Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 10 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera for the garage

johnms88
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 10, 2013 14:32 |  #1

Havent been on here in a while. Tried searching but I am not sure what to search.

Im looking for a durable camera for the garage. Basically, I'm building a couple cars and want to take progress pictures. I care more about durability/reliability than image quality. Id really love something that had a dock.

I dont really have a budget in mind but it would be nice to keep it under 250.

1Dmk2n:16-35L:24-70L:Sigma 70-200: 85 1.8 : 50 1.8: www.stuiephoto.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=776396

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 10, 2013 14:35 |  #2

Hi John - you may want to consider picking up a used Rebel. There are a lot out there with various features and lens combinations. Could you clarify what you mean by a dock? Why not just pop the card out and transfer the images in the same manner that you handled the 1Dmk files.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 10, 2013 14:42 |  #3

A Rebel XS, XSi, should be able to fall in that price range, or a 20D or 30D. Stick a flash on it, and work your magic, and they should make good 'throw around' cameras.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

johnms88
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2013 01:59 |  #4

I posted in small compact right?

This camera is just for progress shots. I dont need a dslr. Really. I promise. Im looking for something that i might drop and it might not break the lens and flash off.

A dock is nice because when im done with it I can just toss it on the dock..have it charging. Back in the day I had a kodak camera that had a dock--are these not common anymore? I dont feel like fiddling with usb connectors or battery packs with mechanics gloves on.

1Dmk2n:16-35L:24-70L:Sigma 70-200: 85 1.8 : 50 1.8: www.stuiephoto.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=776396

mpix345
Goldmember
2,850 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2013 07:18 as a reply to  @ johnms88's post |  #5

I'd consider something in the waterproof/shockproof category, like the Olympus Tough TG-820 iHS. Around $225. Supposed to withstand impact from 6.5 feet, and is dust proof; crush proof; water proof.

Canon option is the D10, but I think it will be over budget unless you buy used, and only impact resistant from 4 feet.

I think you are out of luck with regard to a dock. I don't recall seeing that feature for a while now.

The other thing I would consider is maybe a used G9. <$200. Bigger than the waterproof cams, but maybe that is a good thing? What I like about it is the articulated screen. Could be very handy in getting pics at odd angles.

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 11, 2013 07:25 |  #6

Apparently some don't get what you want. A Rebel or G series are pretty dang fragile when it comes down to it. For ruggedness and ease of use, get this guy: Pentax Optio WG-2

http://www.amazon.com …1-1&keywords=pentax+opti​o (external link)

It's a what I would consider the perfect garage camera. Good size with nice rubber gripping all over.
Picture taken from Amazon

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81sV%2BZ7g4QL._SL1500_.jpg

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 11, 2013 07:31 |  #7

someone beat me to it, but ya. the pentax is vey nice, and has a lot of useful built in features for documenting a car project (3 shot automatic pano, for example, would come in handy if you want a lot of extra detail, close up)

also a cool 'macro' mode, that uses the LED lights around the lens to light your subject.

they show up on groupon for ~$150-$175 all the time

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2013 07:37 |  #8

johnms88 wrote in post #15814792 (external link)
I posted in small compact right?

This camera is just for progress shots. I dont need a dslr. Really. I promise. Im looking for something that i might drop and it might not break the lens and flash off.

A dock is nice because when im done with it I can just toss it on the dock..have it charging. Back in the day I had a kodak camera that had a dock--are these not common anymore? I dont feel like fiddling with usb connectors or battery packs with mechanics gloves on.

Sorry John - I misunderstood. I was just thinking price and features. Now I understand why you wanted the dock. I recall when a lot of compacts used to have the dock but I have not seen that too much lately.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 11, 2013 08:05 |  #9

battery life is pretty amazing on these point n shoots now days. I have let one sit for a month, and it still had enough power to take a few dozen shots... then I had to yank the battery and put it on the charger :)

barn9
224 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2013 09:42 |  #10

Not sure you'll find anything with a dock these days, but from your description I can tell you what I would do, and that is pick up one or more of the A models (A560, A590, etc.) off ebay. They sell now in the 30-40 dollar range, use AA batteries, and are quite capable of taking good garage pics. If you drop one or get too much grease on it, replacements are cheap and plentiful.

Canon S5is, Canon A2000is

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 11, 2013 11:25 as a reply to  @ barn9's post |  #11

I also recommend the old Olympus C740,C720,C750 series of cameras. If you can find one, pick it up for a song, there so old now there probably considered throwaways.
Why these you may ask, well I gave one to our 5 year old, and there 10 now and despite being dropped and dented, it still works great.
It may only be 4MP or so, but the images are really terrific, and the file sizes are nice and small, perfect for documenting disassembly and rebuild later on.
Hey what kind of vehicle we talking about? I'm into photography, but I'll always be part motorhead too.

Bruce

johnms88
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2013 17:06 |  #12

hanks for the replies.

The pentax looks interesting. I wish it had a bit more optical zoom to it.

A shame I cant get a dock. That would have been nice.

I think I will have to think more about priorities since they dont make anything with exactly the feature set I am looking for.

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 11, 2013 18:35 as a reply to  @ johnms88's post |  #13

There are several "tough" cameras on the market in the point and shoot category. Here's a link to the last time DPR reviewed them as a group, at least it's only recent set I can find there.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …aterproofcompac​tgrouptest (external link)

Most cameras today have small rechargeable batteries and a small battery charging device. If you get a spare battery, then you can be charging one and using another. Spare batteries are not very expensive. I would not want a camera that had to be connected to a dock or USB connection to recharge. I always carry a charged spare with me, and recharge at night or during the day if I'm not out and about.

Dennis

sponsored links

2,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera for the garage
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.