Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

print size issue

Houston1852
197 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2013 17:51 |  #1

Hi, I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 II printer. I've had it for several months but just set it all up the other day. I printed out an 11x14 photo that looked fine. However today I had an issue printing an 8x10. I opened my photo in photoshop, selected print, paper size 8.5 x11, print size 8x10. The printout looks nice, however, it printed at 6 5/8 x 10. I don't get that print size since I had it set to 8x10. I don't think I had the crop box checked, but don't think so and I don't think that would have effected it that much anyway. I'd really appreciate some help on this.
Ryan

sponsored links
Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 09, 2013 18:02 |  #2

can you share the image info? 8x10 is a 4:5 ratio, most images you shoot are 3:2, so there will either be some cropping or you end up with one side 'full' and bars on either side of the image.

Houston1852
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2013 19:31 |  #3

Can you tell me how to share the image info?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,985 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 10, 2013 05:44 |  #4

If you did not crop the image to match the 5:4 ratio of a 10"x8" print from the native 3:2 ratio of a DSLR then in order to fit the whole width in the avilable space the print driver will add a white strip just over 1/2" wide to the top and bottom of the image. To get a full DSLR image to print out 8" high it would have to be 12" wide in landscape orientation. To let us all know the aspect ratio of the image you are trying to print just let us know how many pixels it is on each edge. For example my EOS300D produces images 3072 pixels by 2048 pixels for a 3:2 ratio. To fit on 10"x8" I would need to crop it so it was only 2457 pixels wide.

Hope this helps.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,467 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 10, 2013 06:41 |  #5

Yep, 2:3 is 6.67 in. x 10 in. and that's what you got.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2013 18:12 |  #6

Houston1852 wrote in post #15809392 (external link)
Hi, I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 II printer. I've had it for several months but just set it all up the other day. I printed out an 11x14 photo that looked fine. However today I had an issue printing an 8x10. I opened my photo in photoshop, selected print, paper size 8.5 x11, print size 8x10. The printout looks nice, however, it printed at 6 5/8 x 10. I don't get that print size since I had it set to 8x10. I don't think I had the crop box checked, but don't think so and I don't think that would have effected it that much anyway. I'd really appreciate some help on this.
Ryan

What software are you using to edit and to print?

It's pretty basic and simple to crop to a desired print size.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Houston1852
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2013 18:23 |  #7

Ok, I just checked and the dimensions of this photo are: 5616 wide x 3744 high. I am using PSE 10 for my editing and printing.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2013 20:50 |  #8

Elements has both a cropping tool and also an image sizing tool

Start with cropping. You will need to set the cropping "aspect ratio" for your desired print size. There are a couple ways of approaching this, but I don't have Elements and so I'm not sure of the specifics. If you can't figure it out, speak up!

For resizing, if you are printing directly from Elements, once you crop you should be able to just print. The Elements and print driver should handle sizing the image to print correctly.

To be concise, the pixel dimensions for the 8x10 aspect ratio would be 4680x3744, assuming you only crop at the widest dimension.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Houston1852
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 11, 2013 18:45 |  #9

I think I got it to work. I haven't tried printing yet, but I see what you mean by cropping. So basically, if I want an 8x10, I'm going to have to lose a little bit of the original image.

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 11, 2013 19:28 |  #10

only if you want it to fill the entire page.

if you know your shooting for 8x10, leave extra room in the image so you can crop it down. :D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2013 19:28 |  #11

Houston1852 wrote in post #15817495 (external link)
I think I got it to work. I haven't tried printing yet, but I see what you mean by cropping. So basically, if I want an 8x10, I'm going to have to lose a little bit of the original image.

Yep, the alternative is to print at a non-"normal" print size, for example, an 8x12. A 4x6 would also work without cropping, or a 6x9, or a 7x10 1/2.

This is a very common problem for people just getting started in printing. What you need to do starts with taking the photo -- try to leave a bit of room in your framing if an 8x10 print is going to be common.

Alternatively, in your processing, you can "frame" your photo so that there are white or colored "edges" on the wider dimensions, or, if you feel bold, you can use your software to clone over "stuff" to create those edges (you would need to create a layer/canvas that has the 8x10 aspect ratio).

Tony

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,985 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 11, 2013 20:34 |  #12

I have added sky to an image to bring it to 4×5 ratio from 3×2. It is at least an option if you are going "squarer" and you can afford a bit of extra sky in your composition, usually not too hard to do the cloning job either. My better to remember that most common print sizes are a bit squarer than the 35mm formats 3:2 ratio, and frame accordingly. Sometimes I think some frame guides for 4:5 and maybe even 4:3 in the viewfinder would be useful.

Alan

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2013 22:00 |  #13

BigAl007 wrote in post #15817821 (external link)
I have added sky to an image to bring it to 4×5 ratio from 3×2. It is at least an option if you are going "squarer" and you can afford a bit of extra sky in your composition, usually not too hard to do the cloning job either. My better to remember that most common print sizes are a bit squarer than the 35mm formats 3:2 ratio, and frame accordingly. Sometimes I think some frame guides for 4:5 and maybe even 4:3 in the viewfinder would be useful.

Alan

Way to go, Alan!

Some camera do have those "guides", but I'm not sure of which ones...

Like you've noted, the 3:2 ratio is wider/taller than other common print sizes. One that comes reasonably close is the 5x7, 11x14 "tries" but is still short.

My most common print sizes for framing have been 12x18 (no cropping required) and then if I think the composition will benefit, 12x16 (4:3 ratio). I have printed tons of the smaller prints, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, "full bleed" 8.5x11, but to me those are all "coffee table" prints. The smallest prints that I've framed and hung have been 11x14 that I've matted and put into a larger frame.

Tony

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,985 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 11, 2013 22:51 |  #14

Tony I tend to print on A4 sized paper at home, sometimes cropping to 10×8 if I want a traditional looking print. The A series papers are I think the closest standard sized paper to the 35mm film format at 1.414:1 compared to 1.5:1.I used to hang A4 at home, using those cheap clip frames. I have now found a lab that will do A3 or 18/16×12 prints for less than half the cost of printing an A4 at home (excluding delivery), the quality is superb as well so now I am tending to use 16×12 as my standard display size, as I can replace the clip frames with a 20×16 frame with suitable matt from a local outlet. Yes it is a really cheap frame, but it does the job. So now I can do the prints for £1.10 each, plus £9 next day courier delivery, against about £2.50 to print an A4 at home. I'm only paying £8 a frame so if I get a few frames I can have a batch of say 10 prints done, and just swap the images about in the frames to keep them fresh and new. What is even better is that almost everybody who sees them think they look great.

I never seem to do smaller prints these days, most everybody except my mother is using FB for what I would have had 6×4/5×7 prints done for back in the film days.

Alan

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2013 23:30 |  #15

Yeah, the Web is a good "replacement" for all those 4x6 and 5x7 prints...less clutter:)! I have over 8,000 photos on my PBase site, they are fine for people to print a 4x6/5x7, but wouldn't hold up so well for an 8x10. That's all fine with me!

Tony

sponsored links

1,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
print size issue
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.