Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 03:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is this thing called 'quality'?

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 05, 2013 02:01 |  #76

tonylong wrote in post #15792618 (external link)
Well, you were contending with the OP, who was not suggesting that "we tell the truth to strangers and lie to our friends", but asking a question about the scenario...

And yes, there are complications about personal relationships...so?

And I'm still wondering in what scenario do you lie to someone who is a 'friend' and tell the truth to strangers?

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 05, 2013 02:22 |  #77

elrey2375 wrote in post #15792711 (external link)
And I'm still wondering in what scenario do you lie to someone who is a 'friend' and tell the truth to strangers?

Well, that's a fair question, right in line with what the OP asked!

Please discuss, especially if you have people who you are close to you and want to comment on their photos without "hurting their feelings", but at the same time offering constructive criticism, and then, giving "open" critiques to so-called "serious photographers" -- how do you do the "balancing act"?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 05, 2013 02:36 |  #78

tonylong wrote in post #15792729 (external link)
Well, that's a fair question, right in line with what the OP asked!

Please discuss, especially if you have people who you are close to you and want to comment on their photos without "hurting their feelings", but at the same time offering constructive criticism, and then, giving "open" critiques to so-called "serious photographers" -- how do you do the "balancing act"?

I'm not saying you have to tear them a new one but offer constructive criticism. While they may not be a serious or pro photographer, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to take a proper photo and by not telling them anything and saying it's great when it isn't, you're not helping them reach that point.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

ChrisSearle
THREAD ­ STARTER
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Apr 05, 2013 02:52 |  #79

This is moving rather off topic so I'll only comment about what I should say to my friends one further time. Generalisations that may on the surface seem completely reasonable do sound terribly 'grown up'. Unfortunately the real world ( my real world anyway) doesn't work according to sweeping generalisations but rather, carefully thought through responses tailored to the situation and relationships involved. I reserve the absolute right to do what feels 'right' to me at the time, even if, because I am human this may not always be correct. In this specific case there was in my judgement, zero to be gained by disillusioning my friends and much to be gained by using a suitably chosen response.
Only people who have never uttered a 'white lie' are invited to respond lol!

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,707 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is this thing called 'quality'?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.