Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 23:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography website?

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 02, 2013 23:34 |  #1

As i am currently a student studying photography, i need a website to host my images.
I was thinking of just using flickr or something like that for now un till i can afford to pay for web hostings. Which website is the best for that? So would it be a good idea to buy a domain name and redirect it to a flickr or facebook (or whatever other site) account?
Also would a gmail/outlook account suffice for business?

Thanks.

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 02, 2013 23:59 |  #2

If you are serious about starting up a business, I would buy a domain name and use Wordpress to showcase your work. If you are serious about starting up a business, I wouldn't not use flickr, Facebook etc as a website. Nothing wrong with having both a flickr and FB account, but not using it as a website.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 03, 2013 00:04 |  #3

No matter what, start somewhere. You will get to right track.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 03, 2013 00:13 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #4

Short term, I think Facebook would be good, maybe even duplicate it over to google+. Those are free. Get people to like it and maybe if your work is good it will grow socially through WOM.

Long term you'll want a website with a memorable name that people can find and something you have full control over. Hosting is like $10-20/month. And you can set up your mail to forward to gmail or wherever. Have your mail as name@yourwebsite.com (external link) and not name@gmail.com (external link) Keep the brand consistent.

IMHO, Facebook is not very good for showcasing photography. But then again, hundreds of photographers have flash based websites which are terrible for navigation. I like to peruse various photographers' websites, but many of them are just too slow for me.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 03, 2013 00:46 |  #5

Hi Nathan

My opinion is to start with a flickr and facebook account. Build a portfolio of quality work before building a professional website offering paid services. Fans don't necessarily translate into customers, but the more people that see your work, the more chances you'll be seen by someone wanting your services. Social networks (Facebook) are fantastic tools for photographers if used right.

What kind of photography are you planning to shoot, professionally?

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 03, 2013 02:19 |  #6

rjx wrote in post #15670597 (external link)
Hi Nathan

My opinion is to start with a flickr and facebook account. Build a portfolio of quality work before building a professional website offering paid services. Fans don't necessarily translate into customers, but the more people that see your work, the more chances you'll be seen by someone wanting your services. Social networks (Facebook) are fantastic tools for photographers if used right.

What kind of photography are you planning to shoot, professionally?

Professionally atm i would like to be shooting weddings and portraiture.
i think as everyone said it will be easier to start with flickr and facebook and build up a bigger portfolio before i move onto my own site.

Thanks for everyones opinions :)

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 06, 2013 19:06 |  #7

It's a good idea to have a flickr, and Facebook presence, but neither are professional by themselves.

I'm pretty sure you can get a free site from Cargo Collective (external link).

These sites have clean design and are easy to navigate, which are two very important components of a website. If you don't have a strong idea of what you're doing with website design, make it as simple as possible.

Best of luck!

brett201
85 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 06, 2013 19:41 |  #8

mltn wrote in post #15685307 (external link)
It's a good idea to have a flickr, and Facebook presence, but neither are professional by themselves.

I'm pretty sure you can get a free site from Cargo Collective (external link).

These sites have clean design and are easy to navigate, which are two very important components of a website. If you don't have a strong idea of what you're doing with website design, make it as simple as possible.

Best of luck!

Free websites are not very professional either. I have never heard of Cargo Collective, but like wix or vistaprint or anywhere else where sites are "free", you get what you pay for.

OP has the right idea: build a portfolio first.

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 06, 2013 20:07 |  #9

brett201 wrote in post #15685443 (external link)
Free websites are not very professional either. I have never heard of Cargo Collective, but like wix or vistaprint or anywhere else where sites are "free", you get what you pay for.

OP has the right idea: build a portfolio first.

Maybe look at the site before you burn it then?

Cargo sites look many times better than wix, smugmug, zenfolio, and a whole host of other canned portfolio sites. Also you have to submit your work to be approved for a site, so not every joe blow can just sign up for one.

This is a random site (external link), featured on the front page of Cargo. Looks real bad I'll say...

Anyways, my main point was not to preach, but to show that there are options for free sites, that don't look like garbage, and that aren't covered in the branding of the host site.

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 19, 2013 19:11 |  #10

Having a website is definitely a must these days. You can still post photos on FB in order to gain more audience. But always refer them back to your website or your blog.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 19, 2013 19:12 |  #11

Try 500px.com

Arob1000
823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2013 23:32 |  #12

Sorry to steal your thread but I have a similar question. I currently have a 500px "awesome" membership which I like but I was looking into Smugmug recently. Do you guys think it is smart to just get my own domain name and use the 500px hosting/template or do something like smugmug instead.

I have a facebook fan page and have been referring people to my 500px as my "Main" page but although the portfolio on 500px is nice, I've heard people are having trouble navigating the normal page and finding my photos.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 02, 2013 15:36 |  #13

Arob1000
823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Apr 02, 2013 20:24 |  #14

I'm looking for a site where I can directly sell prints, I guess Smugmug/Zenfolio is my only option...I wish 500px had a better website, I like the look of the one I just made here (external link) but not being able to sell prints is annoying...

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 02, 2013 20:39 |  #15

sponsored links

3,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography website?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.