Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Apr 2013 (Monday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A question on furniture for an Interiors shoot

jcp1976
54 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 08, 2013 14:14 |  #1

I'm working with a property management company and I'm going to shoot the interiors of a few of their apartment units.

My contact sent me these pictures he took of the furniture that would be placed in the units I'd be shooting:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/iuvSPu6.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/hN6eGDJ.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/6M3vcU8.jpg

He sent me the above pictures to show me the space id be shooting and the furniture he wants in the interiors.

So my question:
I think the furniture looks pretty bad and degrades the look of the apartment. they make the units look like a cheap motel. do you guys think it'd be better to shoot the apartment units without any furniture at all? Or do you think I should probably include the furniture they put in there.

Photographer based in Ann Arbor, serving the greater southeast Michigan area.
Portraits & Commercial

sponsored links
karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 08, 2013 14:18 |  #2

Depends on what the client's needs are. Here in Alaska you cannot miss represent in photos when selling things so is the furniture what they get or just there because it is there now? If it is what they get then it is your responsibility to make it look as good as you can...IMO.

If it isn't part of the deal....you have decide if it displays the size of the room .... etc... or is it taking away from the shot.... IMO

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2013 14:19 |  #3

I cant imagine the client would accept images without furniture. Spaces look much larger empty, but potential clients want to see the space as it would be populated.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 08, 2013 16:04 |  #4

Furnish the apartments with little tiny salesman's samples so the place looks enormous.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jcp1976
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 08, 2013 16:32 |  #5

karobinson wrote in post #15804269 (external link)
Depends on what the client's needs are. Here in Alaska you cannot miss represent in photos when selling things so is the furniture what they get or just there because it is there now? If it is what they get then it is your responsibility to make it look as good as you can...IMO.

If it isn't part of the deal....you have decide if it displays the size of the room .... etc... or is it taking away from the shot.... IMO

no the rooms arn't furnished. I'd usually want furniture but the ones they're providing arnt very nice

nathancarter wrote in post #15804678 (external link)
Furnish the apartments with little tiny salesman's samples so the place looks enormous.

hah, we've got a winnar!

Photographer based in Ann Arbor, serving the greater southeast Michigan area.
Portraits & Commercial

Rankinia
449 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2013 16:35 |  #6

Your aim should be to shoot what your client wants. If they want to sell the apartment with crappy furniture, its there choice. Your selling photos not apartments.

1ds, 30d, 17-40/4 180/3.5, mt-24, 580ex2
http://adamrose.wordpr​ess.com (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2013 16:36 |  #7

A bit of staging might help things too. A table cloth, some decent pillow shams and a bit of other touches and crap furniture seems a bit less obvious.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 08, 2013 17:52 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #8

Bring some flowers. :lol:

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links

794 views & 0 likes for this thread
A question on furniture for an Interiors shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.