Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Favorite photography quotes?

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 10, 2013 16:57 |  #31

20droger wrote in post #15808539 (external link)
Yep. And the best camera for a given shot is the one you have with you.

Along a similar line of thought is - "Your worst photograph is the one you didn't take" - as always, my memory for specifics is awful and thus I can't recall who said it.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
tuxxer2
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2013 17:41 |  #32

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15813205 (external link)
Along a similar line of thought is - "Your worst photograph is the one you didn't take" - as always, my memory for specifics is awful and thus I can't recall who said it.

I think its a paraphrase of the stupidist question is the one not asked.

Declan

12345Michael54321
559 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 10, 2013 18:23 as a reply to  @ post 15799925 |  #33

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough." - Robert Capa

Of course, Capa didn't so much mean that you should slap a longer lens on your camera. He was referring to "close enough" in the metaphorical sense. That if your pictures weren't good enough, you needed greater involvement and intimacy with your subject.

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 11, 2013 00:31 |  #34

Not a quote, but a philosophy I've taken on, always take the shot when you have a chance. I figured this one out when I decided to set up my camera to take a family photo. I wanted to get it done because my dad had leukemia and wanted to at least get a last family photo. I had this thought at night though, and no one was ready to take a picture. The next day, we had to take my dad to the hospital where he passed away a day later.

So, whether you're at some event where something happens that probably won't happen again, or you're trying to capture a photo of someone close to you because you honestly don't know what will happen tomorrow, take the shot.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2013 11:29 |  #35

I'm not sure who this quote is from, but I think it was Joe McNally

"if your pictures are boring, try standing infront of more interesting stuff"

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 11, 2013 11:35 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #36

From One of my favorite clients at her daughters wedding when uncle bob kept triggering my lights during formals

"You do that one more time and im gonna shove that camera up your A$$ "--:lol::lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2013 12:18 |  #37

umphotography wrote in post #15816034 (external link)
From One of my favorite clients at her daughters wedding when uncle bob kept triggering my lights during formals

"You do that one more time and im gonna shove that camera up your A$$ "--:lol::lol:

That should be a new quote in itself right there - "hell hath no fury like a mother at her daughter's wedding."

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 15, 2013 07:09 |  #38

12345Michael54321 wrote in post #15813514 (external link)
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough." - Robert Capa

Of course, Capa didn't so much mean that you should slap a longer lens on your camera. He was referring to "close enough" in the metaphorical sense. That if your pictures weren't good enough, you needed greater involvement and intimacy with your subject.

Wow. I've known that quote for a while now, and I never thought about it that way before (I just assumed he meant you should get physically closer to the subject). It makes complete sense and you just blew my mind.

Lensrentals has a great compilation of quotes. (external link) Among my favourites (that haven't been listed here already):

• "There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." – Ansel Adams
  • "The truth is you have too many cameras and you don’t take enough photographs." - Kyle Cassidy
  • "I expose longer." - Alfred Eisenstaedt, when asked what he did at night in Paris
  • "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." – Dorthea Lange
  • "I can’t tell you how many pictures I’ve missed just ‘cause I’ve been so hell bent on getting the shot I think I want." - Joe McNally

I'll stop now or I'll be reproducing the list in its entirety.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

Gingerjam
425 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 16, 2013 06:29 |  #39

Photographers are violent people, first they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.

gingerjamphotography.com (external link)
Canon EOS 600D 5D MkIII Օ 24-70mm f/2.8 L 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Օ 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS 50mm f/1.8 mkII Օ 85mm f/1.8 USM 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

sjones
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 16, 2013 12:14 as a reply to  @ Gingerjam's post |  #40

Commenting on Calotype's imperfections in relation to the sharpness of Daguerreotypes, David Octavious Hill stated in 1848:

"The rough surface and unequal texture throughout of the paper is the main cause of the Calotype failing in details before the process of Daguerreotypy---and this is the very life of it. They look like the imperfect work of a man---and not the much diminished perfect work of God."

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Today's Lesson: A rangefinder is not a DSLR and vice versa.

BrianS
412 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 16, 2013 21:53 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #41

I will probably be rolled in feather and tar for this one but here goes

Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept
-- Henri Cartier-Bresson

Canon 5D3, Leica M6, Fujifilm x100 & Olympus E-M5 | Walkabout Street (external link)

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 16, 2013 21:57 |  #42

Here's another one from Zack Arias:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/jpeg'

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2013 06:06 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #43

"It doesn’t matter how technically proficient you are or how expensive your camera is. Without having a sharp and inquisitive eye– you will never make an interesting photograph."
-Eric Kim

Rebootnut
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 19, 2013 17:56 |  #44

I was at a Joe McNally seminar yesterday when he threw this one out there:

"I've never seen a landscape that I couldn't improve by simply putting a person in front of it."

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 12, 2014 08:07 |  #45

Here's a good list. Bonus: actually gives a real quick intro for each quoted photographer.

http://petapixel.com …otography-quotes-inspire/ (external link)

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
Favorite photography quotes?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.