Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D vs. Canon 5D mark ii

Cindel
41 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2013 21:22 |  #1

I'm needing advice..please.... I have a Canon t1i. I would like to upgrade to a full frame camera. I had thought I wanted the 5d mark ii, then I started researching online. Needless to say, I found the 6D. I'd love a 5d mark iii but that is just too far out of my budget.

So does anyone have advice???? I know that I'm going to have to make the decision myself but advice is so needed. I'm the type of person who second guesses everything I do so I've been stressing about this ALL week.

Thank you :D

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2013 21:28 |  #2

Why do you need a FF? What do you shoot mostly? If you only have EF-S lenses, none of them will work on a 6d or 5d, you will need EF lenses.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Cindel
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2013 21:33 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #3

Sorry about that. I added the lenses that I have. I'd like to get an 85mm lens too, I have done a couple senior shoots, a newborn shoot, and I'm doing a wedding in August. I want something that shoots great in low light

CGsteve77
76 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 10, 2013 22:00 as a reply to  @ Cindel's post |  #4

Cindel - I have both!

I've owned the 5D2 for two years, I love it. It's been good at everything I've needed it to do. I got the 6D as a replacement for the 5D2 today for its low light performance - less noise at higher ISO and better center point focusing ability; the wi-fi I will occasionally use. However, I don't like the directional pad on the 6D, its awkward compared to the 5D2's joystick. how comfortable you are with the camera means a lot too. go hold both in a shop, do some test shots with each if they'll let you. All in all, the 6D in my opinion is only a marginal upgrade from the 5D2, they both produce about the same quality images given the right conditions with good glass.

since you are asking about the body only, my short answer without getting all technical is, get the 6D. after you get the 6D, buy a good lens! You could also look into a used 5D2 in good condition, that'll save you some cash that you can invest in other places..

6D | 5DII | Sony RX100 | 35L | 70-200L f/2.8 IS II | 580EX II

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 10, 2013 22:22 |  #5

I recently bought a new 5D MK II, but I was able to get it for just over $1,400 - about what used 5D MK IIs are being sold for right now. I bought the 5D2 for several reasons, one works as a great compliment to my 7D. I have the best two cameras for my type of shooting. The AF is not a big deal, shot for years with a 10D and 20D and very comfortable with the AF performance of the 5D2. I have had zero problems getting the AF to perform for my needs. Layout and feel also played a part, I like the size, feel and control layout of the 5D2 (just what I am use to using). Price was another big reason. I did not want to spend $1,900 for a camera, so saving $500 was big for me.

Other factors for me, I don't like buying used cameras so price and warranty factor a lot in my choices. If the price was within $200 I would buy a 6D, newer technology and better AF and low light ISO (not a big factor for me since I don't plan on using the 5D2 for sports). Also, while I like the control and feel of the 5D2, you can learn a new system so this really should not be a big factor. Now, I will also say I bought a FF camera because I have a lens and accessory lineup that I need for my work. Personally looking at your lens lineup I would recommend spending money on upgrading your lenses and look for a new body in the future. Bodies generally come and go, but lenses generally stay - if you buy quality.

Just my thoughts.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 10, 2013 23:41 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Cindel,

I moved from T1i to 60D. I am still shooting the 60D. Last December, I bought a 5D, the original one, just to play with full-frame. I am liking it. My 60D is getting less use these days. I intend to keep it because the 60D and 10-22 gives me the best UWA setup Canon makes. That and my 100-400L is (apparently) longer on the APS-c body.

On to your issue: 5D2 vs 6D? As stated, I like FF and am considering an upgraded body. Like you, the 5D3 is off the table. That is too much money for an amateur like me. When considering the differences between the 5D2 and 6D, I am left with this. The 6D is newer. Newer processor, newer sensor, newer focus system. The oft listed short-comings of the 6D, 1/180 sync-speed and 1/4000 max shutter are almost insignificant. I went through my photos for the last year or so. I have one at 1/5000 and one a 1/6400. Both of them were wide open on f/1.8 lenses. Stopping down would have improved those shots. HSS negates the less-than 1/6 stop difference is sync-speed. Both of these specs exist solely so Canon's marketing department can upsell the 5D3.

In every other respect, as far as IQ goes, the 6D is superior to the 5D2. At lower ISO, the difference is probably not visible. As ISO climbs, the 6D leaves the 5D2 behind. It actually gets reviews better than the 5D3 at higher ISO settings.

One thing I don't like about the 6D (and the 60D for that matter) is that the top-deck buttons only do one function. The two-functions-per-button of the 5D (and 5D2, 5D3) give me direct access to more settings.

I don't know if the 6D has MFA, but that does not matter to me. I've never needed it. It must be said here that I don't own any f/1.2 or f/1.4 lenses. I have several f/2.8, f/2 and f/1.8 primes, and one f/2.8 zoom, and have never needed MFA.

