Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 02:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rapid camera straps

Dobbin
63 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 06, 2013 02:18 |  #1

Has anyone got oe of these after market designed straps? http://www.ebay.co.uk …_trksid=p3984.m​1438.l2649 (external link)
If so was it any good? I like the idea of this just not sure about the price and at the moment don't know if I would like this style so can't justify the price for a sun sniper or black rapid. Currently using a hand grip as I was fed up getting entagled with the traditional strap. Thanks in advance for any comments

It's not what you do, it's how you present it!

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 06, 2013 03:21 |  #2

I have a Luma Cinch, which is the same style, but IMO better (I've tried a Blackrapid before, was not impressed.) Unfortunately they are in the process of making a new version, so the Cinch is OOS. And its probably more than you would like to pay anyway, since you don't know if you like the style.

I really like the sling style; the weight of the camera is much better distributed across your shoulder than across your neck, and it doesn't bounce around when you walk (this is with the Cinch, the Blackrapid still moves around too much for my liking due to the single point attachment on a sliding ring.)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 06, 2013 07:45 |  #3

I use a black rapid and it's a fantastic strap, personally I would not hang £3.5K worth of camera on a Chinese knock off costing less than a fiver but that's just me.

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 06, 2013 13:40 as a reply to  @ pauly916's post |  #4

I recently purchased a BlackRapid RS-Sport slim, and I completely concur with the above post.:cool:

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

Lincolnshire ­ Poacher
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 06, 2013 13:51 |  #5

Black Rapid RS Sports is THE strap IMHO. It totally transformed my camera handling.

Darvoid
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 06, 2013 13:58 |  #6

I use the Black Rapid Sport and Love it. I bought the FR-T1 fastener screw to attach to my manfrotto plate so that switching from strap to tripod is fast and simple.

Canon 7D Gripped, 40D Gripped, 70-200 f/4L IS, Macro 100 f/2.8L IS, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 06, 2013 14:15 |  #7

Dobbin wrote in post #15796342 (external link)
Has anyone got oe of these after market designed straps? http://www.ebay.co.uk …_trksid=p3984.m​1438.l2649 (external link)
If so was it any good? I like the idea of this just not sure about the price and at the moment don't know if I would like this style so can't justify the price for a sun sniper or black rapid. Currently using a hand grip as I was fed up getting entagled with the traditional strap. Thanks in advance for any comments

Like yourself, I wasn't sure if it would be something I would use, so I bought one of the knock-offs as a test, and subsequently found that I liked it. There is no problem with the build quality, and I also like the way it fastens to the camera; rather than a stud going into the middle of the camera, it is a steel "L" that offsets the weight to one side of the camera. This means that the camera always hangs so that my hand naturally falls on the grip side; the camera never swivels from back to front. I've never tried a Black Rapid strap, but it seems to me that with the pivot point in the middle of the camera it could move. Just looking at the BR straps in the store, there is no apparent difference in quality in the D-ring assembly.

This is the one I bought. Although some of the images are the same as on the link that you provided,others show the difference in the base plate design.

http://www.aliexpress.​com …e-shipping/668225436.htm​l (external link)

Dale

sneakerpimp
665 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 06, 2013 14:25 |  #8

Spats139 wrote in post #15797622 (external link)
Like yourself, I wasn't sure if it would be something I would use, so I bought one of the knock-offs as a test, and subsequently found that I liked it. There is no problem with the build quality, and I also like the way it fastens to the camera; rather than a stud going into the middle of the camera, it is a steel "L" that offsets the weight to one side of the camera. This means that the camera always hangs so that my hand naturally falls on the grip side; the camera never swivels from back to front. I've never tried a Black Rapid strap, but it seems to me that with the pivot point in the middle of the camera it could move. Just looking at the BR straps in the store, there is no apparent difference in quality in the D-ring assembly.

This is the one I bought. Although some of the images are the same as on the link that you provided,others show the difference in the base plate design.

http://www.aliexpress.​com …e-shipping/668225436.htm​l (external link)

... +1

Canon EOS M | G7 X | S90

phatrick
181 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 06, 2013 15:10 |  #9

Considering the cost of OE straps are about $25+, I would say $50 for a blackrapid is worth the cost. If you check it out in person and really feel the construction, you can definitely agree.

5D Mark II | Tokina 10-17mm | 24-70L | 35Σ | 50L | 85L | 135L

Dobbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 07, 2013 05:03 as a reply to  @ phatrick's post |  #10

Guys, thanks for the comments. I've ordered one so when it arrives I'll keep you updated. You never know we might be pleasantly surprised

It's not what you do, it's how you present it!

Condotierri
58 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 07, 2013 21:31 |  #11

Knock-off route for me. The manufacturer's name is "Quick". I use tripods a lot and didn't like taking off the quick release plate so I attached a Manfrotto adapter to the plate that comes with the strap.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8630438338_29a7b08c23.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/condotierri/8​630438338/  (external link)
Manfrotto Strap (external link) by Where the other stuff goes (external link), on Flickr

I've thought about keeping the L-plate and replacing the strap and carabiner with a Black Rapid. But the cost didn't outweigh the piece of mind for me. I don't worry about attaching any of my gear to the knock-off version.

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickr (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 08, 2013 12:32 |  #12

I got the RS-7 in December. Based on issues that I've heard about here on the forum, I had plans to put measures in place so I didn't have the same issues (e.g. camera falling off carabiner). I have yet to do any of these things yet and have also yet to have any issues... That said, if I were looking for a strap today, I'd probably buy the RS-7 again (but I haven't tried any others either).

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sneakerpimp
665 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 08, 2013 12:57 as a reply to  @ drvnbysound's post |  #13

i use the original with a knock off connector… zero issues.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Canon EOS M | G7 X | S90

sjwolfhope
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 08, 2013 16:03 as a reply to  @ sneakerpimp's post |  #14

I had the knock off Quick Rapid strap for about a year and found it be of very good quality. No concerns about it breaking and having the camera damaged. But a few months ago I read a lot of good comments on POTN forums about the Op Tech Utility Strap. Bought one and really like it. Has replaced the Quick Rapid for me. Not as big and bulky as the Black/Quick Rapids and works smoothly.

Steve W.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,508 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 08, 2013 16:13 |  #15

As far as general straps go, I always liked my BR straps; however, having moved over and started using the Capture Clip system, their strap works well with the rest of their gear and allows me to easily move to/from a tripod without having to unscrew stuff.

The huge plus, to me, of the Capture system and their "Leash" strap is that you can connect both the camera body AND lens (when shooting longer lenses with tripod collars) so that not matter what, neither one can come loose. I have had issues with other straps, in the past, where they positioned the camera so that the release button for the lens could get depressed inadvertently and the lens come loose while walking.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

4,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rapid camera straps
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.