Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 05, 2013 08:39 |  #676

Phoenixkh wrote in post #15793175 (external link)
The membrane connector works very well with the RC2 plate. I wonder if it will still be available.

Based on post #662, I would assume it will still be available.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 05, 2013 18:32 |  #677

Looks good! Sort-of going to miss seeing the machined metal version.
Even though i'm a plastics engineer, nothing is finer than a machined surface. :)

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2013 18:36 |  #678

I've been waiting to pick up one of these as an alternative to my BlackRapid since I picked up a second body! It looks really amazing and I cannot wait for it to come out!

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 05, 2013 21:50 |  #679

Excited to see what everyone thinks of the MKII. The Cinch is by far the best camera purchase I have ever made. If I knew how awesome it was going to be, I would have probably paid twice what I did. I rented a 70-200 2.8 last weekend and carrying that thing around would have been awful on my old strap.

Someone said something about upgrading from the MKI to the MKII, any idea about if this is true? If so, I will be anxiously awaiting ordering that kit.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 05, 2013 21:55 |  #680

MattPharmD wrote in post #15795834 (external link)
Excited to see what everyone thinks of the MKII. The Cinch is by far the best camera purchase I have ever made. If I knew how awesome it was going to be, I would have probably paid twice what I did. I rented a 70-200 2.8 last weekend and carrying that thing around would have been awful on my old strap.

Someone said something about upgrading from the MKI to the MKII, any idea about if this is true? If so, I will be anxiously awaiting ordering that kit.

Read below:

gakoenig wrote in post #15622570 (external link)
How's that "upgrade" feature going to work? We provide our cinch mk1 order#, and we get a discount on a mk2 order? Or more along the lines of sending the old cinch back to get a credit on a mk2? Guessing the former, though some companies (such as Wimberley) have instituted their own buyback programs on older models.

The most significant technical change with the MkII is the replacement of the CinchMount with the Luma ARCA plate and the availability of our optional Luma Secure Link system. With those two components, MkI owners have, with the exception of the modular construction, all the benefits of a fully optioned Mk II.

With the upgrade kit, we are essentially giving MkI owners every advancement we can short of having you return your Mk I Cinch and having us remanufacture it. We simply do not have the horsepower to perform that scale of operation with the level of quality and customer care that we would expect as customers ourselves.

gakoenig wrote:
I've been super busy and not much to report for a while, so I'll provide you all sort of the definitive update... right now!

The tooling for the MkII is being cut, validated and tuned right now. Quick introduction/preview video will be posted by Duncan next week from his final shakedown testing shooting a somewhat famous, week-long media event in Long Beach, CA. Final beta units with 3D printed hardware are inbound to some of our trusted testers right now.

I'll give you all a quick rundown of what to expect:

- Every Cinch will ship with our new composite ARCA plate with dual mounts.
- Dual, low profile, composite sliding adjusters front and back. The MkII is totally symmetrical now.
- Totally modular construction. Swap different size webbing. Change the hardware. Flip the shoulder pad (grippy on one side, smooth on the other). The MkII is future-prof.
- Ships with composite hardware, CNC machined aluminum hardware is now an option.
- Will ship *immediately* upon order, entirely new production process and materials are far more efficient. One of the biggest goals with the MkII is to keep the damn thing in stock so you can get one when you want it!

Also, our QR system, Luma Secure Links:

- 3mm wire oval links, made in France for Luma, hold over 550lb.
- Total security; absolutely no accidental release.
- Smoothly machined with no sharps or scratchy edges
- Multiple mounting options:
Dual mount on the Luma Plate (included)
Luma triangular split key for lugs and most brackets (included)
3/8" Web adapter for inset brackets (optional)
New CinchMount for lens feet or low profile body mounting (optional)
- Available as simple adaptors to the Cinch or sewn into the MkII's modular webbing.

The Luma Secure Link system is quite neat. It is not the fastest Quick Release system available; instead, we developed the system around these very compact, totally reliable quick links that balance speed and security. Honestly, I looked at what the most paranoid users on the camera forums were running and decided the goal would be to create a system that even they would be happy to run without worry. We did it.

We are also quite proud of the Luma ARCA plate. We see this big gap in the market for universal ARCA plates between the Really Right Stuff, Kirk and others at the $50 price point, and the super cheap eBay Chinese plates for ~$10. With the Luma plate, your getting something that has the same tensile strength of aluminum, weighs less, is actually more durable and offers strap/link mounts both right and left. And it's made right here in Portland, OR. We will be selling the plate as a standalone part for folks who want to significantly upgrade the comfort of their factory or aftermarket neck straps.

