Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 09:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Race to the bottom....

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 10, 2013 12:59 |  #16

Kronie wrote in post #15811856 (external link)
I care because if they ask me next year to shoot the prom I might do it for the experience.....and it would be nice to make a few bucks off the prints.

Plus I thought it would make good fodder for the board....

As far as wasting time, actually I am wasting the time of the company that pays me a salary to be here from 9-5....so its all good...

You're about to give the board really good fodder if you're not careful.... :(

sponsored links
jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 10, 2013 13:04 |  #17

So "Homemaker Mom Photography, Inc." shoots the job. Then she has to take the time to go to the local mart and sit at the self print station to get the prints made. She'll be there an hour or so. When she buys the prints, they'll add tax to them as she probably doesn't have a resellers tax-free form from the local tax office.
All in all, she's going to be clearing pennies per print. If she's actually doing it to make some extra money, she'll learn soon enough. If she's doing it just to be doing it for free... mission accomplished.

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 10, 2013 13:08 |  #18

^ even if her profit is $0, it may be completely worth it to her to have had the experience of doing such a large shoot. Further, as pointed out above, doing the shoot puts her in a good position to segue into doing senior shoots. Who are we to say that what she's doing isn't totally reasonable and totally smart from her own business perspective ?

I agree, though, that after doing this work she'll immediately understand how hard this work is and will obviously raise her fees.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 10, 2013 13:30 |  #19

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #15812241 (external link)
^ even if her profit is $0, it may be completely worth it to her to have had the experience of doing such a large shoot. Further, as pointed out above, doing the shoot puts her in a good position to segue into doing senior shoots. Who are we to say that what she's doing isn't totally reasonable and totally smart from her own business perspective ?

I agree, though, that after doing this work she'll immediately understand how hard this work is and will obviously raise her fees.

It's perfectly possible she's happy to do it for "free". For her it could very well be a hobby and a way to give back to the community as well and the prices are simply to cover her expenses.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 10, 2013 13:59 |  #20

^Totally agree. I'm saying more, though. I'm saying her strategy (charge super low at first just to gain experience and leads) isn't entirely unreasonable from a business perspective.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

autoidiodyssey
202 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 10, 2013 14:18 |  #21

It couldn't hurt to send her a note explaining why she can and should be charging more. She could be doing this out of the kindness of her heart or for the experience. But more likely she has no clue what she should or could be charging. One of the hardest things to figure out is how much to charge when you are starting out.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 10, 2013 14:18 |  #22

I care because if they ask me next year to shoot the prom I might do it for the experience.....and it would be nice to make a few bucks off the prints.

As far as wasting time, actually I am wasting the time of the company that pays me a salary to be here from 9-5....so its all good...

So... you are mad that she's hardly up-charging and you are thinking about shooting it for experience next year?

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 10, 2013 14:36 |  #23

Kronie wrote in post #15811450 (external link)
She's probably better. I mean, I have only been shooting an SLR for 30 years, have had numerous gallery shows, been published in a number of magazines and papers, shoot weddings, portraits, commercial work....

Plus, she has the job and I dont so that must mean something right?

Nah, she just knows somebody.

She'll know, eventually, that $1 is worth exactly $1. Wait until she gets complaints.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Kronie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 10, 2013 14:40 |  #24

xchangx wrote in post #15812540 (external link)
So... you are mad that she's hardly up-charging and you are thinking about shooting it for experience next year?

I am not mad I just wish she would charge more for prints. She should be charging at least $10 for an 8x10. I was going to charge $20, usually I charge $30 for portrait stuff.

As far as shooting it for experience, Its just a backdrop and two strobes. I have been working with strobes for years....but it might have kind of fun to shoot prom kids for a few hours. Something different.... I would have been shooting it for an experience not gaining experience if that makes sense.....

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2013 14:55 |  #25

You are saying that the other photographers prices are too low, but then you say you may just shoot it for experience. Which is it?

Sometimes you just have to elevate yourself in the market place, you ultimately know how good you are.

To give you an idea, I charge 75 an hour for my consideration with ANY type of swim lesson. the average rate in my area is substantially less, but im also FAR more experienced.

What can you do to differentiate yourself from the pack? push the envelope?

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 10, 2013 14:59 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #26

For the momtagrapher, this prom gig may seem unprofitable, but she instantly gains access to a large pool of potential clients if she manages to capitalize and build client relationships.

It really doesn't matter how much this momtagrapher or whoever charges. It is their prerogative. Maybe she goes about with a 20d, 2 No-name Flash units and Craigslist muslin drapes. Maybe her cost is super low... her friend of a friend owns a print shop. Who knows.

My advise is for you to calculate your own COGS and charge what you feel is profitable to maintain your lifestyle.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

Kronie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 10, 2013 15:04 |  #27

veritasimg wrote in post #15812711 (external link)
she instantly gains access to a large pool of potential clients

This is really and truly my gripe over anything else.....

skippix
124 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 10, 2013 15:11 |  #28

veritasimg wrote in post #15812711 (external link)
For the momtagrapher, this prom gig may seem unprofitable, but she instantly gains access to a large pool of potential clients if she manages to capitalize and build client relationships

i dunno about this...i thought i read that there were only 23 seniors in the class; if so, i would hardly characterize that as a large pool. now, if there were 200+ seniors, that would be a completely different story ;)

Skip
feel free to visit my website (external link) | some resources (external link) | collections (external link) | epic panoramics (external link)
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably wind up somewhere else" - David Campbell, PhD

moose10101
registered smartass
1,680 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 10, 2013 15:14 |  #29

Kronie wrote in post #15812729 (external link)
This is really and truly my gripe over anything else.....

So your actual gripe is that she may have a better business strategy?

Kronie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 10, 2013 15:20 |  #30

moose10101 wrote in post #15812780 (external link)
So your actual gripe is that she may have a better business strategy?

If a better business strategy is to stumble on a job and WAY undercharge then definitely, the strategy is sound. In fact its such a good strategy that when she raises her prices next year by 30% no one will even notice because she will still be 40% lower than most of the photographer around here.

sponsored links

5,828 views & 0 likes for this thread
Race to the bottom....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.