the camera steady and properly expose the shots.
Angles and compositions are really just creativity added to the mix. Angles and composition and control/use of light are photography. The gear is just the means to an end.

Answered. Also, I hope you aren't a troll. :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 01, 2013 18:42 |  #18

shinyknights wrote in post #15780335 (external link)
I'm just saying that any one who knows how to work a camera (use manual settings) should be able to take as great photos as a great photographer, right? Taking post-processing out of the mix because that is what REALLY makes photography look so great and stunning.

Sirrith wrote in post #15780402 (external link)
Also, I hope you aren't a troll. :)

With this sort of stuff, I'm kinda thinking they are.

Neil

mzondeki
880 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 01, 2013 18:47 |  #19

DutchinCLE wrote in post #15780342 (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157629390099680/ (external link)

Was taken with a 400D and EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 by a GREAT photographer. 1600+ favorites on flickr and all kinds of awards.

He also used "ND110 - 10 stops. Software:Lightroom 2.0, PS CS4 - Silver Efex Pro" without which it would have been a just a snapshot image with may be 0 favorite.

RX100V, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/ (external link)

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
2,014 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 01, 2013 18:49 |  #20

So the creative use of equipment/software is what makes it then..

Bas
Flickr (external link)

CallumRD1
427 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 01, 2013 19:33 as a reply to  @ DutchinCLE's post |  #21

A great photograph will only come about with the correct combination of both vision and skill from the photographer, and the correct equipment to fit that vision, both the physical gear and post-processing to match.

There is also a point where getting better gear enables a type of photo to be taken. Have you ever tried to take photos of flying birds with nothing longer than a 50mm f/1.8? I have, and the results were just as bad as you can imagine. Without the right equipment, some photos will be impossible. In other cases, they just won't be as good as they could be with the right equipment.

To some extent better gear will improve the photograph, but a lot of the time it just makes a mediocre photo a little more detailed.

In the end, all the parts need to come together just right to create a great photograph. No one element is solely responsible for the outcome.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,277 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2013 19:33 |  #22

DutchinCLE wrote in post #15780439 (external link)

Its finding the right combo that allows you to get what you are seeing captured and to a final stage whatever that might be. Its usually not all the stuff but the right stuff. ;)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 01, 2013 19:39 |  #23

DutchinCLE wrote in post #15780439 (external link)

Hehe! :D

"Give me great gear and I will develop the skill to use it to it's limit!"
or...
"I have a vision of the images I want to make...let me have the gear to translate that vision into reality!"

Which sounds the most realistic towards making fine pictures?

Growing old disgracefully!

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 01, 2013 19:45 |  #24

The real question here is If all your fancy great gear dropped in a lake would you be able to create stunning images with a less-fancy, backup kit? If you have some vision, good problem solving, and think creatively you can do it! That's something I love about photography.

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2013 19:48 |  #25

If gear didn't matter I could have saved 20K and shot weddings with my Galaxy SIII.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 01, 2013 20:02 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Not all types of photography is about creativity...

Bifs, airshows, sports photography etc are all about 'getting the shot'.

In those situation, gear is just as important as skills, creativity means very little if any.

Try giving a pro a XTi + 18-55 kit lens vs a noob with 1DX + 70-200II to shoot an indoor basketball match. I bet the noob with half a brain will most likely produce better results than the pro...

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,831 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 01, 2013 20:18 |  #27

Talent is over rated.
Really???

There is a great quote out there:
99% of the gear is better than 99% of the photographers (I would give credit if I knew where it came from)
It is a rather rare case where the gear is the limit.
Give a poor photographer a 500 f4 -plenty of examples out there, and see what they get: poor pictures with a narrow field of view.
Give a poor photographer a 85 1.2 -even more examples out there, and you will get a only-eyelashes-in -focus shot characteristic of someone who has no clue of how to use shallow depth of field.
Give a poor photographer an MPE. You will giggle browsing through highly magnified pieces of crap.

Juan

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 01, 2013 20:20 |  #28

sjones wrote in post #15780308 (external link)
My answer (external link).

Also, I'm out, as I don't need to go over all of this again (give me another month), but PM's always welcome.

I'm not going to read "all" of it, but I can just tell by the first paragraph that I agree!

_
My Gear is ---> Here

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2013 20:36 |  #29

kin2son wrote in post #15780721 (external link)
Not all types of photography is about creativity...

Bifs, airshows, sports photography etc are all about 'getting the shot'.

In those situation, gear is just as important as skills, creativity means very little if any.

Try giving a pro a XTi + 18-55 kit lens vs a noob with 1DX + 70-200II to shoot an indoor basketball match. I bet the noob with half a brain will most likely produce better results than the pro...

I beg to differ... ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 01, 2013 20:43 |  #30

pixel_junkie wrote in post #15780303 (external link)
Creativity > Skill > Gear

what about light dude :D?

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links

33,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear vs Skill
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.