Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick question about setting up an old internal HD as a new external storage drive

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2013 10:20 |  #1

So last week my laptop fried (sparks popped, black smoke came out the vents .... very bad stunk the house up for a few days). Anyways I pulled the HD and picked up an external docking bay. Last night I pulled everything off the drive I wanted and backed it all up onto other computers.

Now I want to erase that drive down to nothing and use it as a storage drive only for my desktop (still mounted to the external bay).

Can I just reformate it, whats the best way to go about this? Using windows 8 on my desktop. I have a few older laptops and desktops just collecting dust, now that I have this pay I am thinking I will pull the HD's and reformate them all.

sponsored links
Jim ­ K
451 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2013 10:23 |  #2

I would do a low level format on it just to be sure there are no bad sectors after all the time in the laptop.

Canon: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 10-22, 15-85 IS, 1.4x II, 580EX
5D3, 24-105 f/4L IS, 17-40 f/4L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5L II. S100 p&s
Gitzo GT3530LS, Wimberley ver. II. Manfrottto: tripod 055XPROB legs, 448RC2 head; monopod 679B, 234RC tilt head

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2013 10:26 |  #3

Jim K wrote in post #15782617 (external link)
I would do a low level format on it just to be sure there are no bad sectors after all the time in the laptop.

Thank you for that, after formating theres nothing more to do, it will just be a blank drive ready to go?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2013 14:47 |  #4

Modern drives cannot be low level formatted outside of the factory.

Simply right click on the drive in File Explorer, and choose format. Don't quick format it so that it will read each sector while formatting which may detect latent bad sectors.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2013 14:56 |  #5

mike_d wrote in post #15783584 (external link)
Modern drives cannot be low level formatted outside of the factory.

Simply right click on the drive in File Explorer, and choose format. Don't quick format it so that it will read each sector while formatting which may detect latent bad sectors.

Thank you I was finding it hard to get info on low level formating. Will run the formating tonight :)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,119 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 02, 2013 15:02 |  #6

Personally, I would use administrative tools to obliterate the current primary partition and replace it with an extended partition, with a logical drive letter.

I'd walk you through it, but I've never laid eyes on Windows 8

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2013 15:19 |  #7

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15783666 (external link)
Personally, I would use administrative tools to obliterate the current primary partition and replace it with an extended partition, with a logical drive letter.

I'd walk you through it, but I've never laid eyes on Windows 8

You are a very lucky guy for never seeing Windows 8 lol. I will do a little more reading. From what I can tell it should be the same as 7 or vista.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2013 20:07 |  #8

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15783764 (external link)
You are a very lucky guy for never seeing Windows 8 lol. I will do a little more reading. From what I can tell it should be the same as 7 or vista.

Yeah partition management and formatting is exactly the same, once you find the console.

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 03, 2013 05:40 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #9

I think Windows 8 belongs on tablet/mobile touchscreen devices, My 14 year old loves it on his Laptop but I can't see it making it into the offices, at least that of the larger kind.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 03, 2013 07:24 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #10

Well got it all formatted overnight .... took forever :)

Thank you guys for your help.

sponsored links

1,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick question about setting up an old internal HD as a new external storage drive
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.