Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 22 Mar 2013 (Friday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OCF Placement at Wedding Reception

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 07, 2013 20:34 |  #46

opps sorry had them in a locked gallery, these should work

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 07, 2013 20:39 |  #47

The shadows are a bit harsh. Look like you are directly pointing them and not bouncing.
AB's are just to cumbersome to drag around.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 07, 2013 20:48 |  #48

I have the flash pointed straight up with a bounce card and 2 Ab800's i couldnt bounce of the ceiling so i had them pointed straight at the dance floor like a lot of people have been saying to do.

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 07, 2013 21:00 |  #49

It looks easy enough to bounce off that tent ceiling, it looks white ish. If you're shooting direct either height or diffusion through an umbrella helps a lot, or both. Umbrellas are pretty ugly at a wedding though. Bouncing of walls can work. I bounce off dark wood sometimes, if I have enough power available. At an outdoor reception recently I bounced my flash off some guys white shirt, probably blinded the poor guy but it worked.

The hard line of light along the grooms head isn't ideal.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 07, 2013 21:15 |  #50

The venue was actually outside under a tent. So my strobes were on the low end of the tent.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2013 21:19 |  #51

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15791133 (external link)
I've yet to be in a room that was completely flat with absolutely nothing to either set the Justin Clamps on or clamp them to. I often use DJ speakers or DJ Lights.

I shoot most of my reception stuff between 640-1250 depending on the ambient. I can't see any reason to hit 8000 when I can light it.

Here you go Thomas. This is the venue I mentioned. I shot this a couple years ago. There isn't a single place in the entire room to clamp a light. Unfortunately, since I shot these pics, they have since painted the walls a light brown but I still bounce my light off the walls.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …and%20noah/cris​sy-214.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …and%20noah/cris​sy-190.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 504 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 07, 2013 21:20 |  #52

unlimited6986 wrote in post #15801830 (external link)
The venue was actually outside under a tent. So my strobes were on the low end of the tent.

Do you have a pull back shot?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 07, 2013 22:22 |  #53

Jim, I bet there is something on those windows I could get a speedlight on. You also have some sort of tree-like thing in the corner. Kinda hard to make out, but I also see a metal thing next to it. :D

Unlimited, those Shadows are harsh. I try bounce for key and use OCF for rim. Just a preference. You just have to be very careful about your angles and power.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 08, 2013 06:43 |  #54

I don't have a pull back shot. I think I had the strobes to powerful And my on camera flash should of had more power.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2013 06:58 |  #55

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15802052 (external link)
Jim, I bet there is something on those windows I could get a speedlight on. You also have some sort of tree-like thing in the corner. Kinda hard to make out, but I also see a metal thing next to it. :D

Unlimited, those Shadows are harsh. I try bounce for key and use OCF for rim. Just a preference. You just have to be very careful about your angles and power.

There is nothing to clamp to on the windows as they are flush. Also the "tree" is pretty flimsy, the metal thing is an arbor behind the cake. Besides, that location would not be desirable for bouncing as its too low. Believe me, light stands are the only way to go in this venue.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 07:53 |  #56

jcolman wrote in post #15802782 (external link)
There is nothing to clamp to on the windows as they are flush. Also the "tree" is pretty flimsy, the metal thing is an arbor behind the cake. Besides, that location would not be desirable for bouncing as its too low. Believe me, light stands are the only way to go in this venue.

No DJ or band?

Current Gear List

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2013 11:46 |  #57

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15802902 (external link)
No DJ or band?

The DJ is in a far corner, behind me, that is recessed. Not the optimal spot for a light.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 08, 2013 12:20 |  #58

Question to those who use Justin Clamp, do you bring along a tall ladder to everyone wedding? or you just stand on chair/table to set it up to get to the same high as light stand?

Edited.... Thanks Tim!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 08, 2013 23:59 |  #59

Tigerkn wrote in post #15803823 (external link)
Question to those who use JC, do you bring along a tall latter to everyone wedding? or you just stand on chair/table to set it up to get to the same high as light stand?

I think you need to proof read that post.

JC - Jesus Christ?
latter - ladder?

I take a ladder to wedding, but only for the group photos. I've never needed to be the same height as the top of my light stands.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2013 08:11 |  #60

tim wrote in post #15806408 (external link)
I think you need to proof read that post.

JC - Jesus Christ?
latter - ladder?

I take a ladder to wedding, but only for the group photos. I've never needed to be the same height as the top of my light stands.

He is asking for people that use JUSTIN CLAMPS. Pretty obvious from context in the thread.

A ladder is a great thing to have to get room overviews and details. Many venues have them handy as well.

Current Gear List

sponsored links

9,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
OCF Placement at Wedding Reception
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.