Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 20 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 23:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

igora90
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 04, 2013 10:53 |  #2416

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8114/8618637287_35b3f6a255_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …irorautiainen/8​618637287/  (external link)
_MG_1337 (external link) by Iiro Rautiainen (external link), on Flickr

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
oROSSo
268 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 04, 2013 11:06 |  #2417

i like that, but I'd rotate it just a touch to line the trap up perfectly.

A7R / 85mm f1.8 / 50mm f1.4 / TS-E 24mm f3.5L ii
Flickr (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,987 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Apr 04, 2013 16:19 |  #2418

jbm7777 wrote in post #15788693 (external link)
This is a better shot than the ones I've seen of this car on car and driver. Really captures the color. Thanks for that, it is super sexy! What were your in person impressions?

Thanks for the kind words. The WRX was due for a refresh. It is a very beautiful car although the sloaping back end is a little different. The rear of the car looks very nice as well. I have some more shots that I will post up of it. I just want to drive it! :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

realitysays
340 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 04, 2013 19:56 |  #2419

Sirrith wrote in post #15782307 (external link)
Got a really lucky break, weather has been foul for the past month or so, then today just when I happened to be out and about with my camera along just in case (as always), the clouds decided to break up a bit :)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/noobography/8​613750492/  (external link)
Window on Hong Kong (external link) by noobographer (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/noobography/8​613749986/  (external link)
Harbour sunset (external link) by noobographer (external link), on Flickr

This is beautiful! I was only just in Hong Kong a few weeks ago for a holiday and only had one clear day on the star ferry and we went to the peak and came back for the laser light show! Awesome.

2012 Cams Accredited Motorsport Photographer
Follow Me on Facebook! (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​koryleung/ (external link)
www.koryleungphotograp​hy.com.au (external link) - Motorsports & Automotive Photography

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 04, 2013 20:35 |  #2420

realitysays wrote in post #15791750 (external link)
This is beautiful! I was only just in Hong Kong a few weeks ago for a holiday and only had one clear day on the star ferry and we went to the peak and came back for the laser light show! Awesome.

Thanks! Yeah, spring isn't the best time to visit HK, too much rain! Autumn is much better :)
Its good that you got a clear day though.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 04, 2013 20:49 as a reply to  @ post 15771236 |  #2421

When shooting multiple shots of the same subject (like a brick wall in good daylight), and refocusing between each shot , is it normal that 4 - 5 out of 10 images end up slightly OOF? ..Has anyone else experienced this?

I am not getting these results because of user error. Camera is in fixed position with high shutter speed and cable release.

Edit: If you haven't thought about this, please try and let me know what you find.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 04, 2013 21:09 |  #2422

Ginga wrote in post #15791899 (external link)
When shooting multiple shots of the same subject (like a brick wall in good daylight), and refocusing between each shot , is it normal that 4 - 5 out of 10 images end up slightly OOF? ..Has anyone else experienced this?

I am not getting these results because of user error. Camera is in fixed position with high shutter speed and cable release.

Edit: If you haven't thought about this, please try and let me know what you find.

If the AF has a target with sufficient contrast, then no, I wouldn't consider that hit rate normal. Although, what do you mean by "slightly"? Maybe post examples of ones that you think are in focus and out of focus.

Neil

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 04, 2013 21:20 |  #2423

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #15791979 (external link)
If the AF has a target with sufficient contrast, then no, I wouldn't consider that hit rate normal. Although, what do you mean by "slightly"? Maybe post examples of ones that you think are in focus and out of focus.

Can't post any examples right now. I'm at work.

By 'slightly', I mean not completely out of focus, but clearly not where it should be. I can even see the difference when scrolling thru the photos on the camera LCD. I have tried many different AF targets with tons of contrast (brick walls, bar codes, e.t.c) in good daylight, but I am still not getting consistent results.

