Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Apr 2013 (Friday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RebelXT IR conversion

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 05, 2013 21:26 |  #1

I have a RebelXT thats in good condition, but I dont use it since I now own 3 5Diiis. I was toying with the idea of getting an IR conversion done to it.

Idont think Im up for doing this DIY. Who are the best to send it to?

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 05, 2013 21:30 |  #2

The ones I am familiar with are Lifepixel and MaxMax.
Both have been around doing this since at least the 20D era maybe going back even further.
Lifepixels prices seem a lot better these days, and there website is easier to navigate.

I've got a converted D60 (not 60D, much much older 6MP camera older than 10D) that was done by a guy that used to do them himself, but he no longer does.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,073 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 06, 2013 02:54 |  #3

have you considered getting one of the 5D3's converted? liveview & lens microfocus adjust would be great in an IR cam...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

KhanhD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 06, 2013 03:07 |  #4

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15795785 (external link)
The ones I am familiar with are Lifepixel and MaxMax.
Both have been around doing this since at least the 20D era maybe going back even further.
Lifepixels prices seem a lot better these days, and there website is easier to navigate.

I've got a converted D60 (not 60D, much much older 6MP camera older than 10D) that was done by a guy that used to do them himself, but he no longer does.

I came across Lifepixel in my research, just wasnt sure of their credibility.

joeseph wrote in post #15796386 (external link)
have you considered getting one of the 5D3's converted? liveview & lens microfocus adjust would be great in an IR cam...

Will never happen. Only reason Im considering doing an IR conversion is the XT is currently a paperweight.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,137 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 06, 2013 09:48 |  #5

http://www.kolarivisio​n.com/index.html (external link)

This site is worth exploring. You can see the effect of various filter wavelengths on images. The company can also do your mod or provide a mod sensor if you have DIY inclinations.

$225 for the XT and if you send it with a lens they adjust the focus at N/C.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 06, 2013 09:52 |  #6

joeseph wrote in post #15796386 (external link)

Lens microadjust is useless since you can't use the regular AF system. Liveview on the other hand is essential. :cool:

If the XT doesn't have liveview, then it would be best to have the camera calibrated to a specific lens, or hope that the IR markings on the lenses are accurate.

I used LifePixel for my 550D and have been happy with it. Their price was reasonable and their turn around was relatively quick.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 06, 2013 09:54 |  #7

KhanhD wrote in post #15796403 (external link)
I came across Lifepixel in my research, just wasnt sure of their credibility.

Will never happen. Only reason Im considering doing an IR conversion is the XT is currently a paperweight.

I have a Rebel XT converted to standard IR by Lifepixel. I bought it already converted, however it is working fine. I would second Lifepixel.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Rick_G
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 06, 2013 14:40 as a reply to  @ Billginthekeys's post |  #8

I had Lifepixel convert an XT to IR about 4 years ago. It was a good choice for conversion since the XT was just sitting around not getting used otherwise.

Rick

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 06, 2013 18:43 |  #9

An IR conversion also makes it a much better astrophotography camera, since the IR filter also blocks a significant portion of the deep reds (Hydrogen-alpha, mostly) that many nebulae emit.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 07, 2013 02:49 |  #10

I used Kolarivision and they did an excellent job with my XTi. Quick turn-around time, too. Since they don't charge for return shipping, they come out much cheaper than Lifepixel.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,073 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 07, 2013 03:02 |  #11

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15796936 (external link)
Lens microadjust is useless since you can't use the regular AF system.

you can't? :confused:

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Apr 07, 2013 15:00 |  #12

Re:IR conversion advice

joeseph wrote in post #15799266 (external link)
Lens microadjust is useless since you can't use the regular AF system.
you can't? :confused:

When sending in a body for IR conversion, say to Lifepixel, you can also send in a lens for AF calibration for that lens/body combination. Remember that IR wavelengths will in general, focus at a slightly different position than visible wavelengths. The magnitude of this effect varies quite a lot based upon lens design and zoom position. Older lenses may have red marks on their distance scales to indicate the magnitude of this effect at infinity. For most lenses, Microadjust is far too small an adjustment to account for this shift, which is distance dependent. In any case the best approach is with magnified live View, Manual focus. Then lens calibration is a non issue. Also I have found Live View to be a big help with IR composition, as one can see the "color tones" picked up by your sensor. A good LV display is a big help for IR.

Another feature I have found important is an RGB Live View display. In IR the red channel gets much more signal than the green or blue, and if you only have a luminance display you will constantly clip the red channel and will be blind as to how close you are to clipping the red channel by changing the exposure.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

sponsored links

1,518 views & 0 likes for this thread
RebelXT IR conversion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.