Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2013 12:42 |  #931

peace and love

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2013 12:54 |  #932

People will come around when they read reviews.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 11, 2013 13:07 |  #933

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15816262 (external link)
Some of these opinions are pretty ridiculous. Here we have Greg and Luma who have spent a *huge* amount of time and effort (at great financial impact, no doubt) thinking through every conceivable way to improve what is already (from what I have read) an excellent product, field testing the hell out of the new model and graciously sharing the intricacies of product design with us, and people are summarily dismissing the product... based on what?

Obviously when the customer has the item in his/her hands and tests it out, the opinions can flow but for now, it seems like Luma has systematically gone after every missing feature or minor issue that V1 may have had and found a fix or an improvement for them and until I can get one in my hands to find out for myself, I am going to assume that V2 will surpass V1 for performance and functionality.

Their concerns are legitimate--even if they are based off nothing more than cosmetic considerations. We are the target buyers, and every complaint/opinion/sugg​estion has to be considered--from the standpoint of Luma. From my perspective though, they made the right call in switching from aluminum bits to plastic for $15-$20 less. Most people will prefer the cheaper price. If the new setup was $80+, I likely would not consider buying a cinch2

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 11, 2013 13:10 |  #934

Wow, one guy looking for a single Cinch :p While we're at it, let Luma know that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on like a dozen of the mk2 Loop's

My Gearlist

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2013 13:14 |  #935

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15816372 (external link)
Their concerns are legitimate--even if they are based off nothing more than cosmetic considerations. We are the target buyers, and every complaint/opinion/sugg​estion has to be considered--from the standpoint of Luma. From my perspective though, they made the right call in switching from aluminum bits to plastic for $15-$20 less. Most people will prefer the cheaper price. If the new setup was $80+, I likely would not consider buying a cinch2

Agreed.

It's stupid, but I would rather pay $60 for the base unit + $20 for the metal parts later than $80 for a base unit with metal parts. LOL

People love to accessorize. Businesses bank on that (I don't blame them).

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 11, 2013 13:25 |  #936

v35skyline wrote in post #15816401 (external link)
Agreed.

It's stupid, but I would rather pay $60 for the base unit + $20 for the metal parts later than $80 for a base unit with metal parts. LOL

People love to accessorize. Businesses bank on that (I don't blame them).

Odds of buying the alum cinch2 for $80: Zero
Odds of buying the alum bits for $20 when available: ehh, I'm mulling it over

Most people don't look at things in terms of total investment. That's how those barstidges over at Apple are eating so much of our money with appstore sales :p

Hopefully Luma offers a pre-built cinch with the Alum. bits swapped in (as an option) for slightly less than it would cost to buy them outright. I'm sure the plastic bits have to be worth something.

My Gearlist

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2013 13:26 |  #937

Like I said, we anticipated people would miss the aluminum bits and/or the pull tab.

Originally, we tried designing an injection molded slide with the pull tab, but we ran into issues with the shutoffs (the parts of the mold that close together to keep the polymer from filling up certain spaces) around the bridge that the pull tab connects to. By the time everything was engineered, the part had gotten simply massive. We experimented with ditching the pull tab and it allowed us to optimize the inside geometry of the slide and we were blown away by how smooth it became; so much so that:

A- We found we didn't miss the pull-tab at all.
B- It was small enough we could place sliders front and back for even more flexibility.

The thing I'm finding odd is the handful (about 5-7 comments so far) from people who say they "hate" the new design. We're talking all of two different parts here. Parts you can throw in at any time.

I guess we'll just need to deliver aluminum hardware ASAP and show these folks how cool the system approach can be. :)

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2013 13:31 |  #938

Hopefully Luma offers a pre-built cinch with the Alum. bits swapped in for slightly less than it would cost to buy them outright. I'm sure the plastic bits have to be worth something.

We'll see how well the aluminum parts sell. With the system approach, our plan is to offer a whole bunch of accessories. If we notice folks are regularly building up a particular combination, we can create a pre-configured SKU and sell it that way. If we notice something is selling *REALLY* well, we can choose to make the investment in tooling and use our composite polymer material to bring the cost down significantly.

This is what's going to happen with the RC2 plate. We think most serious photographers have moved to Arca at this point, but we recognize the demand for an RC2 solution... so we will machine the RC2. It costs more per unit (like, 10x) to machine it, but there is little/no upfront investment in tooling. If the world starts buying up a boatload of RC2 plates from us, we'll engineer an injection mold and bring it down to our Luma Arca plate cost structure.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2013 14:19 |  #939

Greg,

I think this discussion about the RC2 plate inspired me to make the change to an Arca-style plate. I just ordered everything I need to make the conversion from Kirk Enterprise Solutions:http://www.kirkphoto.c​om/ (external link)

I've been struggling with the camera sag/droop for too long and your comments sort of tipped the scale. As a side benefit, when I get everything converted over, I won't be able to resist the Cinch 2. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 11, 2013 14:39 |  #940

Thick question alert - I take it arca is a system not supported by manfrotto products?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 11, 2013 14:48 |  #941

0.0f wrote in post #15816693 (external link)
Thick question alert - I take it arca is a system not supported by manfrotto products?

You mean their tripods/monopods? It's their ballhead clamps alone that use the RC2 systems, which are incompatible with Arca. You could always unscrew the RC2 clamp (I think) and put on your own arca clamp on the manfrotto ballheads. Otherwise, their offerings are the same as any other manufacturer. Same screw sizes, etc.

My Gearlist

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2013 14:49 |  #942

The Manfrotto quick release options are proprietary. Since joining POTN, I've seen countless (OK, I'm sure they could be counted) recommendations from people who started with but moved away from the RC2 Manfrotto quick release plates.

I like the way my Manfrotto tripod head adjusts and how easy it is to clamp but when using it, you have to factor in for the drop/sag you will get when you tighten things down. From all I can gather, this comes mainly from the connection between the camera and the quick release plate screwed into the bottom of the camera, as well as the way the quick release plate attaches to their clamp.

I'll be able to confirm this (hopefully ;)) when I get everything changed over.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 11, 2013 14:53 |  #943

whmeltonjr wrote in post #15811538 (external link)
When I use my big lens, I attach one point to the camera strap point, and the other to the lens foot. This really distributes the weight evenly.

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15816717 (external link)
You mean their tripods/monopods? It's their ballhead clamps alone that use the RC2 systems, which are incompatible with Arca. You could always unscrew the RC2 clamp (I think) and put on your own arca clamp. Otherwise, their offerings are the same as any other manufacturer. Same screw sizes, etc.

Yes I am using a 496RC2 head. I will probably hold off going the arca route for the time being as want to save up for a better tripod in future with a better head for still photography and a separate video head. After a quick google just seen that CustomSLR do a compatible head, will wait to see cost of the Luma RC2 head and decide from there.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2013 15:23 |  #944

has anyone here personally seen it happen? an RC2 fail?

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2013 15:56 |  #945

DjR, I've had my tripod for a couple years now and I haven't had a failure with the RC2. I just get that annoying sag when I tighten everything down. Nothing slides, it's just that the tolerances aren't quite up to par and things sag under the weight of the camera/lens.

I saw the same thing with my little G12 before I had my 60D. When I had even just an add-on macro lens attached, I'd get that sag. There is no doubt many people start out with Manfrotto products. They are very reliable and just as important for beginners, affordable. At least, for me as a beginner. I know I couldn't have forced myself to save up for a RRS tripod/head combination when I just had a G12 point and shoot. ;)

sponsored links

276,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.