Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Future of DSLRs - hybrid viewfinder?

LostArk
THREAD ­ STARTER
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 04, 2013 22:18 |  #16

I WAS RIGHT (external link)

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

sponsored links
Audionut11
112 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 04, 2013 23:46 |  #17

fotocrack wrote in post #15365019 (external link)
The feature I wished the 5D3 had is the ability to see the histogram in the ViewFinder.

I would absolutely love this.

I'm sure plenty of other people who aren't ninja exposure experts would too!

nwlight
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 05, 2013 19:54 |  #18

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15367590 (external link)
I don't see why it should be 'costly'. The 7D, 5D3 and 1DX all have active matrix, transmissive LCDs in the OVFs. If focus points can be 'overlaid', why not histograms and other data too?

Agreed, although blinking a few focus points is probably a lot simpler than showing a histogram that consists of lots of little dots that change every few seconds.

Also, I don't think the cost and complexity is necessarily in the display. It's in how to gather the information. Normally, the mirror directs all light to the view finder for you to see. Then it flips down to take the shot. In Live View, all of the light goes to the sensor to show the Live View information. To show both requires the light path to be split, some to the viewfinder and some to the sensor. Obviously, Sony has done it, but that doesn't mean it's easy or that there aren't trade offs.

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 05, 2013 20:45 |  #19

EVF could be the way to go, but for me, for very different reasons than above:
Speed: I would assume that with that no mirror, higher burst rates may be possible
Quietness: Sometimes when shoot my kids concerts, I should in liveview simply because of the
noise of the mirror flip
Steadiness: for macros, or extreme steady conditions, there no need for "mirror lockup" :)
Custom screens: when doing 8x10 portraits, you wouldn't have to guess at the 8x10 cropping. I'm
someone could create a custom screen app (it's all now just software)
View video thru the viewfinder - remember the old camcorders? Ever use liveview outside?
My 2 cents.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,866 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 05, 2013 21:07 |  #20

The most recent EVF I have looked through is on the Nikon 1 V1, and it is just as aweful as the one that was on my ancient 2MP Olympus C2100 UZ.

Yuck.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 05, 2013 21:18 |  #21

Before the 10D came out, I had an old Canon Pro90 (non DSLR).

http://www.dpreview.co​m …0/images/allrou​ndview.jpg (external link)

Besides having an articulating rear LCD panel, it also had a traditional SLR style eyepiece with a diopter adjustment. Rather than having a frosted glass focus screen, it had a mini LCD screen instead. So it can be done. I guess advancements in LCD technology could result in a better mirror-less camera with a proper eyepiece..

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 05, 2013 21:48 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #22

I don't know. Maybe look through the OVF and focus on composition? Exposure is easily determined with the meter at the bottom. WB is for post, not for shooting in my experience. That is much easier to fix than lousy composition.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 05, 2013 22:55 |  #23

A hybrid viewfinder would be fantastic and I would love all of its benefits as long as the lag times are very short.

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

speedync
Goldmember
1,532 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 05, 2013 22:57 |  #24

LostArk wrote in post #15792249 (external link)
I WAS RIGHT (external link)

If I'm reading that correctly, which is a wee bit hard to understand due to the translation, using that system it sounds like when the mirror is up, you get to see what you normally would in live view through the viewfinder. And be able to zoom in to check/adjust focus, check an electronic level and view exposure, WB etc etc. When the mirror is down, you get a normal OVF, and also get to see AF points as well as a histogram and other details/information. That sounds absolutely brilliant to me.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 05, 2013 23:22 |  #25

the only thing I want makers to put back in the viewfinder is a manual focus guide.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 06, 2013 07:41 |  #26

I've got nothing against electronic viewfinders in principle, but I've yet to see one I like. Of course this will change as designs improve.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
Future of DSLRs - hybrid viewfinder?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.