Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

800x or 1000x CF for 1Dx?

aliengin
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2013 08:23 |  #1

I curenly have x600 and this creates a buffer after 30-40 frames. I was looking at the card and was wondering if x1000 will be an overkill? I am not shooting video but I use high shooting mode alot for sports. In a perfect world without a doubt I would pick x1000 but the price difference is huge between x800 and x1000 almost double.

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 02, 2013 17:22 |  #2

Based on Canon's specs for the 1Dx and RAW, you're filling the camera's buffer - a faster card won't make more than a frame or two's difference in that. They say the buffer capacity is 35 frames, or 38 frames with a UDMA 7 card. Shooting at higher ISO settings will decrease that somewhat.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2013 19:39 |  #3

I shoot a lot with 2 MK4s... I have 600x and 1000x cards....

Honestly there isn't THAT Much difference (say about 1 frame a sec on write speed).... I'd say keep the 600x you have and as you need more get 1000x....

NOW CAUTION... What kind of cards do you have? Some say 600 and are SLOW.. I can say I shoot Lexar and they really stand behind them. The 600 is fast and the 1000 is BLISTERINGLY FAST. You may want to get a single 1000x lexar to compare them to..

Now, what do you think of the 1DX?

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

aliengin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2013 19:50 |  #4

I liked it so much I bought two of them :D
So I did a test with 600x transcend and Sandisk Extreme Pro. Both of them shoot about 42-45 RAW on initial burst but the difference startes after that.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2013 20:15 |  #5

The initial burst isn't really critical... Thats based on camera memory and file size (of course it its writing some at that point, but thats minor).

If you hold it down until it stops then time it to see how fast the buffer clears. Thats the speed you are looking for where the speed of the card is critical...

Me,, I shoot RAW and about 8FPS at max speed (don't need all the extra frames in airshows or air racing). If I pause for a second, a lot of frames get written to the card and I have "more" buffer open. So its a matter of technique on how to get the most of it. Kind of like shooting a machine gun. You don't spray and pray, you pick a target, fire a burst, stop shooting, move to next target and repeat...

Mark H

aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 02, 2013 20:16 |  #6

It is fun to watch it transfer at over 100MB/s ;)

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 02, 2013 20:21 |  #7

Do you ever check your Actuation number?

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2013 20:39 |  #8

When shooting the difference between 800x and 1000x on my 7D is barely noticeable, however the extra MB/s read spread over the course of 16 and 32GB when dumping the card through a USB 3.0 Lexar card reader does add up to a noticeable difference per card time wise.

So when it comes to memory cards my rule of thumb is this, if you're buying with intent on use for paying gigs, the 1000x card pay for themselves under the guise time is money, and less time spent in the digital darkroom and that extra one or two shots at the critical moment may make your paycheck. If you're buying the cards for personal use, 800X cards seem to run 40-50% cheaper for the same size card, so they are plenty for personal work and reasonable for paid work. Ultimately you'll likely end up with a mix in your bag and grab different cards based on the speed vs. size demands at the moment.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

aliengin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2013 20:45 |  #9

This is interesting. I've been looking at the 600x, 800x, 1000x numbers however read/write speeds are totally different. Forexample Sandisk Extreme Pro rated as 600x and has 90mb/s read and write then I look at Lexar 800x card and it says read 120mb/s and write 45mb/s
So my understanding write is the one that effects camera's choking right?

Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2013 20:55 |  #10

aliengin wrote in post #15784945 (external link)
This is interesting. I've been looking at the 600x, 800x, 1000x numbers however read/write speeds are totally different. Forexample Sandisk Extreme Pro rated as 600x and has 90mb/s read and write then I look at Lexar 800x card and it says read 120mb/s and write 45mb/s
So my understanding write is the one that effects camera's choking right?

Correct, write speed is how fast the camera buffer (internal memory) writes to the card. Read speed is how fast your computer reads the information that is stored on the card.

There's a link that has dozens of cameras, hundreds of cards and the actual read and write speeds from testing them. I just can't remember the name of the guy who made the site to search for it, nor find it in my bookmarks. It can be a very helpful resource in sorting through the advertising.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

aliengin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2013 21:39 |  #11

OK did some sort of test.
600x transcend vs Sandisk Extreme Pro
Both had an initial burst about 45 frames. 600x transcent took 13 seconds to write, Sandisk took about 9, maybe 10 seconds.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 03, 2013 04:49 as a reply to  @ aliengin's post |  #12

There you go.... You are starting to understand...

Once I bought a single (easier and cheaper to return if necessary) 600x card when they were new (I forget the brand). At the time I had a few 533x GMonsters (still fast) and a LOT of 233x cards. The new 600x wrote about as fast as the 233x cards. Nothing even close to the 533x cards....

Mark H

FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 03, 2013 10:15 |  #13

Motor On wrote in post #15784981 (external link)
There's a link that has dozens of cameras, hundreds of cards and the actual read and write speeds from testing them. I just can't remember the name of the guy who made the site to search for it, nor find it in my bookmarks. It can be a very helpful resource in sorting through the advertising.

That would be Rob Galbraith. (external link)

sponsored links

3,570 views & 0 likes for this thread
800x or 1000x CF for 1Dx?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.