Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 23:25 |  #856

whmeltonjr wrote in post #15806294 (external link)
I feel like I need to wait for this. I love my Cinch, but I also love my L bracket. I had planned on ordering the links, but now I'm thinking I should wait and see what is to come since I've gotten used to storing the camera in the bag with the strap attached.

I can see how that might stop someone from upgrading from a Cinch v1 to a v2--but lets assume 1st-time customers here, who use L-brackets. They can still remove the plate and use the v2 as a v1--and still have a spare arca-plate to stick on some other device. Pretty much win/win for $60 shipped.

My Gearlist

sponsored links
Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 08, 2013 23:26 |  #857

I guess I will sell my luma loop and cinch1.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 08, 2013 23:48 |  #858

I feel like I need to wait for this. I love my Cinch, but I also love my L bracket. I had planned on ordering the links, but now I'm thinking I should wait and see what is to come since I've gotten used to storing the camera in the bag with the strap attached.

One thing to know, if it hasn't been explicitly stated yet; the Cinch 2 is futureproof.

Everything in the pipeline here at Luma. Every idea muddling around my thick skull. Every improvement that our user base suggests... Everything about the Cinch from now on will work across the board with every other Cinch.

It is a system, and the system is designed to be 100% backwards compatible going forward.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 08, 2013 23:48 |  #859

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15806326 (external link)
I can see how that might stop someone from upgrading from a Cinch v1 to a v2--but lets assume 1st-time customers here, who use L-brackets. They can still remove the plate and use the v2 as a v1--and still have a spare arca-plate to stick on some other device. Pretty much win/win for $60 shipped.

I agree. The more I look at my Cinch v1, the more I like it. I'm not sure I need to get the v2 or even the upgrade kit just yet. However, for a new buyer, this is a no-brainer. Cinch v2 is a great product at a great price.

I am interested in those split loops though and I wasn't kidding when I asked about them earlier. I'm using my battery grip less these days and am simply using my Cinch v1 attached to the traditional points on my camera. Makes it easier to remove and install the battery grip. I'd love to see the split loops as an alternative to those hard plastic thingies I'm currently using.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

k1msta
426 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 09, 2013 00:15 |  #860

Dj R wrote in post #15806327 (external link)
I guess I will sell my luma loop and cinch1.

let me know i might be interested

5D ìì • M • 22 • 24L ìì • 50L • 85L ìì • 24-70L ìì • 70-200L ìì • 580ex ìì
Flickr (external link) ++GEARS / FEEDBACK
++

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 09, 2013 00:30 |  #861

Cool! Just pulled the trigger on the Cinch 2! $5 shipping across town to Beaverton OR :) ... I can handle that. I am order # 8390 - for Greg's sake, I hope that started at #001 this morning and for my sake, I hope it didn't.. :lol:

BTW Greg, what is the recommended attachment scheme for a heavy lens like the 100-400? One end to the ARCA plate on the camera and the other to the tripod foot on the lens?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2013 00:38 |  #862

8386 here, an hour before you ;p

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2013 00:39 |  #863

k1msta wrote in post #15806439 (external link)
let me know i might be interested

Loop just sold. Cinch will be needed for 3 wks or so ;)

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2013 00:39 |  #864

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15806466 (external link)
Cool! Just pulled the trigger on the Cinch 2! $5 shipping across town to Beaverton OR :) ... I can handle that. I am order # 8390 - for Greg's sake, I hope that started at #001 this morning and for my sake, I hope it didn't.. :lol:

BTW Greg, what is the recommended attachment scheme for a heavy lens like the 100-400? One end to the ARCA plate on the camera and the other to the tripod foot on the lens?

Err, 100-400 is considered heavy? Generally speaking, the camera doesn't flop around when using a cinch, so I'm betting the 100-400 wouldn't bounce around much either way. I just hope the new straps sag less (than the original Cinch) under heavy loads... ie above 10 pounds. Fully loaded for birding (100-400, 1d3, 580exII, betterbeamer, battery pack, teleconverter, L-plate), my cinch strap sagged a bit, and felt uncomfortable.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2013 00:41 |  #865

Dj R wrote in post #15806490 (external link)
8386 here, an hour before you ;p

8250-ish, at 1:35pm EST

This site gets some traffic, but I really doubt they got in 8k+ orders in one day. Maybe an early-bird can post an order number and time of order :)

My Gearlist

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 09, 2013 00:43 |  #866

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15806496 (external link)
Err, 100-400 is considered heavy? Generally speaking, the camera doesn't flop around when using a cinch, so I'm betting the 100-400 wouldn't bounce around much either way. I just hope the new straps sag less (than the original Cinch) under heavy loads... ie above 10 pounds.

Perhaps not.. but I kinda remember Greg mentioning a while back (I can go back and dig through the thread) that a bigger lens should have the cinch (revision 1 in this case) attached to the tripod foot.

And while the 100-400 is not heavy in absolute terms, I assume that the reason it ships with a tripod foot as standard is Canon's way of indicating that where possible, the tripod foot should support the weight of the lens. Now that is when the lens is horizontal in normal use on a tripod - maybe this does not apply in the case of the Cinch where the lens essentially hangs vertically.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2013 00:50 |  #867

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15806505 (external link)
Perhaps not.. but I kinda remember Greg mentioning a while back (I can go back and dig through the thread) that a bigger lens should have the cinch (revision 1 in this case) attached to the tripod foot.

And while the 100-400 is not heavy in absolute terms, I assume that the reason it ships with a tripod foot as standard is Canon's way of indicating that where possible, the tripod foot should support the weight of the lens. Now that is when the lens is horizontal in normal use on a tripod - maybe this does not apply in the case of the Cinch where the lens essentially hangs vertically.

I've wondered why they add those pricey tripod collars on some of those lighter standard and telephoto lenses. Okay, the 100-400 might be a bit on the heavier side, and fully extended I suppose that could throw off the balance (especially if using a rebel over pro series), but the 400 5.6L and 300 4L? It just seems unnecessary.

Trying to work out in my head how that lens would be oriented with the cinch2. I suppose you would want it pointed down, rather than up? Either way, if you forget to lock the lens in, you could be in for some trouble once you cinch it back!!

My Gearlist

CanongLass
112 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 09, 2013 01:01 |  #868

Order number 8138 @ 9:30 AM pacific time this morning.

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2013 01:04 |  #869

jlf_200290717 wrote in post #15806551 (external link)
Order number 8138 @ 9:30 AM pacific time this morning.

one hour before me, 112 orders put in. Absolutely no way they got in 8k orders today :) I'm assuming they started the day somewhere around 7800.

My Gearlist

ChanHoNam
104 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2013 02:27 |  #870

Hmm, The first Luma Cinch look prettier somehow.
I got email from luma early 5am in the morning, I was so excited check their official site, the strap doesn't look as nice as the 1st version. Am I only one seeing this?

1st version the silver hook and logo made it looks really stand out and very classic.
But I love to see the review from ppl here who ordering them.

Thanks

5D III | 35L | 24-105L | 100L | 70-200L IS F4 | 600EX-RT | 430EX II | YN622C
Sony Nex5N 18-55 & 16 |Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

268,194 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.