Just want to know if this is "normal" with Sigma, or if I should return my lens and get another copy.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,180 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 04, 2013 22:01 |  #2424

Return for another....it's gonna drive you crazy.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sony 10-18/4 | Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 | Sigma 56/1.4
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Zaphs
44 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 05, 2013 00:12 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #2425

I was wondering about the same thing!
Just got mine yesterday, didn't have the time to test it outdoors yet, so I'm not gonna go crazy about it yet. Did some basic testing on contrasty numbers under an angle (sort of like a home made test) and I suppose it would hit properly (not as sharp as some stuff I've seen around here, but it's too early to say that) most of the time, in tungsten light. Is it acceptable for it to miss focus every now and then when under tungsten light? I know it's sometimes considered a 'worse' condition than regular light.
I have a week of the possibility to exchange it for a new one right off the bat, so I'd like to know how could I test it better (other than just going outside with it next week when I'm done with some work). Can always send for calibration later on, but I don't feel like sending my camera for over a week just yet! :p Moved from 50 1.8 II to this, so it's a biiiiig change, in price as well and if I've just spent what I, for myself, consider a fortune, I'm bound to be paranoid about it:lol:

edit: can't MFA as it's 5Dc

6D, 24-70/4L IS, 50/1.2L, 135/2L :3

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 05, 2013 00:27 |  #2426

When you say "under an angle", do you mean the target was at an angle to the camera, with some numbers closer and some farther away from you, like a ruler? If so, the AF point isn't as small as you may think, and could be trying to hit at a range of distances. Try again with a flat target under all the proper conditions such as bright even light, tripod mounted, etc.

Neil

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 05, 2013 01:38 |  #2427

Zaps: like Neil said, try against a flat surface with lots of texture. See if you get consistent or mixed results.

idsurfer wrote in post #15792185 (external link)
Return for another....it's gonna drive you crazy.

Yeah I might do that. Unless that ship has sailed already.

But there's always Sigma service center.

behindtheglass
413 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 05, 2013 07:08 |  #2428

laxlife1234 wrote in post #15787182 (external link)
I kinda love this lens so much so I'm going to write a review on my blog soon :lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Older Swag (external link) by Jacob Skogs | www.jacobskoglund.com (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Cool Stopper (external link) by Jacob Skogs | www.jacobskoglund.com (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Smoked (external link) by Jacob Skogs | www.jacobskoglund.com (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Walkin Fashion (external link) by Jacob Skogs | www.jacobskoglund.com (external link), on Flickr

I love street, and environmental portrait photography, and this set is amazing! Great job!

|Gear list// 500PX (external link)// FlickR (external link)// G+ (external link) //Facebook (external link)// Site (external link)|
"I bet you have an idea for a single photo or a photography series or a behind the scenes video that you have been thinking about for literally years. Turn off your computer and your TV and actually do it." -Lee Morris (FStoppers)

laxlife1234
Cream of the Crop
12,432 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 05, 2013 08:18 |  #2429

Simplistic wrote in post #15787303 (external link)
Oh, whoops! I didn't notice you didn't have one, hehe.

Great pix, laxlife!!!!

behindtheglass wrote in post #15793032 (external link)
I love street, and environmental portrait photography, and this set is amazing! Great job!

Thanks to both :)

Ever since I've gotten this lens, its been glued onto my camera and has made taking street photos way more fun.

Zaphs
44 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 05, 2013 11:20 |  #2430

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #15792585 (external link)
When you say "under an angle", do you mean the target was at an angle to the camera, with some numbers closer and some farther away from you, like a ruler? If so, the AF point isn't as small as you may think, and could be trying to hit at a range of distances. Try again with a flat target under all the proper conditions such as bright even light, tripod mounted, etc.

Yeah I basically did the ruler idea :)
Will try as suggested when I have the chance, thanks.

6D, 24-70/4L IS, 50/1.2L, 135/2L :3

sponsored links

4,046,695 views & 2,700 likes for this thread
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.