Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 19:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack for a gripped body with L-bracket

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2013 19:00 |  #1

OK, I'm hoping to get some help finding a backpack that can truly handle either a 5D Mark III with BG-E11 Grip AND L-bracket or a 1DX with an L-bracket with a lens attached.

I can fit these in my top loading thinkTANK Retrospective 20 but when it comes to a backpack I SOL. I have both a thinkTANK Streetwalker Pro and Pro HD and neither can really accommodate these when I attach a lens. The width is too narrow and the dividers just don't setup properly. Its the L-bracket that throws these bags out of whack. The extra width was not anticipated by the designers.

If you got a bag you think would work let me know. It would also help to provide a link to the bag if you could. A picture with your pro DSLR with L-bracket would even be better.
Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,436 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2013 19:27 |  #2

fstopgear looks to have excellent backpacks if you're going to carry a lot of heavy L glass. They're a little expensive, but great stuff according to many reviews. Or you can go cheap like me and use inserts into various bags.

I think the fstop with PRO ICU's will do the trick.

http://fstopgear.com/p​roduct/mountain/icu (external link)

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

lgndracer
42 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 02, 2013 07:28 |  #3

I have a oem Canon grip on my 7d with an RRS L bracket attached to my 70-200/2.8 and use the TT Streetwalker Pro 95% of the time over my other bags. I have the dividers set to have it and a 10-22, a 17-55/2.8, 580exII, a spot for my intervalometer, and then a nice little left over space for my BlackRapid RS-7 with an RRS B2-FAB-F attached to it for quick connect/disconnect to the L bracket.

What issue are you having with the Streetwalker Pro? You have a pic?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 02, 2013 11:08 |  #4

I have the Tamrac Expedition 5x and the 6x and both will easily fit a 1Dx or a gripped camera with a lens on (even the 100-400L or the 70-200L) with space to spare for extra lenses and flash.

...Leo

jrscls
Goldmember
2,983 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 02, 2013 16:26 |  #5

The TT Streetwalker Hard Drive will hold a gripped 5D III with a RRS L bracket with lens attached. No problem fitting it at all. You need to lower the tab underneath the body at the expense of taking some room in the laptop compartment.

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2013 17:03 |  #6

The Pro Large ICU from F-stop makes a tight fit for my gripped 5S2 with L bracket. They do fit, but not fabulous.
Sometime you can even feel the head of camera body on your waist when you wear the backpack on. But if I laid my camera side down, it was better.

Personally I tried several backpacks, I haven't find one can make a lot of room fro a gripped body with L plate. What I'm talking about are the backpacks with upper compartment and store gears down. If it's a pure DSLR backpack, you can just load it on top and you will never feel it I guess.

The Vanguard skyborne are the best for me to date to carry a huge body due to it's thick padding, but it is not a good backpack IMO.

I think Tenba shootout medium should fit, also I only tried with my gripped 50D without L-plate, still had room. But it is a pure backpack without any compartments for other stuffs.
My Clik Elite Probody Sport only provide a very tight fit for a gripped body. I suggest you to try to try some Clik Elite's, they make large backpacks presumably can fit.

From comments above, I guess you can safely go with TT

Fly me away.

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 02, 2013 18:52 |  #7

PacAce wrote in post #15782761 (external link)
I have the Tamrac Expedition 5x and the 6x and both will easily fit a 1Dx or a gripped camera with a lens on (even the 100-400L or the 70-200L) with space to spare for extra lenses and flash.

Had the 6x when I had my 5D2 with grip and L-bracket. It did solve this problem well. Switched to TT Streetwalker Pro but didn't realize it would have some difficulty. It's definitely a trade off of the wider and heavier 6x to the narrower and lighter TT SW Pro.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 02, 2013 18:54 |  #8

jrscls wrote in post #15784016 (external link)
The TT Streetwalker Hard Drive will hold a gripped 5D III with a RRS L bracket with lens attached. No problem fitting it at all. You need to lower the tab underneath the body at the expense of taking some room in the laptop compartment.

Yes, the SW HD will work ( have one ) but it is considerably heavier and larger than SW Pro.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 02, 2013 18:56 |  #9

lgndracer wrote in post #15782009 (external link)
I have a oem Canon grip on my 7d with an RRS L bracket attached to my 70-200/2.8 and use the TT Streetwalker Pro 95% of the time over my other bags. I have the dividers set to have it and a 10-22, a 17-55/2.8, 580exII, a spot for my intervalometer, and then a nice little left over space for my BlackRapid RS-7 with an RRS B2-FAB-F attached to it for quick connect/disconnect to the L bracket.

What issue are you having with the Streetwalker Pro? You have a pic?

Do you have a photo of yours since your happy with your setup?

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

lgndracer
42 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 06, 2013 10:24 |  #10

swldstn wrote in post #15784555 (external link)
Do you have a photo of yours since your happy with your setup?

I'm traveling for work currently, but will when I get back home mid next week.

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2013 01:51 |  #11

Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Pro

Old photo with a gripped 5D Mark II and no L-plate, but my gripped 5D Mark III with RRS L-plate fits the same way.

IMAGE: http://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Ocab-20120129-180558.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.ocabj.net …ar-with-think-tank-photo/  (external link)

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,075 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 09, 2013 09:51 |  #12

I have the cheap $39 Canon backpack they sell on amazon and my gripped 5D2 with plate fits fine.

virsago_mk2
598 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2013 08:35 |  #13

Plenty of option, really...

Lowepro Pro X450 (this is what I'm using now, fits 2x 5D3 +grips & L brackets)
Lowepro Fastpack 400 or 500
TT Streetwalker Pro

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 11, 2013 10:38 |  #14

ocabj wrote in post #15802432 (external link)
Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Pro

Old photo with a gripped 5D Mark II and no L-plate, but my gripped 5D Mark III with RRS L-plate fits the same way.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.ocabj.net …ar-with-think-tank-photo/  (external link)

Thanks for the photo. Looks like you push out the side quite a bit making in the original goal of the TT SW pro to be narrower to provide more clearance in crowded streets. In that case I might just go back to a wider bag like the tamrac expeditions 6x or something else. :(

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 11, 2013 11:01 |  #15

swldstn wrote in post #15815823 (external link)
Thanks for the photo. Looks like you push out the side quite a bit making in the original goal of the TT SW pro to be narrower

Not really. That's just how it looks when the bag is open. When you zip it up, all that 'slack' is compressed.

IMAGE: http://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Ocab-20120116-133525-600.jpg

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack for a gripped body with L-bracket
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.