Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear vs Skill

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2013 08:53 |  #61

LV Moose wrote in post #15782188 (external link)
I don't believe either is true. Creativity is in your mind, skill is in your brain (and hands, to some extent).

More gear just gives you more options.

Agreed.

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2013 09:25 |  #62

LV Moose wrote in post #15782188 (external link)
I don't believe either is true. Creativity is in your mind, skill is in your brain (and hands, to some extent).

More gear just gives you more options.

Very true Moose - better gear (not gears) can make certain operations and functions EASIER for some. I bigger brighter camera LCD can make life easier, expecially for my old eyes. It can improve efficency or encourage experimentation.

That elusive creature known as creativity though - you can't buy that in a box.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

moose10101
registered smartass
1,667 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 02, 2013 09:35 |  #63

shinyknights wrote in post #15780335 (external link)
I'm just saying that any one who knows how to work a camera (use manual settings) should be able to take as great photos as a great photographer, right? Taking post-processing out of the mix because that is what REALLY makes photography look so great and stunning.

Taking note that, at least in my time zone, it was still April Fool's Day when this was posted.

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 02, 2013 09:35 |  #64

Victoria Secret Models Instagram self-portrait >>>>> Skills > Gears :lol:

Nikon D800

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2013 09:36 |  #65

moose10101 wrote in post #15782424 (external link)
Taking note that, at least in my time zone, it was still April Fool's Day when this was posted.

That's a very good observation Moose - could be the joke is on us :lol:.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 02, 2013 09:37 |  #66

Not this again :(

For those who say skill > gear, go take photos with your iphone and wait till someone tells you "you've got a great camera" ...only then you will understand.

Hopefully I won't be retired by then

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2013 10:03 |  #67

smorter wrote in post #15782432 (external link)
Not this again :(

For those who say skill > gear, go take photos with your iphone and wait till someone tells you "you've got a great camera" ...only then you will understand.

Hopefully I won't be retired by then

My thoughts again......;). I agree, and would never suggest the example you put forth.

My issue is with folks who are convinced that throwing cash at high end gear will also get you vision, creative thought, and that special "eye."

GEAR LIST

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 02, 2013 12:01 |  #68

It could be argued that to a degree gear can make up for lack of skill, but skill and creativity are very different things, and nothing can make up for a lack of creativity. People keep making statements like "give a pro a 10mm lens and a noob a 400mm and have them shoot birds, the noob will take better pictures", that's completely pointless and proves nothing. A better way to look at it, would be, lets say, give Alec Soth an xti with a kit lens or something like an s90, and give someone with mediocre creative ability a 1dx with a 24-70L, send them off for a month to photograph whatever they want, its pretty obvious who comes back with better images.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 02, 2013 14:41 |  #69

namtot wrote in post #15782948 (external link)
It could be argued that to a degree gear can make up for lack of skill, ....

Again, I don't see why this perception is held for photography, when the very idea would be completely nonsensical if the exact same POV is applied to any other discipline.

Try and see if this theory stands up when the gear we are talking about is for instance;

- Surgical equipment: Will a novice fair better with a laser scalpel on your aorta?

- Aircraft: Will the guy that has only flown a Cessna necessarily make better landings when you stick him in an F-15?

- Power tools: So you've handled a jig saw once, time to move up to our 14" radial arm saw.

- Heavy machinery: Your riding mower skills qualify you to use a tower crane, on a busy jobsite. The steel workers won't mind, they know that this pricey expensive "gears" makes you better at operating the crane in a safe and timely manner.

- Archery: If the Nerf bow was easy, then a professional 120 pound draw longbow should be a breeze!

- Automobiles: going from the "consumer/novice" Vehicles we drive to professional vehicles like 18 wheelers, or Formula 1 cars. Will these make you a better driver?

All these notions are pretty ludicrous to any sane person, no?

That modern camera equipment makes our lives easier is not in doubt.

If however, you feel it makes you a better photographer, and imbues you with magical skills that you did not need to actually learn, than you don't know what either a photographer, or skill is.

