Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Apr 2013 (Friday) 14:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Variable ND filter question

Spuddyd
799 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 05, 2013 14:39 |  #1

I've been looking at getting a variable ND filter but.....I have 3 lenses with 3 different thread sizes and cant really afford 3 filters

My question is.. Can I just buy a 77mm filter, then use adapter/reducing rings for the other two lenses (67mm and 62mm) or will that not work?

Lenses in question are....(all Sigma)
70-200 f2.8 (77mm)
17-70 f2.8-4 (67mm)
30mm f1.4 (62mm)

I won't use the filter on the 70-200 very often but don't want to rule that out by getting a smaller filter (67mm)

Cheers in advance.

Andy

5DMk4, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-105 f4 L IS, Sigma 35 f1.4 ART, Sigma 50 f1.4 ART, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Sigma 1.4 and 2x converters, Lightroom CC.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits!
flickr (external link), Photobucket (external link), My 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 05, 2013 14:48 |  #2

You can certainly do that. Where you run into problems are with hoods and ultra wide lenses. If you use an oversized filter and then a step ring you likely wont be able to mount your hood over it. Depending on your proposed use this may be no problem or something to consider. With an ultra wide lens, which you didnt mention, you might get vignetting from the lens being pushed farther into the image circle but shouldnt be a problem at 17 on a crop. Have you researched the variable ND's? Some have real issues with patterns on wide shots.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 05, 2013 15:03 |  #3

I have an 82mm ND and CPL that I sometimes use on my 70-200 with a step down ring. Works perfect except that I cant use the hood....

Spuddyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
799 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 05, 2013 15:11 |  #4

gonzogolf wrote in post #15794419 (external link)
You can certainly do that. Where you run into problems are with hoods and ultra wide lenses. If you use an oversized filter and then a step ring you likely wont be able to mount your hood over it. Depending on your proposed use this may be no problem or something to consider. With an ultra wide lens, which you didnt mention, you might get vignetting from the lens being pushed farther into the image circle but shouldnt be a problem at 17 on a crop. Have you researched the variable ND's? Some have real issues with patterns on wide shots.

Thanks for the quick reply. Lens hood use (or the lack of) won't be an issue and I cant see me using it on really wide shots either. Mostly I'll use it to get longer exposure times for street shots in and around London with the two shorter lenses and the 17-70 will get used in the mid portion of its zoom range anyway.

Eventually, the aim is to get a proper square filter system and this is just a short term fix idea until the funds (and the skills) are in place. ;)

5DMk4, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-105 f4 L IS, Sigma 35 f1.4 ART, Sigma 50 f1.4 ART, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Sigma 1.4 and 2x converters, Lightroom CC.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits!
flickr (external link), Photobucket (external link), My 500PX (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 05, 2013 16:07 as a reply to  @ Spuddyd's post |  #5

Are you looking at a Variable ND or just a ND filter? Variable ND's transition from say 3 stops to 0 stops in the filter, in which case a square filter is almost a must. For just a standard ND filter, round is fine, buy big and a few step down rings, then you always know it will work no matter the lens you have.

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 05, 2013 16:19 |  #6

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15794713 (external link)
Are you looking at a Variable ND or just a ND filter? Variable ND's transition from say 3 stops to 0 stops in the filter, in which case a square filter is almost a must. For just a standard ND filter, round is fine, buy big and a few step down rings, then you always know it will work no matter the lens you have.

You're talking about a graduated ND filter.
Variable ND filters you turn and they become more or less opaque.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,169 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2013 16:43 |  #7

Honestly, I'd get one of the cheaper, rectangular filters (Cokin Z, and a 3 stop and 8 or 10 stop filter to go in it. The variables definitely trade off convenience for image quality, in that anywhere under 35mm you can get the strange, cross patterns at higher densities; in which case you've "lost" those higher stops anyway. This combo will easily cost as much or less than one of the good VNDs.

Or, get a 3 and 8 or 10 stop, screw-in plus step rings.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 05, 2013 16:50 |  #8

Simpleboy wrote in post #15794763 (external link)
You're talking about a graduated ND filter.
Variable ND filters you turn and they become more or less opaque.

Yup my bad ... I am still learning all the names for this stuff too lol.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 05, 2013 16:52 |  #9

Snydremark wrote in post #15794862 (external link)
Honestly, I'd get one of the cheaper, rectangular filters (Cokin Z, and a 3 stop and 8 or 10 stop filter to go in it. The variables definitely trade off convenience for image quality, in that anywhere under 35mm you can get the strange, cross patterns at higher densities; in which case you've "lost" those higher stops anyway. This combo will easily cost as much or less than one of the good VNDs.

Or, get a 3 and 8 or 10 stop, screw-in plus step rings.

Check amazon I picked up a cheap filter set with square holder last week. I am using it with some welding glass, but I do plan to give the filters a shot too.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,169 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2013 17:19 |  #10

To give a little bit of background, the first ND filter I bought was one of the Singh Ray Vari-ND and used it with moderate success for a year or so. Then I started dabbling with more than the very occasional usage of the filter and ran headlong into the problems these have at wider focal lengths (35mm and wider on my 7D). From there, I went straight to the Lee filters after some research and that's been a much more satisfactory solution. Lee's, of course, are both expensive and difficult to get; so, if you're just getting your toes wet, that's why I'd recommend the Cokins or just a couple of screw-ins.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

1,537 views & 0 likes for this thread
Variable ND filter question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.