Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear vs Skill

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,933 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 02, 2013 15:35 |  #76

jdizzle wrote in post #15783766 (external link)
... If you haven't mastered light, then you're doing it wrong ...

Dare I use it?

Oh, why not!?

bw!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2013 15:54 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

jdizzle wrote in post #15783766 (external link)
This subject is way too sensitive for some people. ;) If you haven't mastered light, then you're doing it wrong regardless of the gear one owns.

Who needs lights when you can get nose free photos from ISO 128000 and shooting with a F1 glass. :) Is all about the gear.....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,933 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 02, 2013 15:56 |  #78

Is all about the gears

corrected :lol:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

XBAMBOBEE
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 02, 2013 16:06 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #79

Interesting discussion...

In my opinion, I would say gear has an overall and big advantage over skill. Otherwise, most folks would be having just a single Rebel camera and a mere kit lens. As opposed to the multi L lenses and camera bodies most folks have listed under their signatures.

This is why everyone's dream and wish list is to have the best gear available that Canon offers and in addition to that, it is because of gear that people are always on the watch out for new body releases.

Skill comes with practice and experience.

2 Legit 2 Quit

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Apr 02, 2013 16:13 |  #80

gh patriot wrote in post #15780667 (external link)
If gear didn't matter I could have saved 20K and shot weddings with my Galaxy SIII.

1. If skill didn't matter your clients could save a lot of money by simply renting gear similar to yours on their wedding day.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1288179
http://www.businessins​ider.com …otos-2011-3#joe-girardi-1 (external link)

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,789 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 02, 2013 16:19 |  #81

Provide a group of monkeys with the absolutely fastest computer, the highest quality computer monitor, a professional quality photographic printer, Lightroom 4, the highest speed router and DSL connection, the best cloud storage solution backed by RAID data redundancy, a 1Dx camera with 16-35mm f/2.8 lens

and you will have the highest resolution low noise but out-of-focus shots of random photos of whatever the lens happens to be pointed at, at the time of shutter press.

Gear ENABLES.
The photographer CAPTURES the reality with best composition and putting to best use the features of the highest quality gear, and may CREATE a visualization of an interpretation of reality.
The snapshooter is merely a more intelligent version of the monkey with an automatic camera, and at times will capture no better photos!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mzondeki
880 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 02, 2013 16:19 |  #82

Keep in mind that "Gear" has already accounted lot of skill (of engineers, scientists, developers, designers, machinist, artists so on ). The so debated "Skill" would be fraction of the skill put in the gear. That's why you see surge of ultra cheap craigslist wedding photographers. Gear matters whether you are novice or professional, just some knows how to best utilize gear.

RX100V, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/ (external link)

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 02, 2013 16:22 |  #83

IMHO, you should only want more gear,if you aren't satisfied with the image you want to create and you KNOW a little bit better light than you had to work with would make the image... :)

if you find yourself thinking "I need more gear" and not "I need better light"... <shrug> as I often say in my professional line of work "Are you sure your asking the right question?"

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2013 16:22 |  #84

One must have the skill to wield the gear. Otherwise one may be throwing money away.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2013 16:36 |  #85

I think we have come to the conclusion that gear is important and that skill is more important. I also think we have learned that some photographers are touchy on this subject as it devalues their work to say it wasn't them, it was their gear.

On a related note...

With the ever increasing amount of quality cameras in the marketplace, there is ever increasing access to those who wouldn't otherwise have made the investment. Many of these people will have natural talent and could give some people the sense that it is the gear and not the photographer.

I know people who take great shots with their phone. They have an eye for it and I tell them so. I also tell them when they take instagram too far, but that's another topic.

We've all seen this right?

http://choskins.co.uk …apher-png-scaled-1000.jpg (external link)

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2013 17:04 |  #86

Wilt wrote in post #15783983 (external link)
Provide a group of monkeys with the absolutely fastest computer, the highest quality computer monitor, a professional quality photographic printer, Lightroom 4, the highest speed router and DSL connection, the best cloud storage solution backed by RAID data redundancy, a 1Dx camera with 16-35mm f/2.8 lens

and you will have the highest resolution but out-of-focus shots of random photos of whatever the lens happens to be pointed at, at the time of shutter press.

Would that be the same group of monkeys that were given a word processor and, after an infinite time, wrote Hamlet? :D:D

(Good point though!)

Growing old disgracefully!

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2013 17:10 as a reply to  @ Ricardo222's post |  #87

Which camera has more gears?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,789 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 02, 2013 17:15 |  #88

Ricardo222 wrote in post #15784132 (external link)
Would that be the same group of monkeys that were given a word processor and, after an infinite time, wrote Hamlet? :D:D

(Good point though!)

no, different breed...photographer monkeys vs. writer monkeys vs. playwright monkeys. Same species only has a single skill, takes different species to have different skills. you can recognize the photographer monkeys by the chimping. the writer monkeys brood a lot and make a lot of paper scrap and only occasionally get something onto paper...often only sh*t not worth reading. The playright monkeys get a lot of sh*t on stage, only some of which is on Broadway.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dasher108
Goldmember
1,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 02, 2013 17:17 |  #89

LV Moose wrote in post #15784150 (external link)
Which camera has more gears?

Darn it that is what I thought too!! I took my Rebel apart, and only found two gears inside. Do I need more skill?

T3i |70D |70-200L| 400L | 100-400L | 24-105L | 50 1.8 | sig 10-20 | sig 150-500

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2013 17:19 |  #90

Wilt wrote in post #15784172 (external link)
no, different breed...photographer monkeys vs. writer monkeys. Same species only has a single skill, takes different species to have different skills. you can recognize the photographer monkeys by the chimping. the writer monkeys brood a lot and only occasionally get something onto paper.

:D:D That really cracked me up!! :D:D

Of course, you are quite correct...all the monkeys around here can hardly do ONE job properly!

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links

33,654 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear vs Skill
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.