I think we need to separate the idea of equipment = skill, from the parallel truth, that one should use the right tool for the job. Skill teaches us what the right tool is.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CallumRD1
427 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 02, 2013 15:01 |  #70

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15783561 (external link)
I think we need to separate the idea of equipment = skill, from the parallel truth, that one should use the right tool for the job. Skill teaches us what the right tool is.

But having access to the right tool makes the job that much easier, or in the case of photography, the photo matching the vision of the photographer.

Skill and equipment are interlinked and can't ever be fully separated, hence the futility of the arguments on this thread. We can only talk of degrees and specific situations.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Noitca
550 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 02, 2013 15:02 |  #71

Again, I don't see why this perception is held for photography, when the very idea would be completely nonsensical if the exact same POV is applied to any other discipline.

Try and see if this theory stands up when the gear we are talking about is for instance;

- Surgical equipment: Will a novice fair better with a laser scalpel on your aorta?

- Aircraft: Will the guy that has only flown a Cessna necessarily make better landings when you stick him in an F-15?

- Power tools: So you've handled a jig saw once, time to move up to our 14" radial arm saw.

- Heavy machinery: Your riding mower skills qualify you to use a tower crane, on a busy jobsite. The steel workers won't mind, they know that this pricey expensive "gears" makes you better at operating the crane in a safe and timely manner.

- Archery: If the Nerf bow was easy, then a professional 120 pound draw longbow should be a breeze!

- Automobiles: going from the "consumer/novice" Vehicles we drive to professional vehicles like 18 wheelers, or Formula 1 cars. Will these make you a better driver?

All these notions are pretty ludicrous to any sane person, no?

That modern camera equipment makes our lives easier is not in doubt.

If however, you feel it makes you a better photographer, and imbues you with magical skills that you did not need to actually learn, than you don't know what either a photographer, or skill is.

You know what I don't like about those associations? It's too broad and the expectation of GREATNESS is held too high.

Take the automobile one....

I take my Accord v6 to a track and do some laps, pushing it as hard as I can. Record fastest lap time. Now, I get into a Ferrari 458 Italia. After a few minutes of getting acquainted with the car, would it be reasonable to expect I could get the Ferrari to a faster lap time than the Accord, relatively quickly out of the gate? I would. Are any of my times good compared to what a professional could do in the same cars, no. Does that make me competitive as a professional driver, no... but, did the better equipment change the results for the better?

I don't see photography as much different. I mean, what lens setup would I expect better results from across the board... my 55-250 set to 200mm with a 2x converter (Ha, yeah, I actually typed that), or a 400 2.8?

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2013 15:05 |  #72

- Aircraft: Will the guy that has only flown a Cessna necessarily make better landings when you stick him in an F-15?.....

Now Jake - I beg to differ. That F-15 WILL get you into the runway MUCH faster than a Cessna. Oh, wait...........you probably meant a controlled landing?

GEAR LIST

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2013 15:10 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

I agree. You need 1dX and couple of L lenses, preferably the 200L f2, you will immediately be shooting like a pro. And your photos will worth millions too. You will be famous.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2013 15:19 |  #74

This subject is way too sensitive for some people. ;) If you haven't mastered light, then you're doing it wrong regardless of the gear one owns.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 02, 2013 15:34 |  #75

Noitca wrote in post #15783674 (external link)
I take my Accord v6 to a track and do some laps, pushing it as hard as I can. Record fastest lap time. Now, I get into a Ferrari 458 Italia. ..... did the better equipment change the results for the better?

I wouldn't argue that, just as I wouldn't argue that someone who had never shot with a camera before would get 14 FPS out of a 1Dx where as a seasoned pro would still be laboring along at 3 FPS with a 10D.

I also would not argue that such a thing might help the hapless innocent get a well timed shot.

My POV remains that none of this means that the equipment has made the 1Dx shooter a better photographer, nor that it is likely that after shooting an event next to the 10D shooter, the 1Dx shooter will end up with a superior group of images.

The Ferrari did not make you a better driver. It's just faster, and that has no reflection on your ability to use it. Could it help your end result? Of course, it's better. It could also put you into the wall, or even just lose you the race off the line as your tires lit up where as the skilled driver got the hole shot and maintained the lead.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

33,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear vs Skill
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.