Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 10, 2013 14:46 |  #916

Longy wrote in post #15812635 (external link)
I was more thinking about the camera sitting in the horizontal position its more likely to bump into things as it would stick out

Totally depends on the lens then. I never tried it in that orientation with my own cinch mk1. If people get upset by all of the unwarranted poking, just say that you're happy to see them :p

My Gearlist

sponsored links
Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 10, 2013 14:47 |  #917

I have a v2 on order. Using a manfrotto mount. Eventually they'll have one? Hopefully I can trade up with someone!

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 10, 2013 14:49 |  #918

Dj R wrote in post #15812663 (external link)
I have a v2 on order. Using a manfrotto mount. Eventually they'll have one? Hopefully I can trade up with someone!

He did say that it's on the way. If you want an actual timetable and price, you may want to pm him for an answer. Otherwise you may be in for a lonnnnnnnng wait

My Gearlist

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 10, 2013 14:58 |  #919

Dj R wrote in post #15812663 (external link)

Eventually, that appears to be the plan.

If you use a Manfrotto clamp on your tripod, we’re going to provide an optional Manfrotto RC2-based plate that provides the same functionality as our plate. It won’t be available on day one and it won’t come standard in the box, but we do want to take care of the Manfrotto owners out there.

Better yet, convert to an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp and be done with it. :)

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

ChanHoNam
104 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 10, 2013 19:10 |  #920

In that case I will wait for the Alu part to finish so I can order all in one package since I am in Australia.

And if anyone else wonder Greg get to sleep or not... here's pic look like what he would do

IMAGE: http://agileirony.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/face-keyboard-sleep.jpg

Sorry Greg.. You're the man, and everyone here proud of Cinch Products

5D III | 35L | 24-105L | 100L | 70-200L IS F4 | 600EX-RT | 430EX II | YN622C
Sony Nex5N 18-55 & 16 |Flickr (external link)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 10, 2013 22:33 |  #921

Did you get any sleep last night? I was up early (on the right coast) and you were posting.

Haha, my sleep schedule is totally fouled up. I tend to do all my best design work in the middle of the night. When we go into production mode, I need to flip so I can go to all the various shops who make our stuff to pick up parts and manage production.

Thanks for rooting for us!

Yes, but sounds like on the v2, Greg is recommending both attachments to the arca plate, so with the big lens, would it be one end to the arca plate and the other to the lens foot?

Camera Connections

I think we will put up a page about this on the blog and make it part of our online instruction manuals, but here is the lowdown:

The Cinch 2 is just as adaptable as the Cinch 1. Aside from some little enhancements and the hardware change, it's the same basic strap.

The vast majority of users are running something in the Canon 7D/5D size range with a medium size (usually one of those ~18mm-124mm) lenses. For those users, you will want to attach both points of the Cinch to the bottom Arca plate. Alternatively, if you are running a Membrane Connector with another plate, use the Membrane Connector on the left and attach to the Left Top bracket.

Either of those connections works well. We think mounting both points to the bottom is optimal, but the difference between it and mounting to the top bracket and bottom is really just a tweak. Don't over think this too much!

If you have a short, lightweight lens like a 50mm or 35mm, give the top left and right brackets a try. As the lens gets heavier and longer (think, L glass) and the body gets taller (think: 1D, Nikon D4 or anything with a grip), top mounting becomes cumbersome. For a lightweight, short lens, street shooting setup, top mounting works pretty well!

If your lens is long enough to have a foot, attach the front of the Cinch to the lens foot (with a PodMount, available very soon), and the rear Cinch strap to the bottom (Arca Plate, PodMount or Membrane Connector). We call this Cradle Carry, and it works quite well. When the camera is Cinched down, it tends to ride with the body up high against the back and the lens facing down, right below your elbow where it is very easy to control.

If you run a really lightweight camera like a T1i, Sony RX1, Micro 4/3 sorta system, don't buy a Cinch. Our system is really engineered for cameras with some weight on them. For the tiny cameras, the Cinch is massive overkill and will sorta get in the way. We love small cameras, and once we get the Cinch launched and the system built out, we have something in the pipe for the smaller cameras called the Luma Lux. I will say no more about it.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 11, 2013 00:23 |  #922

Awesome, thanks Greg! Really looking forward to receiving it!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2013 09:19 |  #923

What material are the quick links made out of? Are they easily polished? I have a tub of Blue Magic polish that I may try. They look unfinished as they are, IMO.

Gear List & Feedback

flyfish1
673 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2013 10:05 as a reply to  @ v35skyline's post |  #924

I signed up to Luma's email last week trying to find out how to order the cinch2. Since i got no response is there another way of going about ordering one of these?

5D Mark II - 17-40 f/4L - 24-105 f/4L IS - 70-300L IS - 85 1.8 - RRS TVC 33 Tripod - RRS BH-55 Ball Head

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2013 10:06 |  #925

^^^Someone posted the link to the pre-order website somewhere in the last 10 pages. I deleted the e-mail. :( Did you check your spam folder?

Gear List & Feedback

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 11, 2013 10:22 |  #926

Here http://prerelease.luma​-labs.com/ (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2013 12:04 |  #927

What material are the quick links made out of? Are they easily polished? I have a tub of Blue Magic polish that I may try. They look unfinished as they are, IMO.

They are aircraft grade zinc plated steel. In real life, they are nicely polished, but for some reason, they diffuse light to look unpolished in pictures.

We also had a handful made in stainless steel. They are nice, but bring absolutely no benefits in strength, durability or corrosion resistance at 3x the cost.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 11, 2013 12:05 |  #928

gakoenig wrote in post #15816118 (external link)
They are aircraft grade zinc plated steel. In real life, they are nicely polished, but for some reason, they diffuse light to look unpolished in pictures.

We also had a handful made in stainless steel. They are nice, but bring absolutely no benefits in strength, durability or corrosion resistance at 3x the cost.

I'm already thinking of using these quick links for purposes other than on my camera, i.e. on my keys or bags. Sounds like a nifty little tool.

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 11, 2013 12:33 |  #929

Attn Greg :)

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/12038​90 (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 11, 2013 12:38 |  #930

Some of these opinions are pretty ridiculous. Here we have Greg and Luma who have spent a *huge* amount of time and effort (at great financial impact, no doubt) thinking through every conceivable way to improve what is already (from what I have read) an excellent product, field testing the hell out of the new model and graciously sharing the intricacies of product design with us, and people are summarily dismissing the product... based on what?

Obviously when the customer has the item in his/her hands and tests it out, the opinions can flow but for now, it seems like Luma has systematically gone after every missing feature or minor issue that V1 may have had and found a fix or an improvement for them and until I can get one in my hands to find out for myself, I am going to assume that V2 will surpass V1 for performance and functionality.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links

276,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.