Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm f1.2 L

doc.paradox
222 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 31, 2013 09:22 |  #61

mystik610 wrote in post #15774882 (external link)
ND filter is a must for outdoor portraits in harsh sunlight, if you want to maintain a shallow depth of field. Increasing the shutter speed isn't really an option here, as you're limited to a shutter speed of 1/250s to stay below the flash sync speed. Of course there's high speed flash sync, but this gobbles up flash reach and power, which is not at all ideal when you're trying to counter-act the sun to get a balanced exposure. Ideally, you'd want a strobe to overpower the sun, but this isn't always practical when shooting outdoors.

bw!

Absolutely, . . Well said - much more succinct then my ramblings and the point of staying below FSS is paramount to the whole enchilada. I often am forced to use HSS in many situations and every time I do , I can just hear the juice sucking out of my AA's - to counter this I gang up multiple speedlites, carry power packs and plenty of spares. Thanks Mystic - take a bow ;)

sponsored links
Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2013 09:32 |  #62

dexy101 wrote in post #15774639 (external link)
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. Sounds awfully dodgy to me.

doc.paradox wrote in post #15771821 (external link)
Here's another shot from my 85L ND test/experiment with the same settings, this time I'm about 40-50 ft away - focus is on the leaves protruding up from the middle right of the fence. Next step is to put a model/client in this type of tableau ((with a better composition)) for a sweet environmental portrait.

Hi
I love the setting this old rustic fence/gate gives. I just love portraits in landscape style shots.
Likewise I really liked the brown leather top hat, and thought the lady biker was just ace.
Also for me all 3 were perfectly exposed, perfection in colour rendition ( praying not manipulated in photoshop or LR4 etc. and 99% for composition (for my taste).

I'm not trying to be offensive but seriously interested in this lens. It very expensive for me so cant make a mistake.
All three of these shots seem OOF or subject to camera wobble ie not razor sharp.
I was trying to work out was it the camera or the lens or MFA or shutter speed i.e. wobble.

I am hoping when I get my laptop back on Monday ( loaned to a neighbour to do some processing because its super fast and 8GB Ram and has the best Hd screen) I'll be able to see the shutter speed, red focus box, and F no -

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

doc.paradox
222 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 31, 2013 10:56 |  #63

Submariner wrote in post #15775081 (external link)
Hi
I love the setting this old rustic fence/gate gives. I just love portraits in landscape style shots.
Likewise I really liked the brown leather top hat, and thought the lady biker was just ace.
Also for me all 3 were perfectly exposed, perfection in colour rendition ( praying not manipulated in photoshop or LR4 etc. and 99% for composition (for my taste).

Color is original, LR overcooking was simply pushing the shadows, pulling back the highlights, little contrast boost, . . all of which is too much (for my taste), just trying to add grit to the motorcycle mystic - and as is easy to do, took it too far :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be offensive but seriously interested in this lens. It very expensive for me so cant make a mistake.
All three of these shots seem OOF or subject to camera wobble ie not razor sharp.
I was trying to work out was it the camera or the lens or MFA or shutter speed i.e. wobble.

Not offended: They are razor sharp whithin the focal plane (believe me) and I think what your seeing is downsizing for the web and the effect of very narrow DOF. All of those pics are 1.2 and unless you are adding distance, thats a sliver. On the Gal and her Harley, the focus point is at logo on the tank - follow the plane through to her left hand and engine - this is the narrow plane of focus.

I am hoping when I get my laptop back on Monday ( loaned to a neighbour to do some processing because its super fast and 8GB Ram and has the best Hd screen) I'll be able to see the shutter speed, red focus box, and F no -

I really recommend renting the 85L before buying, it has a learning curve and although procuces magic images it needs a magician's helper to make it sing. The 1.8 is a viable performer and probably the biggest bang for the buck in the Canon line-up. For many of us, the extra 20-30% performance of the 1.2 for Wedding and Portrait work is a no brainer, . . and a money maker.

To shed more light on my over cooking in post, here is a SOOC shot with default LR sharpening and CA's removed. Followed by a version with -50 highlights and +20 shadows.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

doc.paradox
222 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 31, 2013 10:58 as a reply to  @ doc.paradox's post |  #64

Here is a 100% plus crop SOOC of the leather hat salesman with default LR sharpening . .

HOSTED PHOTO

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2013 15:48 |  #65

Thanks for the explanation
Much appreciated - OK I am a fan again.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

TECHNICA82
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 31, 2013 23:18 |  #66

doc.paradox wrote in post #15775048 (external link)
bw!

Absolutely, . . Well said - much more succinct then my ramblings and the point of staying below FSS is paramount to the whole enchilada. I often am forced to use HSS in many situations and every time I do , I can just hear the juice sucking out of my AA's - to counter this I gang up multiple speedlites, carry power packs and plenty of spares. Thanks Mystic - take a bow ;)

Thank you! I looked up and read more on hss. I will try to use less of hss from now on :)

Alecs333
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 03, 2013 12:42 |  #67

if you are interested:

a quick review of the Canon 85mm 1.2 II from the point of view of a wedding photographer

in Italian:

http://www.foto-matrimonio-toscana.com …ion-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

in English translated by google:

http://translate.googl​e.it …n-wedding-photographer%2F (external link)

shinyknights
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 03, 2013 13:28 |  #68

Alecs333 wrote in post #15787113 (external link)
if you are interested:

a quick review of the Canon 85mm 1.2 II from the point of view of a wedding photographer

in Italian:

http://www.foto-matrimonio-toscana.com …ion-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

in English translated by google:

http://translate.googl​e.it …n-wedding-photographer%2F (external link)

There's a bit too much foreground blur for my taste. It really makes the images a little distracting to look at. But I do agree that the 85mm 1.2 L II should be in every wedding photographer's kit.

I've read a few posts that photographers only bring their best lens if they are payed enough. I feel that, that's kinda sad. Shouldn't every photographer do his best to make the couples look beautiful no matter the pay? Some people simply don't have the extra money for photographers.

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 03, 2013 13:44 |  #69

TaDa wrote in post #15774760 (external link)
I recently sold off my Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo, but it's a great lens for the 85L. I happen to use my Lee kit for all my lenses now, but for a walkaround variable ND filter, Singh-Ray is hard to beat. Most of the times when you read things negative about vari-ND filters, it's with cheap filters like a Fader-ND. Singh-Ray makes an amazing product and is the only Vari-ND that I'd consider again.

Since the markings on the side of the singh-ray (or any other variable ND filters) do not represent ND stop values, how do you know how many stops it is on a given rotation? Would you able to rotate the ND filter and get exactly 3 stops of ND?

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 04, 2013 15:31 |  #70

I love my 85L, even though its Mk1. I lust after the faster focusing of Mk2, however, it is decently usable on the 5D3.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,119 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm f1.2 L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.