Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lesson learned thought its worth sharing

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 08, 2013 05:13 |  #16

1; This will happen whether you have contracts in place or not. You may as well get paid for it. If you deliver to a client who you're not friends with on FB you'd have no idea what they've done anyway.

2; You will do more damage to your brand trying to prosecute contracts with family members for a couple of FB photos than you will just letting it go.

The majority (90%+) of my sales are digital. I only have a passing interest in what happens to them from there provided it's for 'normal' domestic use. They're not watermarked so the realistic chances of my customer doing a horrible edit, posting it online, having someone see said horrible edit and that person actually inquiring as to who the photographer was, making the judgement that it was ME who did the edit, and then having that person actively avoiding my business on that basis is pretty low methinks.

As an aside, I truly believe the "don't sell your files because people will make dodgy prints at Walmart and your reputation will be ruined" mantra is perpetuated by businesses clinging to an outdated business model. Might have worked in 2005 but not now...the world has moved on.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 08, 2013 11:16 |  #17

I find it surprising that your family members needed to re-edit the photos. No disrespect to you, but maybe you need to improve on your editing? I don't know. I didn't see the photos. But I can't imagine someone taking a well edited photo and go "hmmm, I think I'm gonna run this through instagram".

Just a thought...

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 08, 2013 13:06 |  #18

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #15803591 (external link)
I find it surprising that your family members needed to re-edit the photos. No disrespect to you, but maybe you need to improve on your editing? I don't know. I didn't see the photos. But I can't imagine someone taking a well edited photo and go "hmmm, I think I'm gonna run this through instagram".

Just a thought...

people think they look this way or that and want to add their own touch so as to look how they THINK they should look, or how they THINK the photo should look. A friend of mine does this. She takes a perfectly good photo and starts playing with the different options for color, etc and she ends up with what I think is a mess sometimes.

if they aren't paying for it, I'd guess they are more likely to mess with it. If the photo cost them a thousand bucks, you think they are going to screw with it, or more likely place the photo somewhere without touching it.

I see it as a car. If you buy a $60,000 car and something goes wrong and needs repair, you figure, i'm not going to screw up a $60,000 car, so I'll let the pro handle it. Now if you have a $300 beater and something goes wrong, you would be more likely to have a thought of how much harm could I do, it's only a $300 beater, let me give it a shot.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 08, 2013 13:10 |  #19

Good point, Mike :D

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 08, 2013 16:22 |  #20

offensive text removed by moderator

JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2013 04:01 |  #21

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #15803591 (external link)

Just a thought...

My edits were good. Everyone loved them. She just felt the need to do selective coloring.

vengence wrote in post #15804744 (external link)

It always amazes me how new people like you come on here and start talking like this. If you have nothing useful to add to the conversation you can go elsewhere. Maybe one day you will see how it feels if you ever do this trying to start up a business.

EDIT: It is now apparent you are just a troll. I saw another of your posts recommending that people use MS paint for editing so that they do not need expensive gear. Plenty of other rude posts from you to other members as well.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 09, 2013 09:13 |  #22

Ratjack wrote in post #15806819 (external link)
I saw another of your posts recommending that people use MS paint for editing so that they do not need expensive gear.

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2013 09:45 |  #23

Vengence, I recommend you read section 4 of rules.

https://photography-on-the.net ….php?p=353304&p​ostcount=1

Sevas Tra...

JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2013 18:10 |  #24

To everyone in this thread, Thank you very much for your input. This was probably just hard for me to deal with since this was my first time doing something like this while trying to start a small business. I ended up just telling her not to worry about it and to do whatever she would like with the photos. I just asked to not be mentioned on the photos that they edited since I do not want people thinking it is my work. Thank you everyone!

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,914 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2013 02:49 |  #25

Yup. I think asking not to mention you nowhere near their "edited" images was strong enough line and it's enough. Well played. To go further it's just nonsense and beating your head against the rock.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 10, 2013 06:05 |  #26

Ratjack wrote in post #15802412 (external link)
Do you guys ever worry about people seeing the pictures and think you did that? Causing a bad reputation with your editing skills?

Think about it this way:
When you see a 2001 Dodge Neon (approximately 6 horsepower) with a spoiler on the trunk lid, a car bra, oversized wheels with low profile tires, brass plated spinner hub caps, and a big throaty exhaust system... do you think Chrysler actually built it that way?

This isn't a business problem. It's an ego problem. Let it go, man.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,703 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 10, 2013 06:47 |  #27

Curtis N wrote in post #15810952 (external link)
Think about it this way:
When you see a 2001 Dodge Neon (approximately 6 horsepower) with s spoiler on the trunk lid, a car bra, oversized wheels with low profile tires, brass plated spinner hub caps, and a big throaty exhaust system... do you think Chrysler actually built it that way?

This isn't a business problem. It's an ego problem. Let it go, man.

Oh man Curtis... you need to get out of the hood a little more often:lol::lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 10, 2013 07:03 |  #28

The bigger lesson is that people will often want to edit photos for themselves and there are hundreds of websites ad apps that make that easy. If you want to succeed in the personal and family portrait business, you should accept that your clients will often modify your photos. A contract will not stop this trend, and the most likely outcome is that your clients will make less referrals to you if they think you are trying to control their freedom expression.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,922 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2013 08:46 |  #29

Ratjack wrote in post #15801777 (external link)
lol. They did the selective color on a big flower the girl had on her head (in a headband).. so its all black and white except for this big pink blob on her head.....

When I questioned her about it she said "well this is what we like"..... -_- I will never press the shutter button again without a signed contract.

You don't give the customer what they want? Do you talk with your customers before you do a shoot to see what they are wanting in the finish product? Talking with the customer first, hearing what they want gives you the opportunity to guide them into wanting something more along the lines of what you feel is the best way to create the pictures. This way you have also cut down on the amount of edits the customer may feel they need to do to the picture you shot.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 10, 2013 17:04 |  #30

I can not imagine anyone in the "Family" taking a contract seriously. or inviting me to Christmas after making them sign a contract.

my suggestion for stuff like that is great do the pictures but if they want to edit and repost just don't credit you. if the images aren't watermarked or credited then its not an issue for you and happy families or if u really don't want this to happen don't take the pictures

sponsored links

3,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lesson learned thought its worth sharing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.