Just before the MkII launches, we will be offering an upgrade special for MkI owners that will include a set of Secure Links and the ARCA plate. Watch our twitter/FB/website (and I am sure someone will post about it here).

And for those of you worried we will be going out of stock, don't. MkII shoulder pads and webbing are already in production as we finalize the injection mold tools. We will be launching with units on hand, ready to ship.

This has been a long process with lots of delays. These were conscious decisions on our part with the goal of bringing the Cinch back to the market with a lot of new features, adaptability and options. This is the kind of product that will give you a lifetime of fantastic service; the couple of months of delays will be forgotten when you are out in the field, capturing fantastic frames!

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

i-G12
Wat?
2,202 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 06, 2013 07:08 |  #681

- Available as simple adaptors to the Cinch or sewn into the MkII's modular webbing.

I want this immediately.

IMAGE: http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/s_waiting_6.gif?w=35

How about an estimated ETA?

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 06, 2013 08:10 |  #682

gakoenig wrote in post #15785361 (external link)
Nope.

We will be offering a CNC machined RC2 plate with dual side split key lugs that you can tie into with either the 3/8" webbing straps or Luma Secure Links (our QR system).

QUOTED IMAGE

i-G12 wrote in post #15796631 (external link)
I want this immediately.

QUOTED IMAGE

How about an estimated ETA?

ETA on both items for me.

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 06, 2013 09:49 |  #683

ETA on both items for me.

The injection mold for the plate is being tweaked now. Specifically, it is getting massaged a little bit to get complete clamping power in RRS's non-adjustable lever clamps. All other testing on it has been completed, so once we confirm lockup in the RRS clamp, we will do a soft-launch for the folks who have been patiently waiting, so you all don't need to wait for our full marketing onslaught of videos, copy and pretty pictures to be completed.

The toolmaker said "A few days" on Wednesday. These guys are more artists than engineers, so I'm not going to ride his butt with constant pestering. When the tool is ready, production flow is basically instant. The Secure Links and ARCA plate are the two major components of the QR system; they will be launched at the same time.

Join the mailing list at http://lu.ma (external link), hit us on the Twitter (@lumalabs) or use the book of Faces if you are so inclined.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

MickeyCT
145 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 06, 2013 10:27 |  #684

How do we get one of these straps as part of the "soft launch"? I'm sure many folks have been patiently following this thread even though we only contribute when we have something new to say. :)

P.S. I think I probably have signed up on your mailing list several times already over the years. I just want to make sure I get the notification!

Switching to Olympus OM-D mirrorless system

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 06, 2013 11:33 |  #685

It depends on how many postings you have in this thread :lol:.

MickeyCT wrote in post #15797020 (external link)
How do we get one of these straps as part of the "soft launch"? I'm sure many folks have been patiently following this thread even though we only contribute when we have something new to say. :)

P.S. I think I probably have signed up on your mailing list several times already over the years. I just want to make sure I get the notification!

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

MickeyCT
145 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 06, 2013 11:41 |  #686

I have a few but like I said, I've only been posting when I had something to add to the discussion. Since I love my original Cinch, I can't wait to try the new version, so I'm one of the patiently waiting. :lol:

Switching to Olympus OM-D mirrorless system

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 06, 2013 11:57 |  #687

Are we there yet?

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
2,202 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 06, 2013 11:59 |  #688

MickeyCT wrote in post #15797253 (external link)
I have a few

Don't think that's gonna cut it bro. :p :mrgreen:

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,778 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 06, 2013 12:00 |  #689

As a local fella, hopefully I can pick one of the first batch in person, Greg! ;)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 06, 2013 12:08 |  #690

I wouldn't worry about missing the soft launch. It won't be a big secret or anything and even if your spam filter snags the email, or you miss the FB and twitter posts, I am sure people will post the URL on various forums.

The only reason we are doing the soft launch is because we have hundreds of people stacked up to buy Cinches who have been waiting forever. At this point, the angry and accusatory emails have started coming in (one guy wrote in, accusing us of sitting on a stockpile of Cinches... I've yet to figure out the logic by which he seems to think we don't enjoy having paychecks). We see no need to make them wait while we make all the marketing collateral.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

sponsored links

295,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.