Add to all this the fact that right now the 5D2 costs $200 MORE than the 6D and I have a winner. If/when I upgrade my 5D, it will be to a 6D. Even if the 6D were $200 more than the 5D2, I think it is worth it. Thank you. Your question has helped ME think this through.

Gear List

swidjaja
395 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2013 01:18 |  #7

I moved from 5dii to 6d 1 month ago. If you shoot at iso 1600 or lower, then the iq is pretty much similar. But anything above that 6d wins hands down.

Also, the af of 6d seems to be more accurate than that of 5dii. My 85Lii used to struggle with 5dii, now is much better.

I also tested the low light af va my friend's 5diii. 6d won in low light. But center point only though.

6D + enough lenses for now.

jonrmoore
400 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 11, 2013 03:19 |  #8

I'd get the 6D. I was having the same dilema, also, and I'm very happy with what I chose now. You're going to love the way the 85mm looks on a full frame.

http://jontakesphotos.​com (external link)
Flickr (external link) - 6D, 5D, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 135 f2.8, Helios 44-2

usdm
212 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 11, 2013 08:25 as a reply to  @ jonrmoore's post |  #9

I was in a similar situation, wanting to step up from a T3i for when I do photography in low light situations and cant use flash. This video helped me make my decision:

http://youtu.be/C5wCSS​Ei3rs (external link)

The one thing that does bug me is the low flash sync. But I think I may be able to boost it up once I do some experimenting with hypersyncing.

http://imagedphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Seeker of the "AH HA" moments....

elitejp
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 11, 2013 08:45 as a reply to  @ usdm's post |  #10

I think it really just depends on if you want to spend the extra money on the 6d. Others can correct me but the high iso noise on both cameras are very similiar. What the 6d has that the 5d2 doesnt is gps, wifi and better center point af. A good strategy would be just to keep your eyes out for a good priced used 5d2 and use the money saved for better glass. If you dont find any good bargains and your anxious to upgrade just pick up the 6d.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

usdm
212 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 11, 2013 08:53 |  #11

elitejp wrote in post #15815428 (external link)
I think it really just depends on if you want to spend the extra money on the 6d. Others can correct me but the high iso noise on both cameras are very similiar. What the 6d has that the 5d2 doesnt is gps, wifi and better center point af. A good strategy would be just to keep your eyes out for a good priced used 5d2 and use the money saved for better glass. If you dont find any good bargains and your anxious to upgrade just pick up the 6d.

The noise on both are not similar.

5DC > 5DII
5DII > 5DIII
5DIII > 6D (but only by a small margin)

http://imagedphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Seeker of the "AH HA" moments....

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 11, 2013 09:12 |  #12

I am going with getting the 5D Mk II. I have one and I still don't see the real need for the 6D. Sales I guess? Whatever minor spec increases will not be noticed in wedding photography. I don't use WFT or GPS and I doubt you will either for part-time wedding jobs. Most, no all, weddings do not offer you the luxury of time. So, knowing your equipment and how it works is mandatory.
I still have my trusty XTi with me!

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 11, 2013 09:48 |  #13

I upgraded from a T3i to a 5Dii. When I got the 5Dii the 6D was still 2 grand, and I got the 5Dii for $1,100 as everyone was jumping ship and it was right after Christmas. Given used prices right now, and what you can get the 6D for in some cases, I would get the 6D for the low light performance. Also, if you start shooting more weddings, you will most likely get the 5Diii and the 6D will still fetch a fair amount for you if you decide to sell. The one thing I don't like about the 6D is the SD slot instead of the CF slot. Having used both, I prefer the CF, even if it is a little more expensive. The speed is worth it.

angelIV
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 11, 2013 10:57 |  #14

im also on the same vote as the op, im planning on getting in to fullframe. i have a 50d now with 24-105, 70-200 and 50mm 1.4 trio. and my 2 choices r 6d and 5d mkii. 6d is around 1800 now in bb while the mkii is around 1200 - 1400 used. cant seem to decide which one is better, i shoot mostly portraits with some occasional indoor fashion shows which is a bit a challenge with the 50d even with a 24-70 2.8.

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 11, 2013 11:13 |  #15

CGsteve77 wrote in post #15814306 (external link)
I don't like the directional pad on the 6D, its awkward compared to the 5D2's joystick.

I have a 7D and a 6D. The 7D has a joystick. I don't like it. I prefer a directional pad. It just shows that different people like different things. Nothing wrong with that.

I've used my son's 5DII and 5DIII. I thought about a 5DII but I bought a 6D. The 5DII is a fine camera but I like the 6D a little more for what I do with a camera. (Landscapes, travel, and architecture.)

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sponsored links

55,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D vs. Canon 5D mark ii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.