Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Apr 2013 (Monday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MAC vs PC Photos

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 08, 2013 16:52 |  #16

XBAMBOBEE wrote in post #15803087 (external link)
Hey Folks,

I understand most people use Macs to process photos for better results.

Results of a poll in the current newsletter of The Plugin Site:

364 people voted in the last poll about which OS they use for image editing. Here are the results:
1. Windows 7 55.5%
2. Windows XP 15.1%
3. Windows 8 8.8%
4. MacOS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6.3%
5. Windows Vista 5.5%
6. MacOS X 10.6 Snow Leopard 4.7%
7. MacOS X 10.7 Lion 2.5%
8. Linux 0.8% 3
9. Windows 2000 0.3%
MacOS X 10.5 Leopard 0.3%
Other 0.3%

A lot more people seem to use Windows 7 and XP than the new Window 8. MacOS X 10.6 seems to be used more often than 10.7. No votes were received for iOS, Android, Windows 98/ME and MacOS X 10.3/10.4. Additionally hardly anyone still uses Windows 2000 or MacOS X up to 10.5.
Compared to a similar poll in June 2011 the votes for Windows 7 increased by 9.5%, XP decreased by 11% and Vista decreased by 3.5%. The percentage of MacOS votes decreased from 16.8% to 13.8%.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 08, 2013 17:57 |  #17

What I see in those numbers:

Windows 85.2%
Mac 13.8%
Other 1.1%

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2013 05:51 |  #18

Grab a calibration tool and calibrate your monitor. Makes a big different when your editing.

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2013 16:46 |  #19

drvnbysound wrote in post #15805046 (external link)
What I see in those numbers:

Windows 85.2%
Mac 13.8%
Other 1.1%

Not true. I just switch to a iMac, so Mac is 13.9.:lol:

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 10, 2013 16:48 |  #20

Hey Folks,

I understand most people use Macs to process photos for better results. I do have a Mac with Retina display that I use to process my photos. However, when I view some of my photos at work on a PC, they tend to be over exposed a bit since the Retina display has an overall darkish tint on the resolution which I feel can be deceiving when trying to get proper exposure.

Anyhow, how do you guys go about finding the right balance for your photos?
If you use a Mac and then later view your pics on a PC and find that you are getting different results.

Thanks!

You understand wrong. Processing photos on a Mac isn't going to give "better results".

Gear List

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 10, 2013 17:15 |  #21

Numenorean wrote in post #15813174 (external link)
You understand wrong. Processing photos on a Mac isn't going to give "better results".

True story ;-)a

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2013 19:35 |  #22

To the OP, you mention the difference in brightness between the two displays, and that's something that can be easily corrected using the monitor Brightness control.

But first you need to determine which monitor is the "most correct".

Here's a quick check you can do:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/119812546/original.jpg

But then, you should realize that the "acid test" is to have a good quality print made, and view it in good light, comparing to your display(s). Like I said, in good light the print should show you haw your colors and lighting line up.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 10, 2013 19:47 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Hey Folks,

I understand most people use Macs to process photos for better results.

Thanks!

you will never get better results, just because you use a mac.

Gear List

DavidAndrew
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 10, 2013 21:12 |  #24

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #15813763 (external link)
you will never get better results, just because you use a mac.

If OP's context of better results is better viewing results then I agree with him. Macs generally have better screens, retina or not, than your avg PC display, particularly work PC's where many companies hand out lower end displays. Like him, my photos look beautiful on my MBP but not so good, i.e. washed out and unsaturated, on my work PC. But there is something else in the color space used between the two as well that I don't have the details to right now, only to say that on my Mac when I get my colors all just right via CSS for a webpage design then test it on the PC a similar effect occurs including actual color and hue shifts.

David
Portfolio / Blog  (external link) | Flickr  (external link) | 500px  (external link) | Instagram  (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 11, 2013 04:15 |  #25

Tony, surprisingly the best view I can get of that grey scale, and with really good contrast between both a-b and y-z too is on my Samsung Galaxy Note. It has the AmmoLED (sp?) screen, which I belive is the same technology they use to make Retina displays for Apple. The colour is much more saturated than my editing display which when using Soft proofing in LR4 is accurate to prints from both my home printer and the Lab I use. My editing monitor can only just show me the differences between the stripes at both ends.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 11, 2013 05:43 |  #26

My editing monitor can only just show me the differences between the stripes at both ends

Try reducing Contrast a bit. Of course you will then have to reprofile.
Another thing that might give you better separation in the shadows is, if your calibration software will do it, to calibrate to the sRGB tone curve rather than gamma 2.2.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 11, 2013 07:44 |  #27

Unfortunatly my profiling hardware was plugged in to a powered USB hub along with an external hdd when it got zapped by a surge. I cannot afford to replace it and as I am getting a really good match to my prints, and sRGB images seem OK outside of LR/PS I really do not want to play with it. I have even held off upgrading Vista to 7 because of it. It is not that you cannot see the end steps, I can see all of them, just that the phone screen seems to manage very high contrast and saturation without blocking up at either end.

I have no option of "cost" upgrades to any of my photography equipment in the foreseeable future, I have a daughter who has just got to Junior National Squad level in her chosen Olympic sport, and I would much rather support that, than spend what little money I have on myself.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 11, 2013 08:03 |  #28

well i used to use windows 7 on my laptop but have upgraded it to windows 8.
i do know that I will do a picture and my wifes iphone makes the colors look different... then my android phone looks different too.

I think the big thing is this.. if you can print the picture out and it is correct.. then hold that picture up to each device and find the correct one. however that brings up a different issue as we are moving to a more online genre coming up behind us. They want to see everything online....

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

XBAMBOBEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 11, 2013 09:33 |  #29

tonylong wrote in post #15813721 (external link)
To the OP, you mention the difference in brightness between the two displays, and that's something that can be easily corrected using the monitor Brightness control.

But first you need to determine which monitor is the "most correct".

Here's a quick check you can do:

QUOTED IMAGE

But then, you should realize that the "acid test" is to have a good quality print made, and view it in good light, comparing to your display(s). Like I said, in good light the print should show you haw your colors and lighting line up.

I Just tried this with a Dell flat screen monitor here at work and the adjustments are pretty much dead on with the default settings. But will try this at home on the Mac as well.

2 Legit 2 Quit

XBAMBOBEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 11, 2013 09:48 |  #30

DavidAndrew wrote in post #15814066 (external link)
If OP's context of better results is better viewing results then I agree with him. Macs generally have better screens, retina or not, than your avg PC display, particularly work PC's where many companies hand out lower end displays. Like him, my photos look beautiful on my MBP but not so good, i.e. washed out and unsaturated, on my work PC. But there is something else in the color space used between the two as well that I don't have the details to right now, only to say that on my Mac when I get my colors all just right via CSS for a webpage design then test it on the PC a similar effect occurs including actual color and hue shifts.

That is exactly my point!

And it is even more disturbing comparing PC colors against Mac colors side by side. It gets hard to decide which colors are true and look better.
It is like having two different views of the same scene. For example, colors/colours look more deep when you are wearing sunglasses (that is when you view a photo on a Mac). Now if you switch to the PC, it's like taking off your sunglasses and the scene gets much brighter.

2 Legit 2 Quit

sponsored links

6,383 views & 0 likes for this thread
MAC vs PC Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.