Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 11:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Year long backpacking trip - advice!

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 08, 2013 14:25 |  #16

id go for 24-105 and take the 50 with me fork over the extra cash for an upgrade to the slightly better 50 1.4. I would recommend tenba messenger wraps to give some protection and keep it in the top of your backpack, but then also store it inside a roll top dry bag this will keep it as light as possible and keep it water/dust tight when in your pack!

sponsored links
pmack
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 13, 2013 06:15 |  #17

I did the exact same as you but starting in s.e. asia (east timor), and overlanded t europe where i currently am.
I def overdid the gear thing.
I have with me a 5DII, 7D
17-40
70-200IS f/4
50mm f/1.4 (this was lost or stolen)
430exii flash (silly taking this, rarely use it)
1.4x extender (pointless taking this, also rarely used it)

I have a website I post for each country, though i'm about 25 countries behind!
(last post was China, but ive almost finished my time in europe!)
http://capturedabroad.​com/ (external link)

More recent pics though up on this page if you're interested
https://www.facebook.c​om/CapturedAbroad (external link)

If i was to change my gear, i would just take the 5D, the wide and the zoom lens.
I'm also carrying around a 13"x220 laptop. it's almost 8kg in a packpack, so a big pain to carry though i've managed to hitchike on the back of cement trucks in monsoon rain, be crammed like sardines in overcrowded indonesian buses. My limit for walking with it all when moving between places is around 5km, then legs just become dead tired. But when taking pics i usulaly just carry the camera with one lens. Less is more. Oh it was usefull taking two bodies at one stage though, as the 5DII broke for around 3 days due to water damage during taking this photo: https://www.facebook.c​om …3240999538&type​=1&theater (external link) almost exactly one year to date

good luck whatever your choice, you'll have an awesome time
feel free to ask any questions about where i went etc

Captured Abroad - Travel Photography Blog - Images from an overland journey (external link)
Captured Abroad - Facebook page - "like" for highlights from my blog (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 26, 2013 06:48 |  #18

IMHO you're set.

I would take either the 50 or the 85, but not both because they're way too close. If I wanted a tele, I'd go with 100/2. But myself, I'd go with 50 and 28. Dump the tele. You'll never use it.

EDIT: Actually, if it was me, I'd get a sony nex with that normal lens of theirs and only carry that.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 26, 2013 06:52 |  #19

yogestee wrote in post #15686863 (external link)
Yeah,, you'll need a pair of these when in Australia. The Australian national footwear.

That strap that goes between the thumbs can kill your foot in a day if you keep walking on uneven terrain with a backpack.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,581 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 29, 2013 10:30 |  #20

SpeedyGoo wrote in post #15804304 (external link)
id go for 24-105 and take the 50 with me fork over the extra cash for an upgrade to the slightly better 50 1.4. I would recommend tenba messenger wraps to give some protection and keep it in the top of your backpack, but then also store it inside a roll top dry bag this will keep it as light as possible and keep it water/dust tight when in your pack!

I have no input on bags, but I'd go for the 24-105 and 50 f/1.4 like suggested above.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 29, 2013 10:37 |  #21

02wrx wrote in post #15683671 (external link)
Hi all,
I will soon be embarking on a year-long trip around the world - starting in Europe and heading south/east towards Australia/New Zealand.

I currently own 3 prime lenses (28 f/1.8, 50 f/1,8, 85 f/1.8) and am considering selling them to get an L lens (24-70 or 24-105). Recently purchased 5Dmkii. Is it too much hassle to carry 3 primes?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

28/50/90 is a classic trio. You're pretty close to that. I'd stick with what you've got.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

3,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
Year long backpacking trip - advice!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.